Iran April News

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Just wondering how our reform minded friends feel about Rohani's promised reforms so far and the votes they cast?! Above article was as far as the economy and this one re: political freedoms and the one below on Foreign Relations! If you feel that this particular Akhund has exceeded or even met your expectations more than any of the previous ones, please feel free to jump in and make me feel good about the whole thing! ;)

Surge in Executions and Human Rights Violations in Iran: Evidence of Rouhani's 'Moderate' Rule?

With the U.N. ambassador nomination, Iran shows its stripes

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
It is up to debate whether the savings from fuel subsidies will be spent the right way.

but to me there is no debate that long term it is good policy to raise the fuel prices and have it be closer inline with international prices.

the price of fuel in Iran was priced closer to international norms 2.5 years ago. but then foreign currency tripled.
That's while fuel (gasoline) has only gone up about 20%.

Raising fuel prices can have second and third hand derivative positive effects such as more healthy life style, less pollution, less money spent to repair infrastructure.

Less money spent on fuel inefficient technologies.

Last edited:

feyenoord

Bench Warmer
Aug 23, 2005
Refer to Esemani's comment. I am one of those reform minded friends. I have become one since past few years, seeing that there is no other option.

When it comes to the economy, what Rouhani does is not surprise and it is a must actually after the 8 years of AN disastrous rule. The positive side is also that inflation rate has dropped as well as economic growth has gone from -5 to - 1.8:http://www.kaleme.com/1393/01/13/klm-179251/

Now, if there are better ways to get to be put on the path of democratic system that rules the country I am all for it as long it is not some sort of violent way (e.g. sanctions or war) or a Hakha style populist myths that are the so called 'opposition' people and groups suggesting (which have gone no where in the past 35 years). I am all for it if you have an option I am willing to change my mind if you can convince me.

Also, I think the issue of human rights and civil ritghs is being used too much against Rouhani. There are other institutions that are responsible for them and we all know, which ones they are. I think they should be attacked. I do however agree that he made too big of promises.

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
Also, I think the issue of human rights and civil ritghs is being used too much against Rouhani. .
Rouhani Motshakerim .....

http://executioniniran.blogspot.no/2014/03/blog-post_3380.html
[h=3]دو خواهر بهایی قربانی اقلیت ستیزی در ایران شدند[/h]
صبح روز یکشنبه ۱۰ فروردین ماه ماموران وزارت اطلاعات دو شهروند بهایی ساکن مشهد به نامهای «نواخلوصی» و «نیکا خلوصی» بازداشت شدند.

صبح روز یک شنبه ۱۰ فروردین ماه ماموران وزارت اطلاعات در مشهد به منزل «نوا خلوصی» شهروند بهایی ساکن مشهد مراجعه کرده و نامبرده را بازداشت نمودند. در همین روز، ماموران وزارت اطلاعات، خواهر وی به نام «نیکا خلوصی» را که همراه مادر و پدرش برای مسافرت نوروزی در شهر بابلسر بسر میبرده است را هم بازداشت می***کنند.

یاداوری می***شود، به حکم دادگاه انقلاب مشهد این دو خواهر بهایی به اتهام تبلیغ علیه نظام و عضویت در تشکیلات بهایی به حبس تعزیری محکوم شده***اند که طبق حکم مزبور «نیکا خلوصی» به شش سال حبس و «نوا خلوصی» به ۴ سال و نیم حبس تعزیری محکوم می***باشند

feyenoord

Bench Warmer
Aug 23, 2005
Rouhani Motshakerim .....

http://executioniniran.blogspot.no/2014/03/blog-post_3380.html
[h=3]دو خواهر بهایی قربانی اقلیت ستیزی در ایران شدند[/h]
صبح روز یکشنبه ۱۰ فروردین ماه ماموران وزارت اطلاعات دو شهروند بهایی ساکن مشهد به نامهای «نواخلوصی» و «نیکا خلوصی» بازداشت شدند.

