Juventus vs Barcelona historical matches

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
Those people are in denial.

If Pele had been trained with today's standards, yeah maybe he would've had a shot (depending on his intelligence and luck), but what Pele was back then is not considered 'good enough' for even a mid-table team these days.

Same with Maradona (though he did play the more modern game and still looked brilliant for the most part).

Players who blossomed before mid 90s are pretty much all inferior to their later counterparts. The game really changed, and its evolution picked up lots of pace in the 90s and 2000s.
It was more like mid 80's which football started to change a lot specially Serie A first and then it accelerated in early 90's when the rules of having maximum three foreign players was lifted. Both Platini and Maradona played half modern football in late 80's. But football ten years ago is not as fast as today's football let alone thirty years ago.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
1985-1986 European Cup Quarter Final Barcelona vs Juventus:
The first time this two teams played in European Cup which later become Champions League was back in 85-86 season in the QF where Juventus was the defending champion and have beaten Verona in the last round which was the Italian champion and Barcelona was coming after defeating Porto. Juventus was with stars such as Platini, Laudrup, Scirea, and Cabrini and was the favorite. The first leg in Nuo Camp was in front of 120,000 fans and Barcelona won 1-0 with the late goal from Julio Alberto the Spanish full back.

Alberto goal:
[video]https://youtu.be/PS2mEQIn3IA[/video]
Full match:
[video]https://youtu.be/6NE0MhfZXtw[/video]

The second leg back in Turin in front of 57,000 fans ended 1-1 with Platini for Juve and the Scottish striker Archibald for Barcelona. The Scottish scored first with Juve GK, Tacconi mistake. Juve had to score three to go through and only Platini could equalize at the end of first half so Barcelona goes through. That year Barcelona made it to the final and lost to Steaua from Romania in Seville. Juventus win the Scudetto that year but Barcelona finish as runner up behind Real Madrid that season.

First half highlight:
[video]https://youtu.be/fJUCIdsUfO8[/video]
Second half highlight:
[video]https://youtu.be/QUWoRZslhD4[/video]
Full Match:
[video]https://youtu.be/33NOEw9bJbg[/video]

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
1990-1991 Cup Winners Cup Semi Finals Barcelona vs Juventus:

This is the only time this two teams met at this tournament and Barcelona under John Cruyff has already won this competition two years before this and has already made Barcelona the most successful team of CWC history. Barcelona was with stars such as Stoichkov, ex-Juve player Laudrup, Koeman, and Zubizarreta and now were facing Juventus with Baggio, Thomas Häßler, Julio Cesar and Schillachi. The first leg in Nuo Camp in front of 110,000 fans started horribly for Barcelona as a horrible back pass got Zubizarreta wrong footed and Casiraghi took advantage and scored the first goal. But in the second half Stoichkov scored two quick goals and later Goikoetxea scored a beautiful long range goal to make it 3-1 for Barcelona.

Highlights:
[video]https://youtu.be/LYd-X1e2Tc8[/video]
Extended Highlights:
[video]https://youtu.be/c-wZg2xbBTM[/video]
Full Match:
[video]https://youtu.be/N1CBiVFaw6Q[/video]

In the second leg in Delle Alpi in front of 65,000 fans Juventus had to win the game and Baggio scored on the amazing free kick to put the Juve in front but Juve had to score another one to advance so Juve put more pressure but Barca defended well and the game finished 1-0 and not enough for Juve to go to final. Baggio became the top goal scorer of the competition with 9 goals out of ten games. Barcelona met Man United in the final under Sir Alex but Cryuff team lost so Alex Ferguson can win his first European Trophy. Barcelona won the La Liga that year and eventually went and won the next European Cup against Sampdoria next season. Juventus finished 7th in the Serie A that year but won the Uefa Cup two years later with Baggio.

Highlights:
[video]https://youtu.be/6OSa7CPb-6k[/video]
Baggio free kick:
[video]https://youtu.be/1wh7xbb-Gp4[/video]

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
Also found the video of 1970-1971 second leg match between Juve and Barca in Turin in front of 40,000 fans which finished 2-1 in favor of Juve with Bettega and Capello goals for Juve and Pujol for Barca.
[video]https://youtu.be/BENwlyezJbo[/video]

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
am I dreaming or this will the first time that Champions league will be aired on free-ti-air TV in the U.S.

apparently fox network will carry the game live.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
2002-2003 Champions League Quarter Finals:
This is the last time they meet at an official tournament where it was called Champions League now. Juve was coming after selling their star player Zidane to Real Madrid and now was with top form players such as Nedved and Camoranesi, and was with players such as Buffon, Thuram, Del Piero, Trezeguet and Zambrotta and Barcelona was with players such as Saviola, Xavi, Kluivert, De Boer, Puyol, Riquelme, Overmars. The first leg in Turin finished 1-1 in front of 49,000 fans with Montero first half goal on the corner which was cancelled out by Saviola deflected attempt in the second half.

