Is Greece Lucky or.....?

Bijans

Legionnaire
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, CA
Lucky or not.. I don't know.. I absolutely hate watching them.. I am so pissed the went through...:(

Sorry for posting this I had to put my frustration out here...

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
The style they play means they need to be lucky for it to be successful. Russia was the best team in this group and it;s bad for the competition that they are out.

But you know, football is a whole package. Russia played free flowing football till today, when they clearly got more and more nervous and impatient as the match went on. This worked against them. It's times like this that you have to keep it together and they didn't.

Nov 24, 2002
yes i am not the fan of greece either BUT this was the easiest group , if you cant make it out of this group then simply you dont deserve to qualify . russian cant blame anyone except themself .

Bijans

Legionnaire
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, CA
They will be outclassed by Germans :).. I am not a fan of Russia either but I feel like at least they played classic open football. Greece plays anti-football and gets one chance and score. They play like the Arab teams (Qatar/Bahrain)... just not what football should be if you ask me...

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
The Greeks got outclassed by every team they played. Even Poland dominated them for parts of their game. What a shame it is that the Russian team is eliminated while the Greeks manage to get out of the group. A sad day for football indeed.

Dec 12, 2002
usa
i think russia was one of the better team of tournament but they played a motivated team who wanted to lift uptheir nation's spirit.here russians relatively are happier nation in in last ten years .so i think it was good for world economy .sometimes football can do magic .

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
They will be outclassed by Germans :).. I am not a fan of Russia either but I feel like at least they played classic open football. Greece plays anti-football and gets one chance and score. They play like the Arab teams (Qatar/Bahrain)... just not what football should be if you ask me...
Yes of course they will be outclassed by Germans. But they will play exactly the same way as they have done so far. There has been a huge anti-Merkel feeling in Greece and the Greeks are angry. So they will have an extra motive on Friday.

Poor Greeks ... they don't have a pot to piss on .! they need something to cheer them up ,maybe they can pay back some of their debts with ... well never mind !:8:
Of course they have a pot to piss in, the one that the Germans paid for :p

Funny think here is, that the German bail out reaches far, even to the Greek football federation's budget. So the Greeks are there thanks to the Germans. I am sure there is a conflict of interest there somewhere :)
You could say this is Germany's own team because they practically own Greece now :)

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Yes of course they will be outclassed by Germans. But they will play exactly the same way as they have done so far. There has been a huge anti-Merkel feeling in Greece and the Greeks are angry. So they will have an extra motive on Friday.

Funny think here is, that the German bail out reaches far, even to the Greek football federation's budget. So the Greeks are there thanks to the Germans. I am sure there is a conflict of interest there somewhere :)
You could say this is Germany's own team because they practically own Greece now :)

Well it is good for Germans who are dry , they could do with some Greece !

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field

Well it is good for Germans who are dry , they could do with some Greece !

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
The reprocussions of the Greek win yesterday can go far beyond football and Euro 2012. They may very well shape the future of Euro (the currency), and possibly our world as we know it.

As you may know, Syrizia & New Democracy were running neck to neck in the polls for today's parliamantary election in Greece, with around 7% of the voters undecided as of the latest published polls a week and a half ago (Greek law bans publication of new polls in the last week and half before an election). Even the slimest of victories (0.1%) for either of these two parties over the other one, means an extra 50 seats in parliament - this particular law was passed many years ago to make it easier for a winning party to form a coallition government.

Syrizia has said that they will "tear up" the bailout agreements that the previous government signed with their European partners and has been running on a platform of nationalism, pride, and a future of hope for Greece, while New Democracy is expected to maintain the status quo. No one was able to form a coallition government after the last failed election 2 months ago, but the mere fact that a far left coallition (openly rejecting the bailout agreements) was propelled to the front line of Greek politics, shaved trillions of dollars from the world stock markets and put financial markets on edge.

That was with New Democracy having a comfortable margin of victory over Syrizia, but a victory for the latter, has generally been viewed as leading to an eventual default by Greece and the break-up of Euro - the reprocussions of which would not only affect those living in Europe, but every single one of us in every continent. Syrizia was already advancing in the polls after the last election, to reduce New Democracy's lead and even surpass them according to some polls. But the overall perception was that the two parties were tied going into today's election, with 7% of the voters still undecided as I mentioned earlier.

So, yesterday's win has undoubtedly revived nationalistic sentiments at a time when the Greeks were down, but not out. This will most likely, if not certainly, play into Syrizia's hand because it was already tapping into these sentiments in its campaign and if it manages to swing a portion of those undecided voters, even if it doesn't change the breakdown of decided voters, it will most certainly lead to Syrizia triumphing over New Democracy. Contingency planning has been ripe in European capitals for a "Grexit" (the term used to refer to a Greek exit from the monetary union), but since there's no precedence for this, no one really knows the potential extent of the damage or has any guaranteed tools to stop contagion to other Euro countries - namely Spain, Italy, Portugal and Ireland.

So, the world financial markets, and possibly capitalism as a whole, are hanging by a thread at the moment and with Spain - Euro's 4th largest economy - having accepted a 100 billion Euro bailout a week ago (even though they insisted no one should call it that!), almost everyone agrees that Italy - Euro's 3rd largest economy - is next and too big of an economy to be bailed out. Spanish bond yields had already hit all time highs prior to today's election and Italy's have been moving up in unisence to levels that were beginning to be unsustainable for both countries in borrowing money to service their debts. A Syrizia win will throw the entire system into chaos and the game yesterday may have just sealed the fate of these countries, Euro as a currency and our entire financial system.

:looti: