Hockey

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Ya big time Red Wings fan and I also like the LA Kings as well. My dad went to MSU so I am also a fan of Michigan St hockey and of course there is team USA for the Olympics. I was just in Anchorage, Ak for 9 months and in Calgary for 3 months talk about two hockey crazy towns. Only thing is Anchorage doesn't have an NHL team but their minor league team won their cup. Calgary has the Flames. Anyways we have some Canadian members here who are much bigger hockey fans than me. I'm more of an American Football guy, mainly college ball. I've been to a Frozen Four and watched MSU beat BC a few years ago and they shocked the college hockey world because the Eagles are strong in college hockey.

Tehol Beddict

Bench Warmer
Jan 2, 2015
Milanello
HIFK Helsinki is the team i support. Its a shame that their main rivals Jokerit went on to join the russian KHL. My favorite team in the NHL are the Islanders

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
HIFK Helsinki is the team i support. Its a shame that their main rivals Jokerit went on to join the russian KHL. My favorite team in the NHL are the Islanders
I have one question how did Jokerit join the Russian KHL isn't HIFK Helsinki the oldest club Finland? I head about this club bout not Jokerit. I assume then at one point Jokerit was originally in Finland's league? How can you go from one country's league to another? I might be missing something. As for Islanders how did you pick them out of curiosity? Do you have family from New York. I picked the kings and the wings because I lived in LA for most of my life, except for when I was in the Navy and my dad went to Michigan St so I have love for Detroit as well.
Does the Finland league have an agreement with the KHL if you win X number of championships you can get promoted to their league in Russia? What do the players do with visa issues? As for your team, you guys are looking very good in the Metropolitan division you guys are tied with Pittsburgh with 53 points very impressive but they played one less game. As for the Kings, we are 3rd in the Pacific but you know it doesn't matter if the Kings are an 8th seed they won it all before as the #8. As for my Red Army Reds, we are 3rd in the Atlantic. Last year Detroit probably got hit with more injuries than any other team. If they stay healthy they should have a bounce back year.

Tehol Beddict

Bench Warmer
Jan 2, 2015
Milanello
Well i guess change of ownership, a little bit of party bazi and the power of finnish-russian connection within the KHL made it happen. I think they are trying to imitate the NHL and make it a trans-national league.

I became an islanders fan by watching their great 80s team rolling over so many teams, dominating the whole league, winning 4 championships in a row.

Last edited:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Well i guess change of ownership, a little bit of party bazi and the power of finnish-russian connection within the KHL made it happen. I think they are trying to imitate the NHL and make it a trans-national league.
I thought it had something to so with that and I'm sure that team had connections to Russia via ownership etc. It doesn't matter where you play it all boils down to how much money you can make and you are correct historically your country and Russia always had a relationship. I guess nobody really knows how it truly goes down, unless you are in the inner circle of that orgn. How is the Finnish league is it pretty good by Euro standards? I know the KHL is only 2nd to the NHL and many of their players go to NHL teams and a good number of them are NHL caliber or they played for an NHL team and now they are going back to their league. Last year we had an NHL thread lets make this the 2015 NHL thread I'm sure people will come it's still early in the season. Wait until after the all star break or toward the playoffs when things start to heat up create a 2015 NHL thread if you like for people to post there or we can just have it here.

