Iran's Economic Crisis: good article from WSJ

Jun 7, 2004
Iran's Economic Crisis

[FONT=times new roman,times,serif][FONT=times new roman,times,serif]By AMIR TAHERI
May 9, 2007; Page A17
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
For the past five weeks, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's Islamic Moral Brigades have been clashing with groups of young Iranians on the streets of Tehran and other major cities over the government's crackdown on "immodest dress." The crackdown is seen by many Iranians as another step toward an even more suffocating social atmosphere in the crisis-stricken country. Both Mr. Ahmadinejad and his mentor, the "Supreme Leader" Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, claim that the way young Iranians dress is the most immediate threat to their Islamist dystopia.
Iranians demonstrating against poor working conditions clash with a security official, May 1, 2007. Television footage of young men and women engaged in scuffles with Moral Brigades may lead some in the West to assume that the opposition to the Khomeinist regime is mostly urban and middle class, and solely concerned with greater social freedoms. That, however, is only part of the story. While social issues continue to poison life in the Islamic Republic, it is economic issues that spell the most trouble for Mr. Ahmadinejad's struggling presidency.
Last week tens of thousands of angry workers, forming an illegal umbrella organization, flexed their muscles against President Ahmadinejad on International Labor Day in Tehran and a dozen provincial capitals. Marching through the capital's streets, the workers carried a coffin draped in black with the legend "Workers' Rights" inscribed on it. They shouted "No to slave labor! Yes, to freedom and dignity!"
Mr. Ahmadinejad centered his 2005 presidential campaign on a promise to "bring the country's oil money to every family's dinner table." After the election his position was boosted by a dramatic rise in oil prices, providing him with more than $100 million a day in state revenues. And, yet, all official statistics show that, with inflation running around 18% and unemployment jumping to more than 30%, the average Iranian is worse off than three years ago. Under the previous administration of President Mohammad Khatami, the Islamic Republic scored average annual economic growth rates of around 4%. In a nation that needs to create a million new jobs to cope with its exploding demography, that kind of growth was certainly not enough to point to any Eldorado anytime soon. But it was enough to prevent the economy from sinking. Under President Ahmadinejad, however, the growth rate has dropped to around 3% -- and that despite rising oil revenues.
Because it controls the oil revenue, which comes in U.S. dollars, the Islamic state has a vested interest in a weak national currency. (It could get more rials for the same amount of dollars in the domestic market.) Mr. Ahmadinejad has tried to exploit that opportunity by printing an unprecedented quantity of rials. Economists in Tehran speak of "the torrent of worthless rials" that Mr. Ahmadinejad has used to finance his extravagant promises of poverty eradication. The result has been massive flights of capital, mostly into banks in Dubai, Malaysia and Austria. Ayatollah Mahmoud Shahroudi, the Islamic Chief Justice, claims that as much as $300 billion may have left the country since President Ahmadinejad was sworn in.
According to Abbas Abdi, a Tehran researcher and loyal critic of the regime, Iran is experiencing its worst economic crisis since the late 1970s. The effects of this are seen in the slowdown in real-estate prices -- the first since 1997, even in Tehran's prime districts. Printing money and spending on a no-tomorrow basis are not the only reasons for the crisis. President Ahmadinejad's entire economic philosophy seems to be designed to do more harm than good.
The president's favorite catchword is "khodkafa'i" or "self sufficiency." To the horror of most Iranians, especially the millions connected with the bazaars, who regard trade as the noblest of pursuits, Mr. Ahmadinejad insists that the only way Iran can preserve its "Islamic purity" is to reduce dependence on foreign commerce.
