June 1972 - Iran Defats North Korea and qualifies for 1972 Olympics

OldFan

Bench Warmer
Feb 4, 2005
These guys defeated North Korea in Athens !!! to book their flight to Munich. Iran had tied N. Korea twice and they had to play a third match, which they played in Greece.

Love Iran! Go Iran!

Slide1.JPG Slide2.JPG Slide3.JPG Slide4.JPG Slide5.JPG Slide6.JPG Slide7.JPG Slide8.JPG

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Thanks for sharing thses great photos with us , I am sure they are from Kayhan varzeshi as I remember having that edition with all the colour photos .

you can tell what a one sided game it was just by looking at the picture of our centre forward Saffar Iranpaak and how far away he is from the North korean goal ,it is as if he is playing as defender ! well in fact all of our 11 players were forced to defend for most of the 90 minutes hence the comment from Ghelich who said he did not see the half way line !

how we did not concede a goal was best put by the Korean coach who claimed hands of God came out of the sleeves of Iran keeper and saved them !:)

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
These guys defeated North Korea in Athens !!! to book their flight to Munich. Iran had tied N. Korea twice and they had to play a third match, which they played in Greece.
Not Greece.the 3rd match was played in Ravelpendi , Pakistan.hot and humid.i watched it live on black & white TV.Hossein Kalani & Safar Iranpaak scored the goals for the 2-0 win.Nasser Hejazi had another monster game.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Not Greece.the 3rd match was played in Ravelpendi , Pakistan.hot and humid.i watched it live on black & white TV.Hossein Kalani & Safar Iranpaak scored the goals for the 2-0 win.Nasser Hejazi had another monster game.
Yes you are right on the money ,it was Kuwait that we beat 2-0 in Athens in another qualifying match.

kasra1930

National Team Player
Dec 30, 2011
Great pictures....thanks for sharing these pictures with us,old fan jan....

ghelich khani,the night before this match,he developped diarrhea,and got sick,and dehydrated....but the iranian coach,did not care..because his presence was very necessary for this game.....Ghelich run almost 90 minutes but during the game,due to evere weakness,and dehydration,he got severly sick,as you se in this picture....

after the game,he lost his consciousness,and was sent to athe hospital for treatment.....this scene that you see happened 3 times in the game.....

between first half and second half,Iran doctor connects him with serum,and give him fluid by injection....

just watch him,and other old players,and compare them with these moroon players we have in team melli now a days....(rahmati,nekounam,....)with a milliard wealth,still would not like to play for team-e-melli....and resign......

that is the difference.....

OldFan

Bench Warmer
Feb 4, 2005
you are right mashdi jaan, i was sleepy. iran had another pla off in greece i beleive against kuwait.