صبح روز یک شنبه ۱۰ فروردین ماه ماموران وزارت اطلاعات در مشهد به منزل «نوا خلوصی» شهروند بهایی ساکن مشهد مراجعه کرده و نامبرده را بازداشت نمودند. در همین روز، ماموران وزارت اطلاعات، خواهر وی به نام «نیکا خلوصی» را که همراه مادر و پدرش برای مسافرت نوروزی در شهر بابلسر بسر میبرده است را هم بازداشت می***کنند.

یاداوری می***شود، به حکم دادگاه انقلاب مشهد این دو خواهر بهایی به اتهام تبلیغ علیه نظام و عضویت در تشکیلات بهایی به حبس تعزیری محکوم شده***اند که طبق حکم مزبور «نیکا خلوصی» به شش سال حبس و «نوا خلوصی» به ۴ سال و نیم حبس تعزیری محکوم می***باشند
I am not a Rouhani fan or anything and I am not going to defend reform on every front. However, if you would have quoted my whole sentence and put in line with the last sentence of what you just posted, it proves what I am trying to say.
Again, if you have other options please try to convince me. I do not fall for populist sentiments though.

Oct 18, 2010
this is a good start.once boeing starts selling planes to iran it will create many jobs
here in the usa.

[h=1]Exclusive: Boeing says gets U.S. license to sell spare parts to Iran[/h]
WASHINGTON/PARIS (Reuters) - Boeing Co , the world's biggest airplane maker, on Friday said it had received a license from the U.S. Treasury Department to export certain spare parts for commercial aircraft to Iran under a temporary sanctions relief deal that began in January.

A Boeing spokesman said the company received the license this week and would now contact officials in Iran to determine which parts were needed.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns-rt-us-boeing-iran-parts-20140404,0,5379765.story

Oct 18, 2010
and ge is giving iranian aircraft engines a long needed tune up.

[h=1]GE says U.S. approved overhaul of 18 aircraft engines for Iran[/h]

(Reuters) - General Electric Co on Friday said it had received permission from the U.S. government to overhaul 18 engines sold to Iran in the late 1970s under a temporary sanctions relief deal reached in January.
GE spokesman Rick Kennedy said the U.S. Treasury Department had approved the company's application to service the 18 engines at facilities owned by GE or Germany's MTU Aero Engines , which is licensed to do the work.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/04/generalelectric-iran-engines-idUSL1N0MW1VD20140404

تائید رسمی حضور سپاه در صنعت نفت ایران

رسول سنایی***راد٬ معاون سیاسی سپاه پاسداران دخالت این نیروی نظامی در صنعت نفت را تائید کرده و گفته اگر سپاه چنین کاری نمی***کرد شرکت***های خارجی «ضربات سختی» به اقتصاد ایران می***زدند.

آقای سنایی***راد روز چهارشنبه (۱۳ فروردین) در گفتگو با سایت «بصیرت» این مطلب را بیان کرده است.

وی گفته «اگر سپاه در عرصه***هایی مانند صنعت نفت ورود پیدا نکرده بود تحریم شرکت***های خارجی می***توانستند ضربات جبران***ناپذیری به صنایع نفتی و فعالیت***های اقتصادی ما وارد کنند.»

سنایی***راد افزوده «سپاه توانسته در صنایع دقیقی مثل صنعت نفت نقش آفرینی کند و ورود سپاه به این عرصه سبب شد که خلا***ها و حفره***ها پوشانده و جبران شود.»

وی در این گفتگو اشاره***ای به جزئیات فعالیت***های نفتی سپاه پاسداران نکرده است.

در سال***های اخیر گزارش***های متعددی از ورود سپاه پاسداران به صنعت نفت ایران با «هدف» کمک به دولت احمدی***نژاد به منظور فروش نفت منتشر شده است.

از بابک زنجانی به عنوان یکی از مهم***ترین کارگزاران سپاه نام برده می***شود که به خاطر واریز نکردن پول نفتی که فروخته از سال گذشته دستگیر و زندانی شده است.

