IPL Teams with Decent Team-Work

Sep 13, 2003
USA
Thanks to ISP, I have watched 90 a few times and I noticed some improvement in IPL this year. There are some teams that show some geart team work (relative for IPL level).

1. ZobAhan: their dont have any superstar (except Rajab zadeh to some extent) but they have a fantastic team this year as opposed to 2-3 years ago that they were famous for being defensive. They have a good defense and with hiring this Brazilian striker and help of Rajabzadeh, their offense is also pretty decent this year. Their key players who have been great are Mohmmadpoor, SalehiNejad, and their good keepr Ghasemi (if I'm not mistaken he used to play for our youth NT)

2. RahAhan: I have seen their highlights and I was impressed with their team work. They are much better than Ghandi because as opposed to Ghandi they kept their players from last year. Ghandi lost their coach and they got players from Brazil and other cities. The only problem that they have is that they create so many chances but they fail to score. If they fix this problem I wouldn't be surprised to see them among top 6 teams.

3. Esteghlal: They have shown some improvements from last year and they seem to have a young and well-balanced team. Their problems is that they play way too emptional (as opposed to Saipa and Zob) and they get frustrated at fans, ref, and each other which is very destructive if they want to succeed this year. The other weakness is lask of having a 3rd striker. I think that Esteghlal's defense has been really successful with their fixed formation (sadeghi, Fekri, Ghorbani).

4. Saipa: They have been great in the last 4-5 weeks and Dr. Z seems to be getting a good handle of the team. We just have to wait and see if they can keep it up. Jalal hosseyni is a fantastic defender which reminds me of Rahman. Dariush yazdani and Shojayi have also been decent. Saipa is showing that their 6-0 result was not luck at all with their good game against Esteghlal and beating Malavan this week in Anzali 4-1 (I don't remember ever Malavan losing with 4 goals in Anzali.

I hope our teams keep showing some improvement in the area of team work, some thing that our clubs and national team have never been good at (forget the exceptions just look at the trend).

Anyways, there were just the observations that I made while watching 90 and of course noone can be certain unless they watch all games completely.

ardy

Legionnaire
Nov 25, 2004
San Diego Armando Maradona, CA
Very good analysis GA jaan. I like the competition among teams this year. It's really hard to predict the results these days.

Big thumbs up to Zob coaching staff and mangement, Dr. Bijan Zolfagharnasab and Saipa, and last but not least Bahman Forootan and his young squad.

Good management is the key to succes in IPL these days. You dont't necessary have to have a rich team in order to succeed. Just look at the stupid and naive team managment of Esteghlal Ahvaz and Sabba Battery (two of the richest team in IPL). They change their coaching staff almost every 8 weeks or so just like "Arab" teams.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2002
Antelope Valley,California
Great post, gharib jon.
Thanks for the info. I have not watched IPL this season , as much as seasons before ( it shows in my declining prediction skills). I appreciate more insights,whenever you can afford time.

Thanks

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Great post. I agree with all of it specially with Zob & Saipa and to a lesser extent Rah Ahan & EsEs. These are the only teams that you can tell they have a game plan. All of Zob Ahan's goals are due to great combinations not crosses on the goal

eshghi

News Team
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, CA
Agree with all four. Zob has been playing very nice football for some time,
but their attack was weak. DaSilva and Rajabzadeh's combination seems to
have fixed that problem, although I suspect that other teams are learning
their offensive scheme, and unless they develope other schemes, this
combination alone may not be enough to win them the league.

Saipa looks more and more impressive every week. The additon of Yazdani
has given them some much needed experience in midfield, and Vaziri and
Abasfard are two decent forwards. Saipa is the most improved.

I haven't seen much of Rahahan, but what I've seen on 90 tells me they
have been very unlucky so far. With just slightly better finishing, they
could have easily been a 16-point team. They play very nice attacking
soccer. Nice ball movement, and pretty decent individual skill. Look for
Asghari to be a hot transfer item next year. They should be a better team
in the 2nd half.

Pas was a decent team last year, but they're better this year. They have
been less consistent than others, and I think some of that has to do with
their defensive players being out of form.

Esteghlal played a beautiful brand of attacking soccer until two weeks ago.
The triangle of Akbarpoor, Nikbakht, and Enayati has been very potent.
Obviously they can't be faulted for their result against Saipa as Saipa is
proving to be very good team, but their sudden lack of scoring must be
a concern to them as other teams may have been able to figure how to
stop disrupt that triangle.