Iran vs. Lebanon World Cup Qualification [R]

houmanbahal

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2005
Iran vs. Lebanon

Tuesday June 11, 2013
11:30 AM EST
8:30 AM PST

Lets go IRANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
The guy with the bird in the first picture is too important to be put on bench. Specially in favour for a moron like Shojaei! I know CQ will never come to his senses about IPL based players and think anyone playing in Europe has the right to play in TM first but I hope he hits his head on a wall or something and gets a bit dizzy before he's selecting the starting line-up. ;)

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
^^Since as usual we come to our senses in minute 90 (be it preparing for an exam or being 100% focused for a game), I think we'll win.

I mean at this point even with $h*tty tactics of CQ, we should be able to beat Lebanon in Azadi!

Shahram

Elite Member
Oct 21, 2002
I think we will win with a margin of more than one goal. Hopefully, it will be 3-4 goals with a little luck! The lebanese side will be missing three players from their starting formation in defence, midfield and forwards. One of them is Haitham Faour . He is a key player in the midfield. Look what this article says about him. The article also mentions fitness problems with the Lebanese squad in the second half of their match against South Korea. Those problems becomes acute in city at a high altitude such as Tehran.

BEIRUT: Lebanon’s slim hopes of World Cup qualification were extinguished Tuesday after they battled to a heroic 1-1 draw against South Korea in Cite Sportive. Hasan Maatouk opened the scoring for the hosts in the 11th minute before South Korea snatched a vital point in the dying seconds from Kim Chiwoo’s freekick.

“On the one hand I’m very happy with what we are doing today.” Lebanon coach Theo Bucker said during the post-match press conference.

“Compared to Korea we have nothing and in the end we were beaten by the referee, he was their twelfth man.”

“What we are showing with these players I’m happy. This is not possible in football, actually this is a miracle.” A surprisingly heartened Bucker added.

Some shoddy early decisions from whistle-happy referee Benjamin Wallace stifled the early exchanges between both sides with attacks coming intermittently in a cagey start to the match. Abbas Atwi’s scuffed effort on three minutes underlined the rugged nature of the crunch qualifier.

Playing with an attack-minded 3-5-2 formation, Korea’s charge slowly gathered pace as Lee Dong-gook slipped his defender only to be denied by a smothering save from Abbas Hasan 10 minutes in.

Lebanon’s riposte was swift and decisive. Atwi’s 11th-minute corner caused a goal-mouth scramble with Mohammad Haidar’s cutback locating Maatouk who drilled his effort low into the bottom corner.

The goal galvanized the players along with the elated fans as the decibel levels in the stadium ratcheted up a notch with the Lebanese eleven benefiting immensely.

Drafted in at right-back, flamboyant Safa winger Mohammad Zein Tahan was lending support in the final third, using overlaps to strengthen the Cedars on the flank as they continued to venture forward.

Haitham Faour was his usual dynamic self at the heart of midfield and the defensive destroyer found a open crevasse in behind Korea, but a rush of blood to the head led to an aimless strike that fizzled wide.

Moments later goal-scorer Maatouk nearly doubled his tally, cutting inside his defenders with a blistering run that culminated in another meek effort that Jung Sungryong gathered comfortably.

Their profligacy nearly proved costly as a Dong-gook side-foot came back off the post before Youssef Mohammad produced a majestic goal-line clearance from the rebound.

Then Lee Chung-yong’s header forced Hasan into a theatrical but nonetheless effective save before tipping a Kim free kick over the bar to preserve Lebanon’s lead.

The hosts had gradually slipped back into their customary 4-5-1 formation, allowing Korea ample room to operate in the final third.

And just before the break Dong-gook grazed the bar with a ferocious strike after Walid Ismail’s haphazard past gifted him sight of goal.

Following the restart, the adventurous Tahan made a menacing run through the hub of the Korean defense before being ushered off the ball as catcalls for a penalty erupted.

Lebanon’s attacks faded with every passing second as fitness levels of their players dropped considerably.
And Korea got the ball rolling on the other end with Chung-yong forcing Hasan into another save, this time with his feet before Korea wasted another gilt-edge chance with a free header that sailed over the bar.