[video]https://youtu.be/5QPE2f7wsZc?t=14[/video]

The second Leg in Nuo Camp in front of 98,000 fans, Nedved scored first but Xavi equalized 15min later and sent the game to extra time where Zayaleta Uruguayan striker scored in the extra time for Juve to sent Juve in semi finals. Only Buffon and Xavi remain from those time in both teams. That year Barcelona finished horrible 6th place in La liga but Juventus won the Serie A that year and went to CL final only to loose in the penalties against Milan.
[video]https://youtu.be/LtpENObVceM[/video]

Last edited:

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I love messi as a player. but i think those who claim he is the best palyer of history
have a common prejudice of giving more significance to current Era that has better coverage of the game in HD
and so on.

in my view the most complete player of history was probably Zidane. He could head the ball, dribble the ball. good speed.
good defensive capability. great leader.

You did not need to design the team around him. He would just fit in.

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
You did not need to design the team around him. He would just fit in.
A team that wasn't designed around Zidane would simply look and play stupid. Zidane was a superb central midfielder. Even the crappiest central midfielders usually have the team designed around them, let alone Zidane.

Even in today's game, Messi has to fall back and act as a central offensive midfielder in order to enjoy the effect that players like Zidane enjoyed purely because of their position.

For any top coach I don't think the choice between Messi and Zidane (as a last choice to complete their team) would be a hard one. Messi would easily get 100% of the votes. And there's more than enough reasons for that. No sane coach would give up Messi to have Zidane in their team. If you want results, you pick Messi. End of story.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
For any top coach I don't think the choice between Messi and Zidane (as a last choice to complete their team) would be a hard one. Messi would easily get 100% of the votes. And there's more than enough reasons for that. No sane coach would give up Messi to have Zidane in their team. If you want results, you pick Messi. End of story.
It depends!. We have never seen messi play with a bunch of average players around him.

Messi's game is not very versatile. His game is highly dependent on his incredible speed and quickness.
once he goes above a certain age that speed is gone drop off and he is gone turn into a guy with average dribbling capability.

don't get me wrong he is gone be top five of all time. but he has only one style of play.

but If I compare the peak of Ronaldinho or compare the peak of Zidane's with Messi's Peak.
I will take them. The just could far more things. They could help on corners. They had strong physic.
just a lot more balanced.

I have to give credit where it is due. I would have never thought back in 2006. that almost 9 years later Messi would be still running
at full speed despite so many miles on those legs. HE does not have incredible fitness.

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
We have never seen messi play with a bunch of average players around him.
Same holds true for Zidane. Specially Zidane!

Again, purely from a result-getting perspective, it's hard to argue with Messi's abilities. Ronaldinho would probably match up pretty well, but not Zidane.

Zidane did have the ability to lift his team, but he wasn't as capable of someone like Messi in changing a hopeless situation into a win. Messi has been doing this pretty much every single week for years now.

I don't know if you follow Barca, but there are many games in which Barcelona looks absolutely hopeless, and then Messi shows up with something extraordinary to make it look like an easy win for the entire team.

Even yesterday, Barca was looking quite hopeless after Juve's equalizer. They were hitting a wall and Juve was actually dictating the game for a few minutes. Look what Messi did for that 2nd goal. It was a tap-in for Suarez, but Messi actually created the entire thing. Zidane might have done that 5-6 times in his career. Messi has done it dozens of times.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Messi actually played with bunch of average guys. At the argentine national team. Not that those guys are the typical average players but there is no difference between bunch of average players and bunch of good players who are out of sync and cant get on the same page with Messi to make him play to his full potential and it showed. Messi most of the times looked lost whenever he played for argentina. Only during the last WC they tried to get him involve a little more and it payed off immediately. I think we cant compare anyone with any other player specially when they play in different eras. I think Zidans game was more about finesse, he was not very fast but he was really like a ballet dancer on the field. Messi is more straight forward, no nonsense, he is designed to find the easiest and straightest way to goal. Both helped their teams win games, both outstanding footballers, i think its only a matter of personal preference to put one above the other. I for my one as example feel like Michael Laudrup was the best player in the world. I simply cant forget his unbelievable assists, goals, shots, dribblings and how cool he has been whenever he had the ball. He has played for all the big clubs Juve (the only period of time that i at least didnt hate Juve), Real, Barca.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
It depends!. We have never seen messi play with a bunch of average players around him.
Zidane was around the best most of his career except his early days in France, nevertheless Bordeaux was one of good French teams with also such as Dugarry and Lizarazu. His Juve team was stacked, his Real Madrid was even more stacked and his French NT was one of the best at the time. He was so great that made every one else look average, that's all!

