Iranian President selection thread

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Bi-honar jan I'm reading the post but I still fail to see your logic. You're saying that voting blank would have caused in-fighting like "last time" they cheated. Well, last time it caused an uprising, and I don't see "Mr. Blank being available leading another one. Then you talk about it causing in-fighting, which is not exactly what happened last time either, as in-fighting happened after things settled. Most importantly, why would voting blank cause an in-fighting but a vote to reject their candidates wouldn't? Sorry, but your theory is shaky at best.

First of all, your box is just an imaginary box. People in Iran are very well connected with what happens globally. The view that they are bombarded by state propaganda and brainwashed is another example that the expat community is out of touch with realities inside Iran.

What do you even mean? We are talking about the political behavior of the Iranian society and whether their support for voting is justified or not. Are you saying Iranian youth don't matter in that context because for whatever reason government policies are not driven by them? What is next, women don't matter because they're not represented in the government? I don't even understand what you're saying here.

Who said anything about how people inside Iran view their position in the world. Again, we are talking about their political behavior with respect to voting. What does this have anything to do with our discussion?

So we don't need to be receptive to their viewpoint even when we are judging it with regards to their decisio. Why would they then be interested to see the world's viewpoint through our lens, when we make no effort to understand their viewpoint? There is a reason that the opposition outside Iran is subject of the mockery of people inside, and you just explained that reason perfectly.

By the way, you said that we are exposed to all viewpoints here, so I ask again, who is representing the young generation's viewpoint here?
Khodam jaan, reading this post and your posts in general, I think there's an inherent difference in the way we look at things. You tend to focus on short periods of time to draw your conclusions, generally from one day to two years, whereas I tend to look at much longer periods of time generally from 2-10 years. That's why it's easy for you to proclaim that Khatami undertook some great reforms that changes the history of Iran, because at most you look at the first two years of his presidency, whereas I would say that his changes were merely cosmetic and non-structural, before nothing that he did lasted through my two year outlook.

The same thing applies to your post here. You think analyze the in-fighting and fractures within the regime using that 6 month to 2 year outlook and conclude that the infighting had nothing to do with the cheating on the elections because it falls outside your outlook period. The infighting had infact begun prior to the last election and we're simply half way through an outlook period of 10 years. It's tough to reach any consensus when our outlooks are so different, because even when I have conceded that certain things did happen for short periods of time (as I have done many times in the Khatami argument), you're not willing to accept that certain things did not follow through for longer periods - you're just not willing to budge past that 6 month to 2 year outlook and in terms of the general population in Iran, I highly doubt they look even that far ahead - most issues are looked at either as what they are today or what they were 16 years ago, 35 years ago, 60 years ago or 106 years ago. There's very little in terms of looking to the future IMHO.

Feb 22, 2005
What the f*** is "Flexibility of Shariah"? Does that have to do with smaller rocks to use when stoning women to death so it does not hurt the hand of the thrower?

F*** anyone who believes in Shariah laws. Too many Iranians lost their lives, got tortured, limps cut, stoned, and executed. And F*** the regime supporters for supporting the Shariah loving regime.

His final thesis is about "The Flexibility of Shariah". Did you get the Picture?Glasscow is not exactly best place on earth to study Shariah low.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2002
Now, someone like Rohani gets to go to University in UK with a different name ;) and complete s PHD program with that "Thesis" !!!
Actually, Hassan Freydun is his real name. His brother (who is rumored to be his future chief of staff) is Hosseyn Freydun. Rowhani is the probably the title they gave him in Qum because Hojjatuleslam Freydun sounded too comic!
I suspect like many UK universities, this one offers Research-only PhDs; i.e. you don't have to attend any classes; just submit and defend a research thesis.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
Actually, Hassan Freydun is his real name. His brother (who is rumored to be his future chief of staff) is Hosseyn Freydun. Rowhani is the probably the title they gave him in Qum because Hojjatuleslam Freydun sounded too comic!
I suspect like many UK universities, this one offers Research-only PhDs; i.e. you don't have to attend any classes; just submit and defend a research thesis.
Under no circumstances I will put any weight or give a rats rump about who an akhound is or what he says or does, but never deviate from truth or become a victim of propaganda. Truth needs to be told.

Glasgow Caledonian University has welcomed the election of one of its alumni, Dr Hassan Rouhani, as the next President of Iran.

The Principal and Vice-Chancellor of GCU, Professor Pamela Gillies, CBE, said: “I would like to congratulate our alumnus, Hassan Rouhani, on being elected President of Iran, a truly significant achievement.
“I hope his period as a scholar at Glasgow Caledonian University will prove beneficial as he assumes office, and I wish him every success as he works towards a positive future for Iran and its people.”