پیش***تر اسماعیل احمدی***مقدم٬ فرمانده پلیس نیز از ورود این نیروی انتظامی به صنعت نفت خبر داده و تائید کرده بود که پلیس پول نفت فروخته شده را به خزانه دولت واریز نکرده است.

سپاه پاسداران از زمان به قدرت رسیدن حسن روحانی در ایران نیز بار***ها برای همکاری با دولت یازدهم اعلام آمادگی کرده است٬ اما به نظر می***رسد آقای روحانی تمایل چندانی به این موضوع ندارد.

سنایی***راد در این زمینه گفته که «سپاه ظرفیت***های مضاعفی برای تحقق اقتصاد مقاومتی و کمک به قوه*** مجریه دارد.»

این فرمانده سپاه در عین حال افزوده «نگرانیم بعضی***ها وابستگی را عیب و ننگ نشمارند و به بهانه جهانی شدن و تعامل با سایر کشور***ها حتی وابستگی را یک نوع مزیت بشمارند.»

منظور سنایی***راد از این سخنان٬ دولت حسن روحانی است که در ماه***های اخیر محافظه***کاران تندرو انتقاد***های تندی متوجه سیاست خارجی آن کرده***اند.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
It is up to debate whether the savings from fuel subsidies will be spent the right way.
That's the debate I'm looking for. As far as subsidies themselves, outside the framework of economics is for donkeys, no sane economist or intelligent person for that matter would suggest that subsidies of the magnitude you see in Iran are beneficial. See further comments below...

Refer to Esemani's comment. I am one of those reform minded friends. I have become one since past few years, seeing that there is no other option.
When it comes to the economy, what Rouhani does is not surprise and it is a must actually after the 8 years of AN disastrous rule. The positive side is also that inflation rate has dropped as well as economic growth has gone from -5 to - 1.8:http://www.kaleme.com/1393/01/13/klm-179251/
Neither AN nor Rohani eliminated subsidies - they simply changed the pocket out of which they're paying and what was called subsidies before has now become either handouts or money in the pockets of Sepah (there are more people registered for hand-outs than the population of Iran!!!). What that means is that every Basiji family of 4 now gets $60 in handouts while AN & Rohani eliminated $10 from their monthly gasoline subsidies!

As far as your link, I don't know if the 31% inflation rate is official or just one of these numbers people pull our of their ass, but even if that's the official number, the reduction correlates exactly to the increase in the value of Rial. With the Rial on the slide again and these price increases in gas, electricity and gasoline, inflation will be back at 40% or more. That was the whole point of the article, that removing subsidies will increase inflation for ordinary Iranians while putting more money in the pockets of Sepah.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Well Everything is balancing Act. I don't see and ideal short term policy decision here.
The Pro Argument is basically backed by Price Theory.
Pros:
if you let fuel prices remain unshaped by international prices the wasteful use of fuel in Iran will continue.
The Environmental can improve or perhaps get worse slower.
Number of Miles Driven in Iran will come back to earth.
Industry and People will buy more fuel efficient technology.
Currently the Government does not have enough money to pay the subsidies. It is issuing bonds
which the central bank exclusively purchase through balance sheet expansion. This liberal Balance Sheet Expansion
from the Central Government is inject liquidity in Iran's street which has caused massive inflation.
The Move Toward cutting subsidies long term is good for Iran. Because it will make most people net Tax Payers
not net beneficiaries and thus hopefully make them more demanding of government efficiency.
Cons:
the increase in fuel prices in Iran always has second hand effect on other commodity prices.
Since Money is Fungible the a portion of Budget line item saved from Subsidy cuts can be wasted on other programs.
The Government can hold the non-anonymous subsidy over the head of those who qualify to make sure they adhere to government standards.