"Whatever we can produce we should do ourselves," the president likes to say. "Even if what we produce is not as good, and more costly." His rationale goes something like this: The global economic system is a Jewish-Crusader conspiracy to keep Muslim nations in a position of weakness and dependency. Thus, Muslims would do better by relying on their own resources even if that means lower living standards.
One of President Ahmadinejad's first moves was to freeze a six-year-old policy designed to help the Islamic Republic become a member of the World Trade Organization; in his book the WTO is just another "Jewish-Crusader" invention to cement the inferior position of Muslim economies. It was with reference to "khodkafa'i" that Mr. Ahmadinejad decided to harden the regime's position on the nuclear issue, even if that meant United Nations sanctions and war with the U.S. The Iranian president claims that the seven countries currently capable of producing nuclear fuel plan to set up a global cartel and control the world market for enriched uranium, once mankind, having exhausted fossil fuels, is forced to depend on nuclear energy.
Convinced that Islam is destined for a "clash of civilizations" against the "Infidel" -- led by the U.S., of course -- President Ahmadinejad is determined to preserve what he regards as the Islamic Republic's "independence." One of his favorite themes is the claim that, forced to choose between freedom and independence, good Muslims would prefer the latter.
Khodkafa'i has had catastrophic results on many sectors of the Iranian industry. Unable to reduce, let alone stop, imports of mass consumer goods (including almost half of the nation's food) controlled by powerful mullahs and Revolutionary Guard commanders, President Ahmadinejad has tightened import rules for a range of raw materials and spare parts needed by factories across the nation. The policy has already all but killed the once-buoyant textile industry, destroying tens of thousands of jobs. It has also affected hundreds of small and medium-size businesses that, in some cases, have been unable to pay their employees for months.
Mr. Ahmadinejad has also used khodkafa'i as an excuse to freeze a number of business deals aimed at preventing the collapse of Iran's aging and semi-derelict oil and gas fields. He has also vetoed foreign participation in building oil refineries, forcing the Islamic Republic to import more than 40% of the refined petroleum products consumed in Iran. The prospect of a prolonged duel with the U.N., and possible military clash with the U.S., has also hurt the Iranian economy in the past six months.
One result of the president's weird policy is the series of strikes that have continued in Tehran and at least 20 other major cities since last autumn. Last year, one major strike by transport workers in Tehran brought the city of 15 million to a standstill for several days. Right now tens of thousands of workers in industries as diverse as gas refining, paper and newsprint, automobile, and copper mining are on strike.
President Ahmadinejad, however, is determined to impose what looks like a North Korean model on the Iranian economy. He has already dissolved the Syndicate of Iranian Employers (SKI) as a capitalist cabal, and plans to replace it with a government-appointed body. He is also pushing a new Labor Code through the Islamic Majlis (parliament) to replace the existing one written with the help of the International Labor Organization in the 1960s and amended in 1991.
The proposed text abolishes most of the rights won by workers throughout the world as a result of decades of social struggle and political reform. President Ahmadinejad believes that Western-style trade unions and employers' associations have no place in a proper Islamic society where the state, representing the will of Allah, can keep the "community of the faithful" free of class struggle, a typical affliction of "Infidel" societies.
Mr. Ahmadinejad's next coup will likely be a major privatization scheme affecting more than 40 public corporations across the country. He has promised to help the employees buy up to 10% of the shares. The rest will go to rich mullahs and Revolutionary Guard officers and their business associates, using low interest loans from state-owned banks. By the time the scheme is ready, however, the Islamic Republic may be facing too deep an economic crisis for anyone -- even greedy mullahs and corrupt Revolutionary Guardsmen -- to want to invest even a borrowed rial there.
Mr. Taheri is author of "L'Irak: Le Dessous Des Cartes" (Editions Complexe, 2002).

