iPhone 4 Success

Alixman984

Bench Warmer
Feb 8, 2005
Southampton/UK
Well yesterday morning I managed to pre-order my 32GB iPhone 4 sim free from Apple website, after 10 attempts - I got the confirmation that it will be ready for pick-up from my local apple store in London (all good) on 24th.

By about 12PM all stores in UK had run out of their designated stock level - meaning no more collection, only orders for 24th delivery.

Now that I want to order another one, it says it 2nd of July WTF!!

so I called my best friend who is Marketing manager for Vodafone - and he confirmed to me that it seems Apple has sold out EVERY SINGLE stock they had for the UK networks (5 networks offer iphone 4) on top of their own stock and that's why no network has opened their pre-order forms as of today!! and that was all in first 5 hours through their own website.

I guess I'm one of the lucky one who managed to reserve one yesterday, no i need to take a day off from work to go and collect it!

PLEASE DONT RUIN THIS THREAD - IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE TO SAY GO AHEAD, BUT IF YOU WANT TO TELL ME HOW CRAP APPLE/iPHONE IS AND I CAN GET A BETTER PHONE CHEAPER, THANKS BUT PLEASE KEEP IT TO YOURSELF

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
just like any other apple product this one would sell alot, but Alexi jaan try to find out how many they are actually releasing on 24th, not sure how it was in UK, but for iPhone 3GS in Canada they only released 5 per store to create a HYPE saying its sold out.

congratulation on your phone. let us know how it is.

Alixman984

Bench Warmer
Feb 8, 2005
Southampton/UK
Well Pooya Jan,

TBH I have no idea how much stock they allocated to each store but Im pretty sure its more than 5, when 3GS was lunched Apple Store in Southampton - Not even london - had 500 people waiting outside and as far I know if not all most of 'em got the phone.

To be honest, I'm a little bit dissapointed in apple as it seems they've not just sold their own stock (apple shops and apple online store) but they sold the network's stock as well, considering unlike US we have 5 major network all offering this phone to both new and upgrade customers, I think they did amazing (better for my apple shares), anyhow as I said the only reason I got it sim free was because my network (O2) stopped their unlimited plans for new contracts, but as long as I keep what I have right now, i get to keep my unlimited data.

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
Alexi jaan try to find out how many they are actually releasing on 24th, not sure how it was in UK, but for iPhone 3GS in Canada they only released 5 per store to create a HYPE saying its sold out.
And it worked and still is working. Apple has the best Marketing team right now. Look at Buzz:

4G is sold out ;)

Arian

Elite Member
Oct 28, 2004
Seattle
of course they do man.
i dont think anyone can market like them.
Or make products as good as them ;).
it's both..

they create good looking products, easy-to-use for the average user and they market it really well..

Ofcourse there are better phones out there (specs-wise), but the more techy people would go for those and not the average user.

Alixman984

Bench Warmer
Feb 8, 2005
Southampton/UK
it's both..

they create good looking products, easy-to-use for the average user and they market it really well..

Ofcourse there are better phones out there (specs-wise), but the more techy people would go for those and not the average user.
Well my friend, I really didn't want to get into spec discussion, as there is really no point - but I appreciate if anyone could point to one those phones with better specs than iPhone 4 :)

It really suck though that no network has opened their pre-order yet! need one ASAP for someone's birthday

Alixman984

Bench Warmer
Feb 8, 2005
Southampton/UK
Statment from Apple

Yesterday Apple and its carrier partners took pre-orders for more than 600,000 of Apple’s new iPhone 4. It was the largest number of pre-orders Apple has ever taken in a single day and was far higher than we anticipated, resulting in many order and approval system malfunctions. Many customers were turned away or abandoned the process in frustration. We apologize to everyone who encountered difficulties, and hope that they will try again or visit an Apple or carrier store once the iPhone 4 is in stock.

Aug 26, 2005
it's both..

You're right...and wrong. In the past there were better specced phones but most of the techy people I knew still bought iPhones. Look at our own Pooya here as exhibit A. Now, there isn't a phone out there better specs-wise really. It's on par with the best smart-phones out there.