Overall I don't see how fuel subsidy cut can be delayed any further.
The Current system basically causes inflation which hurts the poor and lower middle class.
The Current system benefits the Rich that can better exploit low fuel prices.

feyenoord

Bench Warmer
Aug 23, 2005
Neither AN nor Rohani eliminated subsidies - they simply changed the pocket out of which they're paying and what was called subsidies before has now become either handouts or money in the pockets of Sepah (there are more people registered for hand-outs than the population of Iran!!!). What that means is that every Basiji family of 4 now gets $60 in handouts while AN & Rohani eliminated $10 from their monthly gasoline subsidies
!

Yes of course I knew this. And the fact that there are more people registered than the population is what Jahangiri (rohani's deputy) pointed to. But I am not sure why you are saying An and Rohani did this thing. These handouts are what his government actually wants to get rid off but they have no choice to implement the policy since it became a LAW during AN populist era. That is the reason why they have tried few ways to reduce amount of people who get them. For example, by asking people avoid getting them.

As far as your link, I don't know if the 31% inflation rate is official or just one of these numbers people pull our of their ass, but even if that's the official number, the reduction correlates exactly to the increase in the value of Rial. With the Rial on the slide again and these price increases in gas, electricity and gasoline, inflation will be back at 40% or more. That was the whole point of the article, that removing subsidies will increase inflation for ordinary Iranians while putting more money in the pockets of Sepah.
ok, however you want to interpret it.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Well Everything is balancing Act. I don't see and ideal short term policy decision here.
The Pro Argument is basically backed by Price Theory.
Pros:
if you let fuel prices remain unshaped by international prices the wasteful use of fuel in Iran will continue.
The Environmental can improve or perhaps get worse slower.
Number of Miles Driven in Iran will come back to earth.
Industry and People will buy more fuel efficient technology.
Currently the Government does not have enough money to pay the subsidies. It is issuing bonds
which the central bank exclusively purchase through balance sheet expansion. This liberal Balance Sheet Expansion
from the Central Government is inject liquidity in Iran's street which has caused massive inflation.
The Move Toward cutting subsidies long term is good for Iran. Because it will make most people net Tax Payers
not net beneficiaries and thus hopefully make them more demanding of government efficiency.
Cons:
the increase in fuel prices in Iran always has second hand effect on other commodity prices.
Since Money is Fungible the a portion of Budget line item saved from Subsidy cuts can be wasted on other programs.
The Government can hold the non-anonymous subsidy over the head of those who qualify to make sure they adhere to government standards.

Overall I don't see how fuel subsidy cut can be delayed any further.
The Current system basically causes inflation which hurts the poor and lower middle class.
The Current system benefits the Rich that can better exploit low fuel prices.
Esi jaan, again you're arguing the case for cutting subsidies. I don't think we need to debate that. As I said previously, the merits of cutting subsidies is not something any half intelligent would argue AGAINST. The debate is on where this money is going and how these savings are being put back into the economy - that's where they were supposed to go, but they obviously didn't. Where are they going under Rohani? Who's reaping the benefits of cutting subsidies, ordinary Iranians?

And that brings me to the question for both of you... You were both arguing that Rohani's election is going to help ordinary Iranians. That people like me don't care for, or are not in tuned with the plight of, ordinary Iranians. So, what I'm asking you is how is any of this, cutting subsidies, rising inflation, rising price of utilities and gasoline, or stagnant employment since this money's not going back into the economy, helping ordinary Iranians?!

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Esi jaan, again you're arguing the case for cutting subsidies. I don't think we need to debate that. As I said previously, the merits of cutting subsidies is not something any half intelligent would argue AGAINST. The debate is on where this money is going and how these savings are being put back into the economy - that's where they were supposed to go, but they obviously didn't. Where are they going under Rohani? Who's reaping the benefits of cutting subsidies, ordinary Iranians?

And that brings me to the question for both of you... You were both arguing that Rohani's election is going to help ordinary Iranians. That people like me don't care for, or are not in tuned with the plight of, ordinary Iranians. So, what I'm asking you is how is any of this, cutting subsidies, rising inflation, rising price of utilities and gasoline, or stagnant employment since this money's not going back into the economy, helping ordinary Iranians?!
Well As I said I do not have perfect answer for you.

