Iranian IQ!

The_Referee

National Team Player
Mar 26, 2005
Jabolqa Opposite Jabolsa
According to the following Wikipedia site, Iran stands 54th country in the world with average IQ of 84!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_and_the_Wealth_of_Nations

It is much debated and criticized. However, I thought it might be a good idea to share. I am sure many of our compatriots will find this outrageously wrong as many of our folks think Iranians are the most intelligent of all.

lisa

Football Fan
Jan 10, 2008
can i ask who take this numbers?
iranian people always are in mistake and i think they never really go to thinkin
iranian people are clever but their conditions are so bad and always think money and how can they be alive

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
IQ tests are not really a measure of intelligence. The wording in the test is also extremely important in determining the most correct answer. So an IQ test designed in English can not just be directly translated to another language and tested in the same manner (even if it was translated in this case).

On a lighter note though, it does seem to confirm that the exiled Iranians are bringing up the average of coutries like the US and Canada and were REALLY a brain drain on Iran compliments of the IR. ;)

Javeed

National Team Player
Nov 12, 2002
The wording in the test is also extremely important in determining the most correct answer.
This reminds me of a GRE test I took a few month after I came to US. I don't know if the format is still the same or not but at that time in analytical section they stated some "facts" followed by several questions. One of the question was about strike/hit/ball of a pitcher and a relief pitcher. Not even knowing a sport with the name of baseball existed, the only translation I knew of the word pitcher was the pitcher as a liquid container. I was never that confused in my entire life.

Lulu

Ball Boy
May 23, 2004
I don't believe in this figures. It doesn't mean anything at all. I tried many different IQ tests myself and they can give very different conclusions.

I believe Iranian people are very clever, if there's a fair and reliable source of test, you should be at least in top 10! Also, talking about where I am from (the city of Beijing), I have to admit people there are incredibly clever as well. I alwayse feel pressured when I was living there and that was why i moved to England, hehe
:1:. I am much more confident now.

Last edited:

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
Albatteh agar saraan keshvar :8: ro az mo'aadeleh khaarej konim, miyaangineh IQ az 84 beh 120 mireseh!!:--biggrin

May 9, 2004
Imagine if we had a few more Timsars in Iran, we'll be in much better shape.. :1:
بنده فکر میکنم هزاران ایرانی ای کیویی بالا تر از بنده داشته باشند و به این اماری که دوست عزیزمان ریفری زده اعتقادی ندارم
بحث بحث نژاد پرستی نیست ولی در بین عربها بجز مصریان کمتر کسی را دیده ام که ای کیو بالایی داشته باشد
ولی ایرانیان زیادی را دیده ام که بهتر از اروپاییان بوده اند و همچنین در این امار جالبترین همه روسیه است که در ردیف بیست و هشتم قرار گرفته واقعا خنده دار است روسها (نه کشورهای قدیم اتحاد جماهیر شوروی ) از باهوشترین افراد هستند ولی با ید عرض کنم که همانطور که قبلا گفتم ای کیو فقط جوانبی از هوش بشری را نمایان میکند و به نظر من معیار دقیقی برای قیاس هوش افراد نیست

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2004
1:
نه جناب بنده در مورد ای کیو خودم شوخی نمی کنم...
و الا همانطور که گفتم ای کیو بنده 175 است حالا شما میخواهید باور کنید یا نه هیچ چیزی تغییر نمی ک
2:
بنده فکر میکنم هزاران ایرانی ای کیویی بالا تر از بنده داشته باشند
نادانان اين چنين غلو و دروغ گويند تا افشا شوند

The two above statements are in conflict. If your IQ is 175 then there cannot be thousands of Iranians with higher IQ than yours. For a population that has an IQ of 100, about the average for the UK, and higher than that reported for Iran, between in 1 in 700K to 1 in 3.5M have an IQ of 175 or higher. This means that for a population of 70 million, about that of Iran, at best 100 Iranians have an IQ of 175 or higher and probably the number is closer to 50 or less.

The_Referee

National Team Player
Mar 26, 2005
Jabolqa Opposite Jabolsa
Folks,

I am not saying this article is right on sot.
But you need to consider a few things before judging:
- IQ and potential to have a high IQ are two different things. IQ is much correlated with wealth of nations and their system of education as well as with other gentic and biological factors.
- The fact that some of us saying we have seen this or that proves that our measurements are very subjective. I am sure the scientific world have their own ways of trying to avoid the same mistakes.
- Many of Iranians living in the West are from wealthy educated backgrounds and normally have a high average IQ compared to the rest of Iranians and to the Westerners. Off course, we would feel we have a higher IQ than average Westerner. You need to compare apple to apple.

Now with all the above, just try to go back in your imagination to, say Yasuj, Semnan, Shahroud etc. and compare a train load of passengers. How many of them you see reading? Compare than to an average train trip in a remote area of your residence.(I said train trip as it is almost impossible to read in city bus trips in Iran.) Brain like muscles need exercise too. If Iranians do not use them and do not read then their brain is going to go weak.

Anyhow, I knew some of you guys will take this too personally and outragous. That is why I warned beforehand. I wish the numbers were different for my people. Hopefully in the future things will change as it did for Japan (Not sure about their IQ but their average height has definitely changed).