ISP New Moderation system [Please Read]

Oct 30, 2009
Dear All,

We would like to bring to your attention a new method of moderation of our forums, in order to bring more consistency to the way we moderate the site.

We have had quite a lot of feedback from our members regarding the way we moderate ISP, and we fully agree that at times we have not been consistent in the way we have taken actions against different members.

Hence we have put together an automatic warning system (points based) which should be clear for everyone.

Advertising/Spamming: 1 point
other: 1 point
Signature Rule Violation: 1 point
Inappropriate Language: 2 points
Insulted Other Member(s): 2 points
Racist remark: 2 points

Inappropriate language, personal attacks and racist remarks would give you two warning points, and advertising, spamming, etc will give you one warning points. Once you reach 4 points, you would automatically receive a 15 day ban.

Warning points are valid for two months, and would expire after this period. ie, if a member is warned once in a two month period, this warning would be wiped off after two months, and hence their warning points would go back to 0.

The site would be moderated by two moderators and two admins.

Moderators: Arian and Niloufar
Admins: Pooya and Ali

Members are encouraged to report any problems by pressing the alert button, or emailing admin@iransportspress.com.

Kind regards
ISP

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
uhh... Isnt this a bit totalitarian for a pretty mild community sports forum? I understand the need to be fair but there is always context and intent involved. This kind of system seems pretty numbing to the whole ISP experience. I think we all trust the mods here to make judgment calls when the need arises... But thats just my opinion.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
uhh... Isnt this a bit totalitarian for a pretty mild community sports forum? I understand the need to be fair but there is always context and intent involved. This kind of system seems pretty numbing to the whole ISP experience. I think we all trust the mods here to make judgment calls when the need arises... But thats just my opinion.
ADC , thanks for the feedback, the moderation team we discussed for almost 2 weeks and all agreed this approch is the best and the main purpose was so everyone is going to be treated the same and we now follow a guide which hopefully help everyone to feel better while at ISP.

The_Referee

National Team Player
Mar 26, 2005
Jabolqa Opposite Jabolsa
How about velvet revolution against admins and moderators? :D

But seriously Pooya Jaan, any measure against suck puppets, using proxies? Or we simply ignore that practice and let go?

I understand it is almost impossible to track them as free proxies are everywhere and even if one is certain from contents of posts that some member do indeed commit the act but not having any laws against it or being so relax on it will bring a lot of frustration, which would hence result in cursing and further bans etc.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
How about velvet revolution against admins and moderators? :D

But seriously Pooya Jaan, any measure against suck puppets, using proxies? Or we simply ignore that practice and let go?

I understand it is almost impossible to track them as free proxies are everywhere and even if one is certain from contents of posts that some member do indeed commit the act but not having any laws against it or being so relax on it will bring a lot of frustration, which would hence result in cursing and further bans etc.
Ostad,
this was discussed as well, just to be sure we closed the forum last Monday for about 5 hours, i ran every possible log comparison among the accused people having same IP, there is not a single match, and i tell you proxy was ONE of criteria, i checked from the time they log in, how they log in, where they login, how long after login they make a post, and few more, and i mean NONE are matching, as a result we decided we are not going to take any action or continue this discussion until we have some sort of similarity among the ID's and not only style of writing, just to give you an example, the new user "Ghahremaan" was reported by many as a clone of GP, it turned out he was an old timer trying to get GP in trouble. clear example how we just cant go by style of writing.

:cheers:

The_Referee

National Team Player
Mar 26, 2005
Jabolqa Opposite Jabolsa
Ostad,
this was discussed as well, just to be sure we closed the forum last Monday for about 5 hours, i ran every possible log comparison among the accused people having same IP, there is not a single match, and i tell you proxy was ONE of criteria, i checked from the time they log in, how they log in, where they login, how long after login they make a post, and few more, and i mean NONE are matching, as a result we decided we are not going to take any action or continue this discussion until we have some sort of similarity among the ID's and not only style of writing, just to give you an example, the new user "Ghahremaan" was reported by many as a clone of GP, it turned out he was an old timer trying to get GP in trouble. clear example how we just cant go by style of writing.

:cheers:
Thanks Pooya Jaan.

Transparency is a great thing and gives you the best peace of mind. I hope you do this kind of clarifications more often so we know about your great efforts to keep this forum clean and to the rules. Otherwise, many start assuming and frustrated.

Thanks again for all the time and effort.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
Thanks Pooya Jaan.

Transparency is a great thing and gives you the best peace of mind. I hope you do this kind of clarifications more often so we know about your great efforts to keep this forum clean and to the rules. Otherwise, many start assuming and frustrated.

Thanks again for all the time and effort.
Appreciate it. trust me we might not show it but every little feedback is discussed. and that is we always welcome them.

Sep 25, 2005
well done to you guys for finding an equitable system...before members were treated differently to others, now everyone gets the same treatment.

eshghi

News Team
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, CA
I've never had issues with the way you run the site (or moderated it), but this seems like a good way to go. At least it puts the offenders on notice about what is not tolerated and to what extent. dar har haal khasteh nabaashid!

dameh hamegitoon garm.

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
I am going to go out on a limb and tell you that this is going to fail promptly. I don't see how any good can come from this approach. While it attempts to be impartial by introducing a point system, the subjective matter of "insults" remains, so a moderator has to determine what is an insult and what isn't. The people who are the most detrimental to this site are those who tend not to use profanity, but with screwed up logic and taunts, goad others into using insults. What will happen, for example, people like GP will go on posting BS, and a whole bunch of people who respond to their propaganda will get banned for insulting him. Sorry, guys, but nothing good is going to come from this approach that isn't already possible under the current rules.

IranZamin

IPL Player
Feb 17, 2006
i ran every possible log comparison among the accused people having same IP, there is not a single match, and i tell you proxy was ONE of criteria, i checked from the time they log in, how they log in, where they login, how long after login they make a post, and few more, and i mean NONE are matching
What does this even mean?:rolleyes:

You're acting like using sock puppets is a high level espionage operation!

If someone decides to post with different handles, all they have to do is post as one person from work and another person from home, or set Internet Explorer to one proxy and use firefox to post simultaneously as two different people. There is no way you can guard against this by just checking IP's and login times. The evidence is right there in thousands of posts.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
What does this even mean?:rolleyes:

You're acting like using sock puppets is a high level espionage operation!

If someone decides to post with different handles, all they have to do is post as one person from work and another person from home, or set Internet Explorer to one proxy and use firefox to post simultaneously as two different people. There is no way you can guard against this by just checking IP's and login times. The evidence is right there in thousands of posts.
if you do that most of your posts are made more a less in same time range. lets say from 8 AM to 11 PM your local time. and should make few posts from 11 pm to 8 AM , how do explain someone making majority of their post from 8 to 11 and their so called OTHER handle makes them from 11 AM to 8AM are you suggesting this person never sleeps? this is ISP last comment regarding this issue, if you like further info please contact admin@IranSportsPress.com

Thank you,

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
i asked you a question, and you cant answer it, you say you are reasoning with me? another example , you reported Ghahremaan saying it was another ID by GP, i did my tests and found out it was an old member trying to sound like him, just how he fooled you other nick names are doing the same.