Since the Government is financing Subsidies via Borrowing from Central Bank then I definitely think at the very least Subsidies cut will help the inflation issue.

But money is fungible and you are right. some of these saving will definitely find its way to Seda O Sima Budget and ....

But at the moment Iran's Capital Expenditures is at an all time low, the Government owes so much to the contractors that I think most of the money savings is going to have to be paid to all debt holders of the government.
Again, you might argue the Entities with connections will receive their money first. and I have no quarrel with that.

All I am saying since the current system is not sustainable
and Since the Targeted Subsidies actually has helped the poor and folks in Villages

I do think overall this is a good policy for the country.

Now this may very well hurt the some of the people that Voted For Rouhani, That is Middle Class and Upper Middle Class will likely get hurt more by this than helped by it in the short term.

think about this way better this system implemented now than a future democratically elected government wanting to implement such a painful system.

Oct 18, 2010
a rare analysis from an iranian viewpoint.it's a required read for all the western oriented
pundits in the think tanks around the world.

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: articleTitle"][h=1]Iran, Orientalism and Western illusions about Syria[/h][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: Tmp_hSpace10"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][h=2]Over 100,000 deaths and millions of refugees later, is the Western narrative similar to what Iranians have been saying?[/h]
One of the many strange paradoxes promoted for decades in the Western narrative on the Islamic Republic of Iran - consistently repeated by so-called "Iran experts", government officials, and the Western propaganda machine in general - is that Iran is growing increasingly unstable and unpopular (if notimploding), yet simultaneously it is on the rise and its "menacing" influence can be felt throughout the region and beyond.
Of course, the internal contradictions of this discourse are linked to Orientalist stereotypes and attitudes prevalent in the West among mainstream secular liberals, pseudo-progressives, and neo-conservatives alike, who cannot grasp the possibility of a stable and legitimate political order that is not based on Western "values".
For such people - even those critical of Western support for despots, extremism, apartheid in Palestine, mass surveillance and cyber warfare, hegemony, liberal capitalism, plutocracy, secret prisons and torture as well as the perpetual pursuit of "liberation" through coups, wars, drones, terror, assassinations, and carnage - these "values" and "ideas" are still somehow universal. Thus, they view Western states as effectively exceptional or at least more civilised than others. Even for the so-called "progressives", despite these characteristics that have existed at least since the rise of colonialism, in the words of Joseph Conrad, "what redeems it is the idea only".
Hence, pundits, academics, native informants, and other "experts" in Western think-tanks and corporate media, hold discussions and write books and articles, analysing the "pathologies" of countries like Iran for the benefit of a Western audience and often with an eye towards policymakers and funders.

Read more:
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2014/04/iran-orientalism-western-illusio-20144383631581810.html

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Oct 18, 2010
thomas friedman gets it when it comes to iran/usa and the apartheid regime in isreal and it's
agents in american politics.with 'citizens united' and the ruling by the supreme court last week scums
like sheldon adelson will be the real king and rule over all americans with their money and suicidal thoughts.