Tehol Beddict

Bench Warmer
Jan 2, 2015
Milanello
I thought it had something to so with that and I'm sure that team had connections to Russia via ownership etc. It doesn't matter where you play it all boils down to how much money you can make and you are correct historically your country and Russia always had a relationship. I guess nobody really knows how it truly goes down, unless you are in the inner circle of that orgn. How is the Finnish league is it pretty good by Euro standards? I know the KHL is only 2nd to the NHL and many of their players go to NHL teams and a good number of them are NHL caliber or they played for an NHL team and now they are going back to their league. Last year we had an NHL thread lets make this the 2015 NHL thread I'm sure people will come it's still early in the season. Wait until after the all star break or toward the playoffs when things start to heat up create a 2015 NHL thread if you like for people to post there or we can just have it here.
Well those relationships to russia have not been very friendly in most cases but finns can not run away from russians. They are felt like a way bigger and stronger neighbor that fins can not afford to upset. Justified or not, a great number of finns dont like the russians, most can not really explain it though. It probably has something to do with the wars in the past.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Well those relationships to russia have not been very friendly in most cases but finns can not run away from russians. They are felt like a way bigger and stronger neighbor that fins can not afford to upset. Justified or not, a great number of finns dont like the russians, most can not really explain it though. It probably has something to do with the wars in the past.
I know how you feel I have family members who are part German part Iranian and they are German citizens they hate the Russians as well. Can you blame them, after the war the country was split in two and families were separated. I'm not even going to talk about the fact that 1 out of 9 women in Berlin were raped by the Red Army. As General George S Patton put it best, "The Russians, are NO GOOD BASTARDS." Well I don't hate Russians because America got the best of old Soviet Union and won the Cold War and I've been to Russia great country and nice people(especially the women). Of course we must be honest I'm light skinned not trying to bag but I just am so I am accepted in most European countries if you are darker you probably won't be accepted in Russia, especially if you are black. Anyways back to the NHL.

I just read that Jager, at the age of 42, scored a hat trick for the Devils against the Flyers. He became the oldest player in NHL history to do so. To be playing at that level of professionalism for so long just proves the guy is probably a workout warrior during the off season. Yes you need some luck to last that long but I'm sure the guy has a work ethic second to none. As for the Finland and Russia relationship you are right they were even at odds during World War 2 and Russia is the bigger plus stronger neighbor. The Red Army could destroy Finland if they wanted to but right now they have enough of a PR nightmare with Ukraine so I think you guys are safe.This is cool though I feel like I am getting a history lesson on Finland I don't know too much about the Scandinavian countries but I love history. I am currently working on learning Spanish and German but I need to put German on the side and focus on Spanish. After all I live in Mexico Del Norte(Southern California) :)

Tehol Beddict

Bench Warmer
Jan 2, 2015
Milanello
I just read that Jager, at the age of 42, scored a hat trick for the Devils against the Flyers. He became the oldest player in NHL history to do so. To be playing at that level of professionalism for so long just proves the guy is probably a workout warrior during the off season. Yes you need some luck to last that long but I'm sure the guy has a work ethic second to none.
Either this or special talent. Jagr is a special talent, a gifted player and i dont think he works out harder than any other NHL professional. There are a lot of hard workers who dont even reach the 30s. Its more like Jagr has hockey in his blood. He knows how to play the game economically, he doesnt get his body exposed to hard hits very often so he knows how to avoid wearing out his body. He knows when to skate, when to accelerate, when to stop and protect reserves. Not many players are so naturally gifted to instinctively get all those things under one umbrella. To me he is kind of an equivalent of the great Redskins WR Art Monk, to me as a Redskins fan probably the best and the most intelligent of all times. He made catching look so easy and he played until he was 38 years of age and he looked like he still had 3, 4 years left in tank.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Well he is tactical like that WR Jerry Rice did the same thing he would take his time to get up after a hit and he would seldom go in the middle so a big linebacker could smack him. He didn't want his teammates to pick him up so he could conserve his energy and milk it before getting up. Jager is the Jerry Rice of Hockey except Rice had a workout that was legendary they would run up THE HILL which was like a 5K beast mode run or more. I don't think Jager ever did that but he doesn't need to like you said he knows the game and Hockey is in that man's blood.