Dr Rouhani, who was a clear winner of the Iranian Presidential election capturing more than 50% of the vote, studied at GCU in the 1990s under his family name of Hassan Feridon. He was awarded an MPhil in 1995. His thesis was entitled The Islamic Legislative Power with reference to the Iranian experience. In 1999, Dr Rouhani gained a PhD with his thesis, The Flexibility of Shariah (Islamic Law), with reference to the Iranian experience.

Dr Rouhani’s election campaign videos featured pictures of Glasgow Caledonian University and the former GCU student spoke warmly of his time in the city. On Tuesday, June 18, the Glasgow-based Herald newspaper reported on Dr Rouhani’s first news conference in Tehran, quoting him as saying he would “follow the path of moderation and justice, not extremism”.

“We have to enhance mutual trust between Iran and other countries,” said Dr Rouhani. “We have to build trust.”
Dr Rouhani will succeed Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as President of Iran when he demits office in August.

http://www.gcu.ac.uk/newsevents/news/article.php?id=59642

May 12, 2007
What the f*** is "Flexibility of Shariah"? Does that have to do with smaller rocks to use when stoning women to death so it does not hurt the hand of the thrower?

F*** anyone who believes in Shariah laws. Too many Iranians lost their lives, got tortured, limps cut, stoned, and executed. And F*** the regime supporters for supporting the Shariah loving regime.
The more interesting fact is that he has gone all the way to England to get it done. Usually one should think Iranian professors are more competent to guide a student to a Phd degree in this subject. This guy thinks Brtitish universities know shara low much much better!

Feb 22, 2005
Dont you guys think it is ridiculous that these barbaric laws were made over 1300 years ago and we have these guys spending their life time trying to figure out what they meant by those laws? Or how to make it more flexible, etc? After all, can the words of their gods be changed by them, just because they think it should.

When a toilet paper is a done deal, you flush it down the toilet.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Under no circumstances I will put any weight or give a rats rump about who an akhound is or what he says or does, but never deviate from truth or become a victim of propaganda. Truth needs to be told.

Glasgow Caledonian University has welcomed the election of one of its alumni, Dr Hassan Rouhani, as the next President of Iran.

The Principal and Vice-Chancellor of GCU, Professor Pamela Gillies, CBE, said: “I would like to congratulate our alumnus, Hassan Rouhani, on being elected President of Iran, a truly significant achievement.
“I hope his period as a scholar at Glasgow Caledonian University will prove beneficial as he assumes office, and I wish him every success as he works towards a positive future for Iran and its people.”

Dr Rouhani, who was a clear winner of the Iranian Presidential election capturing more than 50% of the vote, studied at GCU in the 1990s under his family name of Hassan Feridon. He was awarded an MPhil in 1995. His thesis was entitled The Islamic Legislative Power with reference to the Iranian experience. In 1999, Dr Rouhani gained a PhD with his thesis, The Flexibility of Shariah (Islamic Law), with reference to the Iranian experience.

Dr Rouhani’s election campaign videos featured pictures of Glasgow Caledonian University and the former GCU student spoke warmly of his time in the city. On Tuesday, June 18, the Glasgow-based Herald newspaper reported on Dr Rouhani’s first news conference in Tehran, quoting him as saying he would “follow the path of moderation and justice, not extremism”.

“We have to enhance mutual trust between Iran and other countries,” said Dr Rouhani. “We have to build trust.”
Dr Rouhani will succeed Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as President of Iran when he demits office in August.

http://www.gcu.ac.uk/newsevents/news/article.php?id=59642

Oh really? Only in this case or is truth to be told without excepction? Interssting...
Che hame ye dafe baa sedaaghat shodan :)

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
Dear Rasul you saved Hassans life.
What do you think he should have written in that thesis to get a good mark?
Probably a few papers he wrote as Talabeh when he 20-21 in Hozeh, got them translated and send to this University to give him his PHD :)
I wonder why not more Hozeh Talabeh are not getting their PHD from these universities with PHD topics like this !!!

Who knows maybe in 10 years we can call all the Talabeh and Akhoond and Hojitoleslams, ... Doctors instead ... Got to Love what is happening here :)

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Probably a few papers he wrote as Talabeh when he 20-21 in Hozeh, got them translated and send to this University to give him his PHD :)
I wonder why not more Hozeh Talabeh are not getting their PHD from these universities with PHD topics like this !!!