[h=2]Sheldon: Iran’s best friend[/h]The New York Times
By Thomas L. Friedman

It occurred to me the other day that the zealously pro-Israel billionaire Sheldon Adelson and Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, actually have one big thing in common. They are both trying to destroy Israel. Adelson is doing it by loving Israel to death and Khamenei by hating Israel to death. And now even Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey inadvertently got drawn into this craziness.
What’s the logic? Very simple. Iran’s leaders want Israel destroyed but have no desire, in my view, to use a nuclear bomb to do it. That would expose them to retaliation and sure death. Their real strategy is more subtle: Do everything possible to ensure that Israel remains in the “occupied territory,” as the U.S. State Department refers to the West Bank, won by Israel in the 1967 war. By supporting Palestinian militants dedicated to destroying any peace process, Tehran hopes to keep Israel permanently mired in the West Bank and occupying 2.7 million Palestinians, denying them any statehood and preventing the emergence of a Palestinian state that might recognize Israel and live in peace alongside it. The more Israel is stuck there, the more Palestinians and the world will demand a “one-state solution,” with Palestinians given the right to vote. The more Israel resists that, the more isolated it becomes.
Iran and its ally Hamas have plenty of evidence that this strategy is working: Israel’s 47-year-old occupation of the West Bank has led it to build more settlements there and in doing so make itself look like the most active colonial power on the planet today. The 350,000 Israeli settlers in the West Bank reinforce that view by claiming their presence in the West Bank is not about security but a divinely inspired project to reunite the Jewish people with their biblical homeland.
The result is a growing movement on college campuses and in international organizations to isolate and delegitimize the Jewish state because of this occupation. This “B.D.S. movement” — to boycott, divest from and sanction Israel — is gaining adherents not only among non-Jews on American campuses but even within some Hillels, campus Jewish centers.
Iran could not be happier. The more Israel sinks into the West Bank, the more it is delegitimized and isolated, the more the world focuses on Israel’s colonialism rather than Iran’s nuclear enrichment, the more people call for a single democratic state in all of historic Palestine.
And now Iran has an ally: Sheldon Adelson — the foolhardy Las Vegas casino magnate and crude right-wing, pro-Israel extremist. Adelson gave away some $100 million in the last presidential campaign to fund Republican candidates, with several priorities in mind: that they delegitimize the Palestinians and that they avoid any reference to the West Bank as “occupied territories” and any notion that the U.S. should pressure Israel to trade land for peace there. Both Newt Gingrich and Mitt Romney took the money and played by Sheldon’s rules.
In case you missed it, the R.J.C., the Republican Jewish Coalition, held a retreat last weekend at an Adelson casino in Las Vegas. It was dubbed “the Sheldon Primary.” Republicans lined up to compete for Adelson’s blessing and money, or as Politico put it: “Adelson summoned [Jeb] Bush and Govs. Chris Christie of New Jersey, John Kasich of Ohio and Scott Walker of Wisconsin to Las Vegas. ... The new big-money political landscape — in which a handful of donors can dramatically alter a campaign with just a check or two — explains both the eagerness of busy governors to make pilgrimages to Las Vegas, and the obsession with divining Adelson’s 2016 leanings.”
Adelson personifies everything that is poisoning our democracy and Israel’s today — swaggering oligarchs, using huge sums of money to try to bend each system to their will.
Christie, in his speech, referred to the West Bank as “occupied territories” — as any knowledgeable American leader would. This, Politico said, “set off murmurs in the crowd.” Some Republican Jews explained to Christie after he finished that he had made a terrible faux pas. (He called something by its true name and in the way the U.S. government always has!) The West Bank should be called “disputed territories” or “Judea and Samaria,” the way hard-line Jews prefer. So, Politico reported, Christie hastily arranged a meeting with Adelson to explain that he misspoke and that he was a true friend of Israel. “The New Jersey governor apologized in a private meeting in the casino mogul’s Venetian office shortly afterward,” Politico reported. It said Adelson “accepted” Christie’s “explanation” and “quick apology.”
Read that sentence over and contemplate it.
I don’t know if Israel has a Palestinian partner for a secure withdrawal from the West Bank, or ever will. But I know this: If Israel wants to remain a Jewish, democratic state, it should be doing everything it can to nurture such a partner or acting unilaterally to get out. Because, I’m certain that when reports about the “Adelson primary” reached the desk of Supreme Leader Khamenei in Tehran, a big smile crossed his face and he said to his aides: “May Allah grant Sheldon a long life. Everything is going according to plan.”

Oct 18, 2010
this is funny to the point of being comical.maybe he is trying
to make a comedy sketch for snl or something.but i would title
this 'young dumb jew gets owned in vienna'.

[video=youtube_share;uE6bV7-IgTA]http://youtu.be/uE6bV7-IgTA[/video]