Is Omidyar a “Frenchman” or Iranian?

Jan 26, 2005
Every time I read something about Omidyar, I notice that he is referred to as a “Frenchman”. It is true that he was born in France, but his parents were born and raised in Iran, and they both migrated to France when they were adults. Had Omidyar been a terrorist, without any doubt he would have been referred to as an Iranian. But, since he is one of the most successful and richest men in the world, his Iranian roots are totally ignored. Besides, in France, they do not consider third or forth generation middle easterns as French. So why is it that when a person like Omidyar who has tremendous Iranian roots and is highly successful is one of them? But if he messes up, he is one of us?

Last edited:

IPride

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I think he is only half Iranian.

What matters most is how the person himself feels.. If Omidyar had felt a little bit Iranian he would have made it known.

shayan

Bench Warmer
Apr 8, 2005
abe hoezi said:
But when he messes up, he is one of us?
I haven't really followed the news about him lately but has he done something bad or messed to be mentioned as an Iranian?

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
He is half iranian half French. He came to the states at age 7 when his father started a pediatrics residency at Johns Hopkins. He grew up in Maryland and went to college at Tufts university and met his American wife there. Then they moved to bay area together.

Jan 26, 2005
shayan said:
I haven't really followed the news about him lately but has he done something bad or messed to be mentioned as an Iranian?
No, not at all. As a matter of fact, he has donated hundreds of millions to charities. That is exactly why I am pointing nobody in the west refers to his Iranian roots (he seems to be a very good man).

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
abe hoezi said:
No, not at all. As a matter of fact, he has donated hundreds of millions to charities. That is exactly why I am pointing nobody in the west refers to his Iranian roots (he seems to be a very good man).
I read that Omidyar and his wife have a plan that will give away 99% of their wealth as charities and grantsin next 20 years . Its well documented.

Zaagros

Bench Warmer
Nov 14, 2002
I think both parents are Iranian, as a matter of fact from Esfaahaan, he was born in France moved to U.S. at age six and the rest you know. He seems to be a good guy so IMHO it doesn't matter where he is from. Regarding if he was a nasty guy the he would be called an Irani, I have this to say in behalf of Iran:
Give me your tired, give me your sick, give me your injured,....
thats how champions act in and off the feild.

biomid

Ball Boy
May 11, 2003
USA
ME said:
I read that Omidyar and his wife have a plan that will give away 99% of their wealth as charities and grantsin next 20 years . Its well documented.
Forbes magazine had an article on the world's richest men and he is worth about 11 Billion. In that article, it said that he had changed his mind about giving 99% of his money to charity.