Who knows maybe in 10 years we can call all the Talabeh and Akhoond and Hojitoleslams, ... Doctors instead ... Got to Love what is happening here :)

Now that's what you call flexibility!!!

May 12, 2007
Actually there are.
En ye kadoeist ke Jack Straw be Rohani dade zamane mozakerat ba Iran.
Search in internet for further details.

feyenoord

Bench Warmer
Aug 23, 2005
Very Good article about the set of mind of Iranian youth. What Sad is that these youth do not have a alternative opposition to the regime. The opposition that call them sheeps for going to the polls, not understanding that the youth is educated enough and can think critically about discourse of democracy and their conduct (nothing short of IR).

Sadly, it seems that the Iranian opposition are getting worse. They are stuck in 30/40 years ago and their leaders are almost the same people. Resorting to propaganda, lies, false accusations, and trying to screw up anyone disagreeing with you is quite normal for them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/persian/blogs/2013/06/130620_blog_nazeran_democracy_election.shtml

منتشر کردیم و در آن نظر این جوانان را در خصوص مذهب، جنسیت و سیاست پرسیدیم.

بیش از دو هزار ایرانی که در ایران به***دنیا آمده***اند و در حال حاضر نیز ساکن ایران هستند، دست کم به بخش***هایی از این پرسشنامه، پاسخ دادند؛ پرسشنامه***ای که ما زیر نظر مرکز تحقیقات علوم اجتماعی دانشگاه کالیفرنیا در سانتاباربارا آماده کرده***بودیم. اغلب پاسخ***دهندگان جوانانی با تحصیلات عالی بودند. هشتاد درصد آنها زیر سی***سال یودند و نود درصد***شان تحصیلات دانشگاهی داشتند و به وضوح به***وسیله اینترنت با جهان پیرامون خود در ارتباط بودند.
"از زمان سرنگونی شاه پس از انقلاب ۵۷، بیش از سی سال گذشته و ایرانی***ها از آن زمان زیر نظر یک حکومت دینی زندگی می***کنند. پاسخ ایرانیان به پرسش***نامه ما با پاسخ***های ساکنان ترکیه، تونس و مصر- به همان سوالات- بسیار متفاوت بود؛ کشورهایی که احزاب*** اسلام***گرا تازه در آنها به قدرت رسیده***اند."

آنها شدیدا معتقد به جدایی دین از سیاست بودند. درست است که دو سوم آنان عقیده داشتند «قرآن کلام الهی است» اما وقتی از آنان پرسیدیم اگر بین قانون شریعت و قوانین مصوبه توسط قانون******گذارانی که به شیوه دمکراتیک انتخاب شده***اند، تضادی وجود داشته باشند چه می***کنند؟ سه چهارم آنها از قانون دمکرات جانب***داری کردند. تنها کمتر از چهاردرصد پاسخ دهندگان عقیده داشتند که این تضاد باید توسط کمیته***ای متشکل از روحانیون حل شود؛ وضعیتی که در حال حاضر در ایران حاکم است.

This M... F.... ta dirooz mardom mardoom mikard, hala ke kharesh as pool gozashteh madar ghahbe in ro migeh,

روحانی در جمع اعضای ستاد انتخاباتی خود:
خلق حماسه را مدیون امام زمان(عج) و تدبیر رهبر معظم انقلاب هستیم
رئیس***جمهور برگزیده ملت ایران تأکید کرد: حماسه ۲۴ خرداد با لطف و عنایات خاصه امام زمان(عج) و تدابیر رهبر معظم انقلاب اسلامی خلق شد.

FUCK akhoond !

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
This M... F.... ta dirooz mardom mardoom mikard, hala ke kharesh as pool gozashteh madar ghahbe in ro migeh,

رئیس***جمهور برگزیده ملت ایران تأکید کرد: حماسه ۲۴ خرداد با لطف و عنایات خاصه امام زمان(عج) و تدابیر رهبر معظم انقلاب اسلامی خلق شد.

FUCK akhoond !
I am absolutely shocked and disturbed. Did not see that coming. ;)

Last edited:

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
Proud of you guys in Canada! A total 180 from John Baird:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...sults-offers-congratulations/article12744710/

“Only the people of Iran can determine the meaning of the elections, and an overwhelming number of Iranians used their vote to reject extremism, protest Khamenei’s regressive clerical military dictatorship, and express a deep desire for change,” Mr. Baird wrote.

Take that Nazanin khanoom :)

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005

FUCK akhoond !
What is the source? I kind of doubt he would say something like that at this time.