Messi's game is not very versatile. His game is highly dependent on his incredible speed and quickness.
once he goes above a certain age that speed is gone drop off and he is gone turn into a guy with average dribbling capability.
Actually if you pay a lot of attention to Messi this season you'll see many times he droped so deep and make many fantastic long ball passes for Neymar and Suarez, kind of like Xavi or Pirlo style. With Rakitic doing all the dirty work and Messi dropping deep, lack of Xavi appearances hasn't cost Barca at all. Messi is also a great passer something Zidane was so great at. Zidane used to read the game like no other could, Messi also showing many signs that could also do too as well. As players get older they also get wiser, I'm sure messi also get much wiser and he already a very wise player.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Messi's game is not very versatile.
LOL!

Anyway...good season byebyenow. You also had a great final, but when the score was 1-1, Messi simply wanted it more and Luisito wanted it too and the supporting cast of Messi that day was too good, Iniesta went on God mode, Pique played the best football of his career, Busquets too and then it's impossible to beat Barca.

Azhidahak

Bench Warmer
May 30, 2005
Pique played the best football of his career

First person I see mention and acknowledge Pique in this match! I remember watching the match and thinking for myself "Is this Pique the same Pique I have been watching for the last 2-3 years or have he switched body with someone else??"

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
First person I see mention and acknowledge Pique in this match! I remember watching the match and thinking for myself "Is this Pique the same Pique I have been watching for the last 2-3 years or have he switched body with someone else??"
He has been superb since the start of the year. He lost at least 4-5 kilograms and you can see that in his game. So yeah, he kind of switched body with someone else. LOL.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
LOL!

Anyway...good season byebyenow. You also had a great final, but when the score was 1-1, Messi simply wanted it more and Luisito wanted it too and the supporting cast of Messi that day was too good, Iniesta went on God mode, Pique played the best football of his career, Busquets too and then it's impossible to beat Barca.
Congrats on the treble! The second one must be really nice.
Yeah Juve tried it's best but when a team like Barca is so stacked with so many greats it is close to impossible to beat them you need luck on your shoulder or something. Nevertheless Juve worked hard and never stopped fighting and as a fan that is what you want to see. They have outran every team this season including Barca but Barca qualities were too much for Juve's hard work. Pique was outstanding he was rock solid and I also thought Alba did great. Morata pace was giving Mascherano some difficulties though. Iniesta is simply an outstanding player, one more and he match Maldini with five trophies, his passes were close to art. I never thought how both Barzagli and Pique look so alike and they both also played very well, I still think Barzagli was not 100% as when Neymar pulled him off the middle and skillfully passed it through Iniesta in his vacuum for that beautiful goal he was little too slow and he usually deal with them better. That was still an outstanding goal and Messi's diagonal pass to Neymar was world class in the build up to that goal. He gave few more like that like the one for Suarez which he barely missed it, talking about Mess's abilities are only in his speed and dribbling;)
Suarez has been a fantastic player for Barca this season he is so unselfish and work so hard and cover in defense and almost is in every part of the field, he is just amazing. Messi drop deep on many occasions away from central defenders try to open up the defense by his amazing long passes or his runs across the defenders and his short passes with his teammates.. Neymar also has found his rhythm with Barca, this is the the great team for many years to come. I'm just curious that which Barca team you think was stronger, under Pep or this one?

Last edited:

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
I'm just curious that which Barca team you think was stronger, under Pep or this one?
Difficult to say. They have different strengths in different areas. I would say 2011 team was the strongest as every player was at his peak. Then is this one but very close. Third is 2008-2009 time.

But 2011 was the best, especially regarding mental strength. Also look at it this way, the 2011 team came from winning the third title in a row in the toughest league ever, played the best game I have ever seen (5-0 against Madrid) and overall had an incredible aura of invincibility.

So 2011, 2015, 2010, 2009 to me.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
Difficult to say. They have different strengths in different areas. I would say 2011 team was the strongest as every player was at his peak. Then is this one but very close. Third is 2008-2009 time.

But 2011 was the best, especially regarding mental strength. Also look at it this way, the 2011 team came from winning the third title in a row in the toughest league ever, played the best game I have ever seen (5-0 against Madrid) and overall had an incredible aura of invincibility.

So 2011, 2015, 2010, 2009 to me.
Yeah I think the same way that 5-0 win over Mourinho Madrid team was something else! Barca only lost the cup final to Madrid that year and that game could have gone in either way. Villa and Pedro were at top of their game and Xavi and Iniesta were younger. But both Suarez and Neymar has added so much to this team though and I really think Luis Enrique have done so well after many people doubted him. The counterattacking football has been added to Barcelona game plan and they do it so deadly as the last two goals in the final did came after two counterattacks.