John McCain introducing legislation to ban Iran from World Cup

Bong

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
The TimesMay 06, 2006
Allies may split over call to ban Iran from finals

From Tom Baldwin in Washington and Richard Beeston
THE participation of Iran in the World Cup finals this summer is beginning to open up cracks in the West’s previously united front against the Tehran regime.
The Bush Administration is understood to be alarmed about the prospect of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the hardline President of Iran, attending the football tournament in Germany.
NI_MPU('middle');President Bush had been expected to raise the issue this week when he held talks with Angela Merkel, the German Chancellor. Neither American nor German officials would confirm that the subject had been discussed, with both sides declining to comment on a “very private meeting”.
A spokesman for the White House said: “The question about Ahmadinejad going to Germany is still very much up in the air. The President may have asked how Merkel intends to deal with it [but] this is a decision the German Government has got to make.”
Senator John McCain, the front-runner for the next Republican presidential nomination, recently tabled a congressional resolution calling for Iran to be thrown out of the World Cup as part of a sanctions package designed to halt its pursuit of nuclear weapons.
“The [Iranian] national team is scheduled to play its first match in Nuremberg, Germany,” Mr McCain said. “There is a cynical historical irony to this, in light of President Ahmadinejad’s vile statements denying the Holocaust and calling for Israel’s eradication.”
Taking action against Iran would, in the view of the US administration, be “incendiary”.
Jack Straw, who until yesterday was the British Foreign Secretary, has also expressed doubts about whether it would work. In any case, FIFA, the football governing body, would not countenance expelling Iran without a United Nations Security Council resolution authorising such sanctions. This is unlikely to be forthcoming given the stated reluctance of China and Russia. German officials said that a country hosting the World Cup had to admit members of the team and the head of state. “Ahmadinejad has the right to come to Germany to attend the World Cup,” a German diplomat said. “But this only applies to the head of state. His entourage, his bodyguards and aides would all require visas to travel to Germany. So far we have had no signals that the Iranian President wants to come. We certainly have no intention of inviting him.”

Bong

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
what a piece of shit!

Even more reason why I hope we win our first game that John McCain is trying to prevent us from playing! Hopefully a bunch of German fans will also support us because of Zandi, Hashemian, and Kia.

Feb 20, 2006
he is the leading candidate for republican party for the next term. it is highly likey that he will become the next president if the democrats can't find a good candidate to represent them.

Last edited:

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
I hate MacCain with passion. Even if he cheers for Iran I still hate that moron. I see ugliness in his face, stupidity in his remarks, and commonality in his behavior.

Last edited:

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
footballlover said:
He can sunk my dink and I would still not vote for him!:hau:
I think J.W.B. is the bottom low you can vote for. McCain is way uglier and more redneck!

Last edited:

Behrang(ISP)

King of Posts
Oct 16, 2002
www.iransportspress.com
Guy's lets try to keep our emotion in check here. We all know this is pure politics and nothing like this can happen. The United States has no basis to do anything like this and we all know it so let's not worry about it right now. Even Bush can't stop Iran from participating in the World Cup. Merkel could not stop Iran from participating from the World Cup.

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
Behrang(ISP) said:
Guy's lets try to keep our emotion in check here. We all know this is pure politics and nothing like this can happen. The United States has no basis to do anything like this and we all know it so let's not worry about it right now. Even Bush can't stop Iran from participating in the World Cup. Merkel could not stop Iran from participating from the World Cup.
Behrang,
you r right, but that smelly bastard who has never seen a soccer ball in his f***ing life is getting on my nerve!

Aug 26, 2005
I suppose Iranians should also make some noise regarding America's exploits these past few years. If you count the numbers of wars they've been in, and initiated, they'd be considered the scourge of the earth. But no, just like the English a few centuries ago who went to other countries to spread "civilisation" and "christianity", this time the American's are spreading "democracy" and "ridding the world of terrorism". Whoever doesn't oblige is ran over. Disgusting.

Babak G

News Team, ISP Managers Team
Feb 13, 2003
Parts Unknown
Well JC can go and shove a piece of wood right where the sun dont shine. He should stick to helping his own people, their domestic plight instead of looking for his 15 minutes in the limelight. Does he even know what football is? Or "soccer" as he might call it?

Bong

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Behrang(ISP) said:
Behrang Jan,

Yeah, it is very unlikely Iran will get banned from WC. But this legislation actually obliges the U.S. executive to push for Iran's exclusion from WC as a UN Security Council sanction. So basically, if the legislation gets passed, Bush has to demand Iran to be banned from WC as a matter of U.S. policy at the UNSC. Of course the UNSC actually agreeing to this is rather unlikely, but if it does happen then Merkel will be violating a UN resolution by allowing Iran to play.

sirabi

News Team
Sep 19, 2005
Where is the outrage people? This shows the double standards of us Iranians. This clown wants to put the biggest penalty in sporting terms on us, KICK US OUT OF THE WORLD CUP, and there are only two pages. What if this was some Arab politician or some African President? Withing a few hours, there would be six pages talking about malnutrition, backwards Arab susmar khor, etc etc. I don't understand how this is somehow better? He wants to bloody kick us out, and these people know full well that it has nothing to do with politics. The only thing a decision like this will do is harm the people of Iran, and no one else.

Makaveli

IPL Player
Jan 28, 2006
alright sirabi, i know ill take a lot of heat for what im saying but here it goes.

I'de be more pissed but its john mccain man, this guy is one of the most level headed and soft spoken politicians in all of the USA. i've followed him long before his 2000 campaign and from back then until today every time hes talked about Iran he's said good things. We're all fans here and sure we'll get pissed by TM being banned but it does make sense from where he stands. I am pissed but if it was anyone else i'de be more pissed, and the fact of the matter is Iran is NOT gonna be banned, the world cup is in about a month and no need to be outraged. In my very humble opinion of course