Iran says London 2012 logo ....

no sure if I laugh or ....

AFP March 1, 2011, 2:29 am

TEHRAN (AFP) - Iran has protested against the already controversial logo for the 2012 Olympic Games, saying the emblem is racist and spells the word 'Zion,' the ILNA news agency reported on Monday.
Iran's national Olympic committee have written to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) making an official complaint about the logo and are threatening to boycott the Games.
The jagged, multi-coloured emblem, which reportedly cost £400,000 (nearly $650,000), features four bold numerals representing 2012, with the signature Olympic Rings emblazoned within the digit zero.
But Mohammad Aliabadi, head of the national Olympic committee in the Islamic republic, said the logo was undermining the event and accused the British organisers of indulging in "racism," ILNA reported.
"Unfortunately, we all are witnessing that the upcoming Olympics ... faces a serious challenge, definitely spawned out of some people's racist spirit," Aliabadi said in a letter to IOC president Jacques Rogge.
"The use of the word Zion by the designer of the Olympics logo ... in the emblem of the Olympics Games 2012 is a very revolting act," he added, warning that if Rogge did not act, the logo would "affect the participation of several countries, especially Iran, which insists on following principles and values".
Zion is a biblical that often refers to the city Jerusalem.
London 2012 chiefs expressed surprise at the claims.
A London 2012 spokeswoman said: "The London 2012 logo represents the year 2012, nothing else. It was launched in 2007 following testing and consultation, we are surprised that this complaint has been made now."
The IOC have confirmed that they have received a letter from the Iranian national Olympic committee but have backed London's position on the logo, saying in a statement: "The London 2012 logo represents the figure 2012, nothing else."

Jojeh Mashtee

Bench Warmer
May 14, 2003
CA
Dude that totally looks like the number "2012"
Those guys must be suffering from Paranoia!
There is medication for that disorder! lol

btw, did you guys know that the popular old car in Iran called "Jiian" was actually the French word for "Zion" ???
hahaha.... in that case, they should burn all the Jiians in Iran! lol

Khaak too sareh in a ke be che chizai gir midan.... badbakhta mamlekhato doros konin chera chert migin! lol

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
btw, did you guys know that the popular old car in Iran called "Jiian" was actually the French word for "Zion" ???
hahaha.... in that case, they should burn all the Jiians in Iran! lol
Not sure about this. Jian is said to be the Persian version of the English name Dyane for the same model of the Citroen 2CV.
I have also read somewhere that Jian comes from ancient Persian meaning strong or fierce.

In any case, I don't think it means Zion in any language. Do you have a link?

Jojeh Mashtee

Bench Warmer
May 14, 2003
CA
Not sure about this. Jian is said to be the Persian version of the English name Dyane for the same model of the Citroen 2CV.
I have also read somewhere that Jian comes from ancient Persian meaning strong or fierce.

In any case, I don't think it means Zion in any language. Do you have a link?
You know what , you may be correct. I had heard that from a friend.

May 9, 2004
به نظر من این لگو اصلا کلمه نیست
به نظر می رسه یک زن مو فرفری داره برای یک مرد شکم گنده س*ک می زنه