Is Heydari the best we got at the right flank in Iran? Seriously?

Mar 12, 2005
This kid is short, physically weak and tiny, no decent speed, poor field vision, and has horrible crossing ability.
Is he connected to regime or IFF somehow? Is he CQ's malijak? What is the idea of starting him in every game?

Historically, our right fullbacks and wingers have been our strong point. Now it has become a liability.
We were fielding likes of Mahdavi-Kia and Kaabi who had great speed and although short in height, they
had hearts of lion and made penetrating runs from the right flank and were a constant pain in the opponent's ass.
Now we got Heydari who after Jabbari is physically the weakest TM player I've ever seen who can't make any
runs at all and who falls down when other players pass by him and he can't cross the ball properly if his life
depended on it.

Forget the crappy club play where he shined in a few matches against the likes of Mes Kerman and Aftabehsazi ghazvin.
This guy would never be the international caliber and has no potential. He is as good as he gets and frankly he sucks.

Now, because he plays in Esteghlal, he gets invited. I also blame CQ for not scouting (doing his job) and replacing
him with more promising youngsters. We have a couple of great under-21 players who would be at perfect age by
WC time so why not get those guys some playing time rather than wasting all that time on this loser?? Couldn't
possibly be any worse than what we have with this Heydari character.

Over and out.

joonevar22

Bench Warmer
Oct 15, 2004
USA
Ya I agree, Bring back Kaabi.I don't understand a guy with so much speed(which Iran doesn't have at all) and heart would not be invited,Its beyond me.I think we need to stop looking at PP and EST for players.The search for talent needs to go beyond Tehran based players obviously those players are not cutting it.I would even call out Mahini I don't think he is TM material.

Silverton

National Team Player
Nov 6, 2004
He should be our RB not a winger... Mahini is OK but doesn't add anything to either.

Heydari when he is on will provide pinpoint crosses and has good pace. He is just out of form now.

Aug 26, 2005
True. He's been injured on and off for a couple years now. But on form he is, next to Karimi, the smartest player we have and one of the few who can create things by himself.

I used to think he was wasted playing at RB as he generally got a lot of assists even that far back, and you'd assume he'd be better further forward. Kinda changed my mind on that, I think he is better when he has more space in front of him. I remember reading an article not so long about how Dani Alves and Roberto Carlos - fullbacks who got forward and got lots of assists - both said they found playing full back easier/more comfortable than playing as a side-midfielder.

Anyway, I just can't believe the OP. The way he is talking he's never seen the guy play. Heydari is no Sattar Zare/Gholamnejad. As an aside, I like Mahini.

Mar 12, 2005
True. He's been injured on and off for a couple years now. But on form he is, next to Karimi, the smartest player we have and one of the few who can create things by himself.

I used to think he was wasted playing at RB as he generally got a lot of assists even that far back, and you'd assume he'd be better further forward. Kinda changed my mind on that, I think he is better when he has more space in front of him. I remember reading an article not so long about how Dani Alves and Roberto Carlos - fullbacks who got forward and got lots of assists - both said they found playing full back easier/more comfortable than playing as a side-midfielder.

Anyway, I just can't believe the OP. The way he is talking he's never seen the guy play. Heydari is no Sattar Zare/Gholamnejad. As an aside, I like Mahini.
Please do NOT mention Roberto Carlos or Dani Alves in the same sentence with Heydari. Ever!
Judging from your avater, you are already biased to esteghlali players so I won't get into a debate
over Heydari with you. And yes, I've seen the guy play both at IPL and TM. He is OK for IPL level and
sub-par opposition he has to play against. He is a complete disaster at International level.

Just ask yourself a simple question: Would you want this guy in TM at WC so we get owned at right flank?

Over and out.

Aug 26, 2005
Heydari has been awesome at IPL and Asian Champions League level and pretty good even in TM on the whole. Unless we have right wingers playing in Spain and England that we don't know about that's the extent to the level our players are at.

I liked him at Paas, got to see him more at Esteghlal obviously, and continued to like him when he was at Sepahan. He's been in the top 2-3 players in the league during the last 4 years. In terms of outfield players I'd say it's between him and Khalatbari. Keep in mind, Heydari is a right back, and has led the league in assists in some years.

When someone says Heydari is slow, can't cross or is bad technically I am not sure what to say other than ask if they've seen him. He doesn't have the blistering pace of a Kaabi but he is fast enough for sure. His crossing, whilst letting him down in the last game, is usually of a pretty high standard - two footed too. Technically, there's maybe 3 players that we have that can lace his boots. It's obvious the blue-red rivalry is a factor for someone else here. At TM, I really don't care about about club affiliations. My favourite TM players are all Perspolisi - Karimi, Bagheri and Kia.