Jun 7, 2004
Where is Simply Ken? ... He was a die hard fan of ahmadi-nejad...
Yes really!

And the shit has not hit the fan yet; just the smell is starting to hit the people . Just wait. The increase in corruption, mainly in the form of enormous theft by Sepahis beyond anything Rafsanjani and gang ever dreamt of, the utter incompetence of AN and Sepah to do anything constructive, and the idiotic childish policies they have implemented will in time result in enormous set back for Iran and Iranians. The only reason the economy has floated thus far is oil prices being higher than anytime in peace-time Iran's history. But it will sink. That is a certainty.

What seems to be the kicker is that AN-Sepah have stunk up the place so bad that it appears that even they themselves know it too. They know they are taking up a suicidal path. This is why they are so anxious for either Imam Zaman to show up, a confrontation crisis with the US, or even it seems establish relations with the US. These are their only outs in the long-run.

What people do not know about the economy is that there is one and only one reason for inflation. And that is government. Under AN inflation has sky-rocketed. The prime motive has been to print money in billions upon billions of dollars range and give it to Sepahis. Whenever there is an accelaration in inflation, initially there is an acceleration in the economy, a populist acceleratoin. But eventually there will come a day of reckoning. And that will be terribly painful for most Iranians. We have not hit that yet. It will happen. It is a certainty.

Finally as for "intellectuals" and common people falling for AN, it is the usual story all over again. No one takes the time to do the painful work of actually patiently evaluating one's record or facts, rather Iranians more than others love words, presentation, charisma, and theories that they happen to like the story of.

AN did the same exact thing as the mayor of Tehran. Once he became mayor he quickly moved to replace all but one regional mayors by his Sepahi friends. They proceeded to steal money at a scale never even thought of before in quadrupling the going bribe rates by officials. Corruption absolutely sky-rocketted under AN. This is exactly the opposite of the slogans by AN. In fact if you listened carefully, he did reveal that what he really meant is that it is Sepah that should be getting all the money.

From day 1, before his elections I pointed this out because I happen to have known AN's record as a mayor.

Mar 2, 2003
Where is Simply Ken? ... He was a die hard fan of ahmadi-nejad...
No, actually, I am a fan of the truth.

Last year, when most foks here were pretending that the majority of Iranians don't like Ahmadinejad, I offered the evidence that indicated the reverse: That he was quite popular with a majority of Iranians. (Parenthetically, Ahamdinejad is still popular enough personally, although the political groups he is aligned with are not as popular).

If you are interested in my own views, and on Ahmadinejad: On some specific issues, I support Ahmadinejad, while on others I don't. Give me the issue you want to discuss, and I will offer my own views on it.

Anyway, I opened the thread to see what the WSJ is feeding its readers these days, but when I noticed that the article was by Amir Taheri, I didn't bother to read it. Put simply, I don't consider Amir Taheri a reliable source for any factual information, nor do I find his opinions worthy. (If this article says something worthy, it would be an exception given Taheri's recent track record).

With regard to Iran's economic situation, my position remains the same as what I have actually said in the past. Iran's economy suffers from major structural issues, requires legal reforms, and many of its problems (especially as it relates to some particular sectors) have been exacerbated by US efforts to isoalte the country and sanction/discourage international financial and trade relations with Iran. Additionally, Income disparities are often gross and need to be addressed wisely, replacing the current system of wasteful and ineffective subsidies which cost the Iranian economy tens of billions of dollars without being truly effective.

All that said, Iran's economy is growing at a healthy rate of approximately 5%, and has been growing at that rate the past decade. The effect of that growth -- while noticeable to any observer who looks at the real standard of living of Iranians relative to what it was only in the past -- is missed nonetheless by many who have to struggle to make ends meet. (Partly, because the 'ends' that they are trying to meet requires that they indirectly compete with the standards of living in developed countries). Ironically, even those Iranians who enjoy more than they would be entitled to otherwise, are not always appreciative either: they might feel constrained by the limitations that exist here on how much of your wealth you can publicly flaunt, and how much of it useful within Iran for partaking in the kind of 'liberties' that are culturally acceptable in the west. (On the latter score, for better or worse, the situation has been relaxed substantially in recent years).

In the meantime, real estate prices in Tehran and some other places has been soaring. The price of buying or even renting an apartment has become comparable to some major cities in the US. Giving the prevailing price of real estate (both rental and for sale) even in south Tehran, and the fact that such prices require a corresponding level of money to sustain themselves, you can safely conclude that Iranians here are not as poor as you might imagine! Indeed, the average Iranian might struggle mightily to have and keep the basics, but the basics he actually has include varying levels of health coverage, a house furnished with basic modern amenities and appliances, (increasingly for millions) an automobile, a cell phone, and access to higher education. In the process, many Iranians today have the same things that only a very small fraction of the population used to have.

Incidentally, instead of writing long essays to rebut politicized arguments and viewpoints, you can measure a country's standard of living by looking at its per capita income using "real" (not nominal) dollars, i.e. using the purchasing power parity index. While statistics on Iranian incomes underestimate the economy given the very high incidence of undeclared and unreported incomes and earnings here, at the end of the day, the overall picture would show Iran a country with a standard of living similar to some eastern European countries or Turkey. Or, looked at differently, Iran has the largest economy in the Middle East and the 21st largest economy in the world.

Once the issues with the US are resolved on fair terms, and once Iran nuclear rights are solidified, with very few (but fundamentally important) legal reforms, Iran will be in position to be a major economic power. At least, that is my view.

Silverton

National Team Player
Nov 6, 2004
No, actually, I am a fan of the truth.
LOOOOOL that made me really laugh. Higher rent/ real estate? Iranian's arent' appreciative, now? LOOOL baba, your rationalizing points are getting sadder and sadder everytimg you write. You try to write long posts to offset the bullshit fluff that accumulate like the wastelands that are getting ready for their daily diet of garbage, filth and trash. Your long posts say NOTHING.

iranegade

Football Fan
Oct 18, 2002
Simply Ken's posts are hilarious!!!! mental masturbation at its finest... LOL dude, ya khodet khari, ya fekr mikoni ma kharim.

Oct 20, 2003
Not that I agree with Simply Ken or Fole Penalt posts completely and all the time (while I have great respect for both) but they use logic, facts and rationality to get their messages acorss in a polite way. It would be nice for Silverton and Iranegade to follow suit, and rather then engaging in one liners, insult and foul language, tell us their points of views, and why they have disagreement(s) with Simply Ken's post with facts and logic.

Behrang(ISP)

King of Posts
Oct 16, 2002
www.iransportspress.com
I don't understand why Iranian's always like to jump at others... If you want to critique someones writing or criticise it then come back with some more facts of your own and debate the subject. Have respect for those with opposing opinions etc. etc. etc. Until we are able to get into discussions w/o attacking each other we can't expect anything to change in Iran.

iranegade

Football Fan
Oct 18, 2002
Gentlemen,

You are both right and I apologize to Simply Ken for my immature and rude comments. I disagree with Ken on several points but don't have time to go into deep discussion right now... will try to provie a substantial argument later. Once again, you guys are right. sorry Ken...

iranegade

Football Fan
Oct 18, 2002
Iran pulled in $58 billion in oil exports last year... that's $21 billion more than Iran made three years ago. With this tremendous influx of oil revenue, Iran should be enjoying an economic boom. Instead, Iran is the only major OPEC country in the Middle East running a budget deficit. Hmmm, shocking.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
With regard to Iran's economic situation, my position remains the same as what I have actually said in the past.
Simply Ken Sir,
Reading your above statement actually indicates a drastic change on your own stance toward IRI inflicted economy (if we agree upon that the word economy actually applies to disastrous situation hovering over Iran).

Iran's economy suffers from major structural issues, requires legal reforms, and many of its problems (especially as it relates to some particular sectors) have been exacerbated by US efforts to isoalte the country and sanction/discourage international financial and trade relations with Iran.
LOL what a tactic? It is US/Zionist plot again... You see!! Mullahs used to sit up on that multi step wooden Throne and start harsh criticizing, finger pointing to ruling government all the time but themselves never had to answer any question or respond to critiques because they never had any responsibility. Now that is changed they are responsible and they have to answer to Iranians but Akhoonds have ran out domestic rivals, NO one is in charge of any dept. except themselves and their home boys so a foreign source had to be manufactured so they could blame their own incompetency, dim wit, mismanagement and Mafia Like economy on that, there it comes US-Zionists.
No sir, Iran's economic failure is direct result of Mullah's belligerent foreign policy, total lack of management, their love affair with half of the world's terrorists and keeping incompetent ppl like A-jad as heads of the State without installing a FILTER between his small brain and big mouth.

Additionally, Income disparities are often gross and need to be addressed wisely, replacing the current system of wasteful and ineffective subsidies which cost the Iranian economy tens of billions of dollars without being effective.
Who's WISDOM are we talking about? A-Jad's or Khamenei's?
They already had the opportunity to listen to WISE advise and think about it. Problem is they wouldn't understand even if they wanted to. They are Mullas not State men.
Do you remember the Letter which was endorsed by Iran's top notch Economists (FYI 50 of them) and sent to A-jad in which they all warned the Prez that economic plans you are trying to implement will have a disastrous result, well it did not take that long, we are already there my friend and it will only get worse.