Hasan Chaito should have doubled Lebanon’s lead shortly thereafter when a piercing run from Haidar stretched the guest’s backline but the Ahed man lashed his wild effort high and wide from the subsequent cross.

Hasan repeatedly kept the guests at bay with a slew of fine saves and when South Korea again were denied by the post, all signs pointed to another famous victory for the Lebanese.

Tahan could have put the result beyond doubt after galloping down the throat of the Korean defense, but his hasty toe-poke whistled past the right-hand post.

Remarkably, Korea then rattled the post for the third time with Hasan saving the rebound before another last-ditch clearance ended a hellish skirmish in the Lebanon 18-yard-box.

Korea were attacking with reckless abandon as Lebanon sat deeper and deeper in their own half. And just before stoppage time substitute Son Myung-min came agonizingly close to an equalizer making a despairing lunge for a loose ball that escaped his reach.

The Lebanese faithful were sensing the most unlikely of victories, but when the fourth official signaled for seven added minutes, suddenly you could hear a pin drop.

The Cedars did their utmost to deliver just that, hoofing the ball to safety at every possible chance as well as resorting to time wasting through feigned injuries.

Their efforts were to be in vain, as another soft decision from Wallace handed Korea a dangerous fee kick on the edge of the box.

Kim made no mistake this time, curling his effort past Hasan to break Lebanese hearts and register a crucial point for his side in their bid for World Cup qualification.

The downbeat mood was exacerbated when Ismail was given his marching orders for a second bookable offense and with him departed Lebanon’s tenuous chances of an unprecedented appearance at Rio 2014.

Feb 24, 2012
^^Since as usual we come to our senses in minute 90 (be it preparing for an exam or being 100% focused for a game), I think we'll win.

I mean at this point even with $h*tty tactics of CQ, we should be able to beat Lebanon in Azadi!
To me it looked like we had a lot of potential against Qatar, but either the players were too nervous or the tactic was very bad... I hope they can correct their errors before the 11th

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
But that is OK, right? Then we are 3rd, so we still have a chance?
Esfandiyar jaan, we've already clinched third for all intents and purposes. The only way we won't finish third is if we lose both our games and Qatar beats Uzbekistan and the deficit margin in our losses + Qatar's win margin > 5! In other words, if we lose to Lebanon 2-0, lose to Korea 2-0 and Qatar beats Uzbekistan 2-0, we won't finish third. Mathematically it's still possible, but realistically the deal has been sealed.

Feb 15, 2006
Copenhagen-Denmark
I say it's going to be 3-0 Iran, at least! :)
Beat this guy, then Lebanon is beaten.
Unfortunetly we don't produce many goals agaist even crappy keepers.
Now you want us to put 3 in against a Lebaniese parking Bus + Asias absolute best keeper at the moment?
3-0 ha? dadash ba noon bekhor sir shi :)
Abbas Hassan is Lebanons answer to our Daniel Davari.
Born og raised in Sweden, played for Sweden U national team, he has a europian football mentality and he is very very good.
Dont forget he became MOM in 1-0 defeat of Iran.
as I mentioned in the other thread: I hope he has an off day in Azadi.

2001837_full-lnd.jpg

reza_na

Bench Warmer
Dec 29, 2003
Vancouver
Beat this guy, then Lebanon is beaten.
Unfortunetly we don't produce many goals agaist even crappy keepers.
Now you want us to put 3 in against a Lebaniese parking Bus + Asias absolute best keeper at the moment?
3-0 ha? dadash ba noon bekhor sir shi :)
Abbas Hassan is Lebanons answer to our Daniel Davari.
Born og raised in Sweden, played for Sweden U national team, he has a europian football mentality and he is very very good.
Dont forget he became MOM in 1-0 defeat of Iran.
as I mentioned in the other thread: I hope he has an off day in Azadi.

View attachment 34221
Agree that's hes been very good for them, but hes been good mostly at home and the last time they played iran we put 5 past him . Having said that hes confidence is very high, and the best way to deal with a keeper like that is to get an early goal. the more the game goes goalless the more hes confidence will built up.