At TM for me there are about 4-5 lock players: Rahmati, Heydari, Khalatbari, Karimi and Nekounam.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2005
I am not sure what metric you are using to give him a passing grade at TM specially with the last 2 games fresh on our minds.
I saw both games with Uzbek and Qatar. Aside from a couple of defensive plays, our right flank was completely dormant during Uzbek game until minute 94 and even then it was Teymourian who initiated the attack from right that led to the goal.

In Qatar game, the same story in 1st half. Nothing from right flank. No penetration. No meaningful and prudent run and cross. It was not until Ashcon Dejagah entered the game when we got some activity on the right flank and created a few runs on that side.

I have nothing against esteghlali players but I simply see Heydari as a club player and not someone who could represent TM at highest level in WC and the more we starve younger players to get a shot at this position the more desperate we will be in 2 years.

A good player is consistent. Yo cannot have a good game with accurate crosses and then be completely off for 3-4 games and then on again for one game. That just won't cut it for us. I would definitely disagree that Heydari is a lock!! In my opinion. Hosseini and Aghili are locked players and neither Mahini nor Heydari are anywhere close to being a lock in TM.

Over and out.

Nov 24, 2002
Heydari is a total joke . seriously from kia to guys like heydari and mahini ..

the only thing he does right is crossing the ball other than that he slow the game , he is lost to find his man and suck in defensive duty ..

alitheking61

Bench Warmer
Dec 11, 2005
poor CQ didn't start him on Uzbek game and we had the most horrible 1st half TM ever had!!! No choice, he is better than Mahini for sure... he can carry the ball but I agree physically very weak and lack speed.

Nov 24, 2002
ostad , i am not coach , i am not travelling in iran to find the talent . dont tell me in whole country of 70 M we cant find a guy with BETTER speed than this guy .. the first thing a winger should have is speed and this guy is worse than turtle. i dont care he is good at crossing , his lack of speed kill the team and his crossing is ON and OFF !
watching iran-qatar game , one of players that frustrated me it was him ! he is so predictable . at least pouladi ( which suck also) can win some battle on left and has some decent speed but ofcourse low football IQ like many iranian players !

Nov 24, 2002
dastane heydari shode mesle zarbol masale :
dar nabood goosht chogondar salar hast , if this guy had some serious compitition he would never ever come close to TM!

Jul 28, 2007
ostad , i am not coach , i am not travelling in iran to find the talent . dont tell me in whole country of 70 M we cant find a guy with BETTER speed than this guy .. ! !
Amoo Mahbod, you answered your own question...sorry dadash, have no doubt that CQ has had a focused look at all the options on the table and KH is his choice and in CQ I trust.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Heydari is one of the few bright sparks in our team , he may not do 100 meters in 10 seconds but he has good football brain and usualy a good touch , in a draught of technical players currently he is a blessing . if Gholamreza Rezayee had his mindset he could have played for top teams in Europe.

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
The actual truth is that besides Heydari we dont have any decent right backs in Iran at the moment.

Hossein Kaebi isnt the Hossein Kaebi we once knew him as, defensively this kid was not much brighter then Heydari anyways, never tracked his man.

Maybe thats why Queiroz has been tracking Steven Beitashour from MLS, this guy has been playing pretty decent in the MLS and has been linked with Team Melli, Omid Namazi has contacted him on several occasions apperantly.
Other then that, in Iran, the only young guns your looking at are probably Fakhredini, Aliasghar (not even a RB) & maybe Jafari from Sepahan (he's nothing special either).

I think the sad truth is indeed, that Mahini and Heydari are the only viable options we have at this current time. Heydari on his day though, is not a liability, i just hope he picks up his form by the time next round of qualifiers come. Him and Dejagah work well together on the right flank from what ive seen in their two games so far.

I just wish for Team Melli's defence in general there was some changes made.

Nov 29, 2002
Heydari is the best of a sorry bunch when it comes to IPL players.

All of these guys lack the commitment and attitude of the likes of Mahdavikia, never mind Hashemian who grafted his way through the Bundesliga, or Nekounam and Daei

I love going on this site and clicking on the "apps" column, for the 2nd most successful club in one of the world's best leagues:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hamburger_SV_players

BehzadB

Bench Warmer
Feb 18, 2006
Shooshtar
best or not, he is too slow in his decision making. but he is not alone. He is average at best. the fact that he is considered best option only shows how bad the other options are..