iran wrestling Trivia

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
With all the excitement around wrestling, I thought I would post a wrestling trivia challenge. all of my questions are related to Freestyle wrestling.

1. This Iranian wrestler has more gold medals (olympics and world championship) than any other Iranian wrestler.

2. This Iranian wrestler has more medals (olympics and world championship) than any other iranian wrestler

3. This 23 year old shocked everyone by winning silver in his first and only world championship participation. He later became very famous in a different profession.

4. This wrestler was seen as the best ever, and was undefeated for years. he was on his way in winning his second olympic gold when he suddently got caught and got pinned. ( I will post the painful video later)

5. This wrester dominated his division and won thee golds in a row including an olympic medal. He retired due to an injury, but came out of retirement a few years later two win a silver in a division 40 Kg heavier than his previos division

6. this wrestler participated in 4 olmpics, won 1 gold, 2 silver medals and one 4th place

Shahin2000

Bench Warmer
Oct 19, 2002
Since the purpose of this trivia is to draw from your memory, I will answer them without doing any research...
1. I believe the answer is Abdollah Movahed
2. Takhti
3. Fardin
4. Don't know
5. Rasul Khadem
6. Don't know

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
most of you got most of the questions right, none of you got all of them right.

The correct answers are:

1. This Iranian wrestler has more gold medals (olympics and world championship) than any other Iranian wrestler. Movahed with total of 6 gold medals
2. This Iranian wrestler has more medals (olympics and world championship) than any other iranian wrestler Takhti with total of 7 medals
3. This 23 year old shocked everyone by winning silver in his first and only world championship participation. He later became very famous in a different profession. Fardin
4. This wrestler was seen as the best ever, and was undefeated for years. he was on his way in winning his second olympic gold when he suddently got caught and got pinned. ( I will post the painful video later) Habibai, and here is the painful video I promised [video=youtube;l0AVmEp3U-8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0AVmEp3U-8[/video]

5. This wrester dominated his division and won thee golds in a row including an olympic medal. He retired due to an injury, but came out of retirement a few years later two win a silver in a division 40 Kg heavier than his previos division Rasoul Khadem who won gold in 90 Kg, and later silver in 130 Kg
6. this wrestler participated in 4 olmpics, won 1 gold, 2 silver medals and one 4th place Jahan Pahlavan Takhti

Agha Shojaa

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2002
Canada
Thanks for thread agha Farsheed.

During my times in Iran, I can confidently say that I followed wrestling more than any other sports. And Rasoul was indeed something else. What a genius. For some reason, I also liked Majid Torkan a lot. Who will forget the rivalry between him with Yourdanof (sp?), who was another Bulgarian genius. Does anyone remember Zeinalnia in 48kg? I remember one year he had to shave his head to make it to 48kg. Those days were for sure so different.

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
Agha Shoja khan

First of all, I must tell you that I am still thankful to you for the signed Iran Tshirt that you got me. For those of you reading this, Agha Shoja generously gave a signed tshirt that he got at the world championship to me, someone that he had just met on this forum. I am still touched by the generosity.

Secondly, I remember everyone and everything you mention. The truth is, because of all the rule changes, wrestling is not what it used to be, and luck has become a much bigger factor. Having said that, I still get chils when Iran wins gold

Agha Shojaa

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2002
Canada
Agha Farshid e aziz,
man koochike shomam. Ghabel nadasht doosteh aziz. I hope one day I will have the pleasure of meeting you.

You are right though. Rules change has not helped for sure. I just hope they keep wrestling as an olympian sport because there were talks that they were going to remove it due to lack of interest.

On another note, do you remember Behrouz Yari? He was AmirReza Khadem's main rival in Iran in 74kg. I heard he was arrested and sentenced to many years in jail for armed robbery.

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
Aghja Shoja

I would love to meet you some day. If you ever come to SEattle, you can stay at my house and I will be honored to have you as my guest.

I must confess I don't remember Behrooz Yari, you have finally stumped me on wrestling trivia :)

Shahin2000

Bench Warmer
Oct 19, 2002
With regards to Khadem at superheavy weight, I have that tape... it was the 1998 worlds in Tehran. He wrestled Rodriguez of Cuba and finished 2nd. That was the first year that an American team had set foot in Iran since the revolution. I will upload some of those matches when I get to it.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Very nice trivia , I got the first 3 right ... I have one for you guys , which Iranian wrestler is considered as the unluckiest Olympian ever ,having beaten the gold and silver medal winners and drawaing with the bronze medal winner and ending up at 4th place without losing a single match ?!

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
Very nice trivia , I got the first 3 right ... I have one for you guys , which Iranian wrestler is considered as the unluckiest Olympian ever ,having beaten the gold and silver medal winners and drawaing with the bronze medal winner and ending up at 4th place without losing a single match ?!
this is a good one, I don't know!!

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
yeah I remember the 98 championships, Rodriguez from Cuba looked a good two weight classes bigger than Khadem because I remember thinking there is no way Khadem is gonna beat this guy when he walked onto the mat, he was huge.

but the 98 championships were really special I attended some of the matches. wrestling is really a special sport