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
Either this or special talent. Jagr is a special talent, a gifted player and i dont think he works out harder than any other NHL professional. There are a lot of hard workers who dont even reach the 30s. Its more like Jagr has hockey in his blood. He knows how to play the game economically, he doesnt get his body exposed to hard hits very often so he knows how to avoid wearing out his body. He knows when to skate, when to accelerate, when to stop and protect reserves. Not many players are so naturally gifted to instinctively get all those things under one umbrella. To me he is kind of an equivalent of the great Redskins WR Art Monk, to me as a Redskins fan probably the best and the most intelligent of all times. He made catching look so easy and he played until he was 38 years of age and he looked like he still had 3, 4 years left in tank.
Jagr is one of craziest guy about training, at age of 42 , he is hour before others in arena and stay over more after training. players who played with him saying he even had key of Arena in some places he played in cases when he left arena very late . That shows why he is still in excellent shape !

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Jagr is one of craziest guy about training, at age of 42 , he is hour before others in arena and stay over more after training. players who played with him saying he even had key of Arena in some places he played in cases when he left arena very late . That shows why he is still in excellent shape !
Thx dude I didn't know that so he is like the Larry Bird of Hockey, except Bird had a back injury, which cut his career shourt but both would be there an hour or two before the game working on their shot.

Tehol Beddict

Bench Warmer
Jan 2, 2015
Milanello
Could be. It doesnt change the fact that he is an exceptional talent though. There are many players who play and work their tails off and they still have to quit playing the game in their early 30s. I am not a friend of the idea to disregard peoples talent. Talent is the main factor, worth ethic complements the whole thing and rounds it up. I see you are are a habs fan. Now you got rid of Douglas Murray but do you think that guy could play in the league at the age of 40? He is now 34 and out of job. This guy could train and workout twice as much as Jagr and he wouldnt be able to last long. Bad skaters and people with a low hockey intelligence generally dont make it far in hockey not to mention in the NHL where speed and hockey IQ is even more so important. So yes, he might have a great work ethic but without his talent level he would have been out of the league long ago.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Could be. It doesnt change the fact that he is an exceptional talent though. There are many players who play and work their tails off and they still have to quit playing the game in their early 30s. I am not a friend of the idea to disregard peoples talent. Talent is the main factor, worth ethic complements the whole thing and rounds it up. I see you are are a habs fan. Now you got rid of Douglas Murray but do you think that guy could play in the league at the age of 40? He is now 34 and out of job. This guy could train and workout twice as much as Jagr and he wouldnt be able to last long. Bad skaters and people with a low hockey intelligence generally dont make it far in hockey not to mention in the NHL where speed and hockey IQ is even more so important. So yes, he might have a great work ethic but without his talent level he would have been out of the league long ago.
Yes take me with piano as an example. Now since I was a little boy about three or four years old my dad, who also has an ear for music noticed my talent. You know how when little kids play on the piano it feels like your ears are about to burst because all they do is bang on the piano? Well my dad, who plays the accordion and the piano beautifully noticed I made little melodies that were nice and pretty. Now I had the talent and this Japanese American woman noticed it when I was at a school in Orange County with a bunch of other kids. She played a tune and I was the only one who played at back(at this time I was 7 that is the earliest you can enroll your kid in music in USA for schools). She wispered to my dad, "That is a fluke let me play another tune and see if he can play it." When I played it again she whispered, "You need to take him out of this class and find him a good private teacher."I PRACTICED 2 HOURS A DAY. My dad would drive me an hour a day to Anoshiravan Rohani's younger brother Shahdad Rohani from Mission Viego to West Wood on Wednesdays(1h if no traffic usually it was 2) and paid $50 an hr, back in the 90's up to college 2000.That was a lot of money back then but I practiced 2 hours a day.

If I practiced only 30 minutes, I would have been good but I would not be able to play any piece by just reading the sheet music, for the first time without knowing the song. To get to that level, it takes 20 years of studying and practice. Jager is the same way when it comes to Hockey. He has the talent like me but you also need to have the work ethic.
Well normally I like to talk about Hockey after the all star break a few weeks before the playoffs start. That is when thing heats up and it gets interesting.

Feb 4, 2005
Hockey is an entertaining sports in which two teams of 6 players face each other and like always Toronto Maple Leafs fail to make it to playoffs!