BTW: Where is your source for 5% economic growth? It is 3% more likely. Even if we accept 5% is the actual number you fail to mention or intentionally ignore that this # will not support Iran's population growth and that is why we have close to 30% unemployment. I even considered Mosaafer Keshi as a productive job.

Mar 7, 2007
It's just mind blowing how someone could support this apartheid regime especially some one that is obviously educated and lived in democratic countries. if you guys know why someone in his right mind support this regime in any forms that has for the past 28 years has brought only misery to its people let me know.

Either we are stupid and delusional and not seeing the great good this regime has brought us or people like Simply Kens are. It's sad.

iranegade

Football Fan
Oct 18, 2002
A couple more notes:

Ken talks about real estate prices, quality of life, legal reforms, etc... Come on man, stop beating around the bush. Iran's economy is in a very dire state, and Dr. Ahmadinejad's economic policies have been disastrous to say the least. Again, let's remember that we're talking about Iran (let's not ignore the massive role oil/gas play in Iran's economy).

Let's talk numbers: I won't use the CIA factbook or anything (the CIA lies, right?), so let's just refer to the I.R. Majles, which conducted a study last year to report the following miserbale figure for the Iranian year 1385:
-Inflation at 22.4% (and climbing as we speak)

This is even after the fact that the I.R. tries its best to artificially keep down prices of many goods by subsidizing them (ask me if you want a list of these items)... Iran is actually the only country in the world that provides government subsidies for imports!

Ken talks about purchasing power... are you kidding me man? With inflation this high, what kind of purchasing power should we be admiring? Even if you get a 10% pay raise, you still lose 10% of your purchasing power because of this ridiculous inflation.

That's why real estate prices are so high!!! As are the prices of everything else in Iranian. That's a terrible thing - a call for alarm, not for optimism. As the prices of Iranian goods increase, these domestic products lose out to cheaper (let's not even talk about quality) goods that are being imported from the outside world. That's why workers aren't getting paid, factories are closing down, and people are protesting. Have you kept with the news buddy?

Now let's talk about how much money they've printed - there was a 37% increase in monetary mass last year - and note that the unchanging exchange rates should not be an indication of stability. In fact, the Central Bank (thanks to the oil money) has kept the rate of Iranian currency artificially at fix parity with major world currencies... The exchange rate for changing Iranian money with US dollars or the EURO has not changed in the past several years... but Iran's inflation is at 24% while Europe's is at 2% and America's is at 1.5%!!!! This is the making of boiling cauldron of economic disaster waiting to explode! So why do these guys in I.R. do this? If they didn't, the exchange rate would shoot up, the prices of foreign goods would become astronimically high, and inflation would rise to over 40%... So unlike many other countries that desperately try to keep there currency under value, Iran does the opposite, encouraging imports and discouraging exports. They can afford to do this to avoid an economic crisis temporarily because of high oil revenues... but what happens when the oil money stops pouring in at record levels? Now, you see we come full circle...

The Oil problem: Oil production is now around 3.7 million barrels per day, down from 4 million barrels per day two years ago. Machinery is aging and refining capacity is dwindling, making it even hard to keep up with the Iran quota fixed by OPEC. Last year, I.R. imported refined oil in the amount of 7 billion dollars. This year, it will cost I.R. more than 10 billion to do the same.

"With some reform, Iran can become a major economic power." No shit Einstein. Everybody knows that. So could any country that brings in close to 60 billion dollars of oil every year. Unbelievable the stuff some people say..

And about the 5% growth rate... it's more realistically dropping from 4% to 3% as we speak. But ok, let's take 5%. Do you know how miserable that is compared to other developing economies, and do you realize how artificial that number is because of the oil money that's been pumped into it to keep it there?

Great. And oh yeah, I just remembered that unemployment is at around 30%. Right. Watch out for the mosquitos.

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
This is great thread. I just have one request from everyone who is providing numbers and stats to prove their points. Please mention the refernce for those numbers .

Than you

Silverton

National Team Player
Nov 6, 2004
I don't understand why Iranian's always like to jump at others... If you want to critique someones writing or criticise it then come back with some more facts of your own and debate the subject. Have respect for those with opposing opinions etc. etc. etc. Until we are able to get into discussions w/o attacking each other we can't expect anything to change in Iran.
Where exactly did he use facts? If he used them, I would respond in a similar manner, he's telling us, those who have visited Iran and continue to visit it that most people are not struggling? Are you kidding me??

Why should I be civil with a person who lies, cheats and tries to manipulate people here and try to scare them with the length of his posts rather than the rational content of it. Again, his rationalizing points are always "Zionist plots" ... he's a tool, and his rhetoric matches the Mullahs, who are allergic to facts, rationality and enlightenment.

No thank you sir, so responding in the way I did is proper.

Oct 18, 2002
Where exactly did he use facts? If he used them, I would respond in a similar manner, he's telling us, those who have visited Iran and continue to visit it that most people are not struggling? Are you kidding me??

Why should I be civil with a person who lies, cheats and tries to manipulate people here and try to scare them with the length of his posts rather than the rational content of it. Again, his rationalizing points are always "Zionist plots" ... he's a tool, and his rhetoric matches the Mullahs, who are allergic to facts, rationality and enlightenment.

No thank you sir, so responding in the way I did is proper.

Well, it is difficult for a person like you to teach manners because he even do not know what so called proper manners is.
I assume you live somewhere in the west in a so called democratic state where you do not even know what an opposition stands for. You talk about facts and so... since when you state your arguments with facts.

Oct 20, 2003
Why should I be civil with a person who lies, cheats and tries to manipulate people here
Rather than using labels and insults, why don't you prove your points with facts and rational arguments? It has been my experience that people who lack logic, reason,facts and good argument resort to foul language, insults and هوچی گری .

and try to scare them with the length of his posts rather than the rational content of it.
LOL, never heard this before, so, Simply Ken's length of post is an attempt by him to scare readers! Could you tell me how?

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
Sliver Jan

I understand your frustarion. It seems like many of the members on this board are well satisfied with fluffy posts which used fake numbers and stats as long as it supports their way of thinking.

Mar 13, 2007
2 questions

1-is Simply ken Ahmadi nejad himself ? 2- with these oil prices, does Iran still rank below the top 100 ranked countries in terms of GDP per capita ?

Silverton

National Team Player
Nov 6, 2004
Rather than using labels and insults, why don't you prove your points with facts and rational arguments? It has been my experience that people who lack logic, reason,facts and good argument resort to foul language, insults and هوچی گری .

LOL, never heard this before, so, Simply Ken's length of post is an attempt by him to scare readers! Could you tell me how?
I don't care if you've never heard of this before, when was the last time that Ken's post had less than 5-6 paragraphs, he tries to gain legitimacy by using lengthy posts to somehow gain the status as a trustable authority. His posts are always the longest, and he's virtually saying NOTHING. Want me to prove it to you? I'll deconstruct Ken's post and give you a recap without going over a few sentences.

Ken Says:
AN is still vastly popular among Iranians, but SEPAH are not (does this even make sense?). Amir Taheri is not worth reading, so I stopped at the first sentence. Iran's suffers from structural problems which cannot be helped by any one person or policy, i.e. meaning there can not be such unaccountability in Iran's masterly-formulated system. Iran's most pressing economic problem suffers from Zionist/ American plots (again, no accountability for Iran's mullahs). Iran's economy is growing at healthy rate of 5% annually - Geez, why can't Iranians appreciate anything? Look, real estate prices are skyrocketing, that's a foremost barometer of a good economy! Iranians aren't struggling, it's just they all have access to computers, interent, health care, a modern furnished house which means with latest LG appliances, some have access to the latest Blackberry phones, while others are struggling with Motorola Razor phones..

Again, I just reiteretated the thesis of ALL of KEN'S post - which essentially is - Iran's Mullahs cannot be held accountable (and therefore cannot be blamed) because of super-structural pressures that are at odds and working hard to crush Iran's economic growth i.e. Zionism, Super-structuralism of IR's own system is at work (which means they've created a monster they cannot control). Ken is DELIBERATELY trying to take blame off of the Mullah's corruption, inefficiency, mismanagement and anything that is wrong in the current system.