Karimi's Return- A short term patch or long term solution?

Karimi's Return- A short term patch or long term solution?

• 1. Short Term Patch- will hurt TM later when he quits before WC Qualifiers due to age.

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • 2. Long Term Solution- will help TM reach the next World Cup

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 14, 2003
CA
So I am pretty disappointed at Ghotbi for inviting Karimi. I belive Karimi has already passed his peak and although he can save Ghotbi some face for a short time, in 2-3 years(right before WC Qualifications) he will quit, and then we have to run around and look for a replacement that can play in the team... and by then its too late..

Others may have other points of view which I would like to know about, so please share your thoughts....

Sep 25, 2005
if he can find that fire within him that made him a star in 04 then he can be a handy player for us. There are little players with his talents, his 31, so his still got a fair bit of football ahead of him.

I just hope we can find another player with his talents yet with bigger desire and passion for the game in the future.

ALI M.D

Bench Warmer
Jul 8, 2003
Montreal
Well Just cause he's back doesnt mean he should be a starting eleven fix. I think Karimi would be great boost for this young squad coming in of the bench in second halfs and playing crucial minutes with players who might not be mentaly ready for the national stage. I think Karimi playing around 30 min a game would be fantastic and could be the kind of boost we need to take us far in the asian cup. Specially the fact that you can basically stick him in at any spot from side to side in the midfield to even up front to find sum magic and score some goals. He will be a good addition even if it is just for 2-3 years

ghilich

Bench Warmer
Oct 12, 2004
usa
The poll is phrased in a biased way. Karimi or ANY player at his age, OBVIOUSLY is a short term solution. BUT, that does not mean he will hurt TM for the next WC. With the level of talent in Iran, he can STILL help Iran for the NEXT WC QUALS. And if he retires before the WC itself, and has helped Iran get there, that is PLENTY OF HELP already. That is putting the cart way way before the horse anyway....One man does not a team make. TM needs to get a LOT, and I mean a whole HECK OF A LOT, better before we even dream of going to the next WC. Let's please not kid ourselves. We are a 2nd Tier team in Asia at this point. Even Bahrain has a better team than us!!! Think about that one..seriously.

Jojeh Mashtee

Bench Warmer
May 14, 2003
CA
The poll is phrased in a biased way. Karimi or ANY player at his age, OBVIOUSLY is a short term solution.
The poll's question is reflecting Ghotbi's decision on inviting a player who will be too old for the next WC.

I think the people who don't like the poll, really don't like the result of the poll , not the poll itself! :)

Last edited:

ghilich

Bench Warmer
Oct 12, 2004
usa
The poll's question is reflecting Ghotbi's decision on inviting a player who will be too old for the next WC.

I think the people who don't like the poll, really don't like the result of the poll , not the poll itself! :)
Nah Aziz Jan, as I did not participate in the poll, since I think it is incorrectly phrased. If you read my reply carefully again, the reasoning is all there. The poll should have simply been:

Do you agree with Ghotbi's decision to invite Karimi back to the TM?
Yes
No

and then I would have voted yes. As I said, one player can NOT make Iran reach the next WC, we need MAJOR improvement. Now which part of that is too biased etc Aziz? I know you will come up w/ something to keep this going, but I said it clearly and that is it for me on this.

Jojeh Mashtee

Bench Warmer
May 14, 2003
CA
Nah Aziz Jan, as I did not participate in the poll, since I think it is incorrectly phrased. If you read my reply carefully again, the reasoning is all there. The poll should have simply been:

Do you agree with Ghotbi's decision to invite Karimi back to the TM?
Yes
No

and then I would have voted yes. As I said, one player can NOT make Iran reach the next WC, we need MAJOR improvement. Now which part of that is too biased etc Aziz? I know you will come up w/ something to keep this going, but I said it clearly and that is it for me on this.
If the poll was done the way you have indicated, The answer would have been both Yes and NO! Why ? because his decision was correct short term, and incorrect long term!
Not every issue has a yes or no answer, sometimes things are good from 1 angel and not good from another, and I wanted to see what most people care about. short term success or long term success.

As far as one player not making or breaking a team, although that reasoning may be correct in countries like Brazil, Germany, and other top soccer countries where all players are professional, in Iran, we don't have that luxury!
Karimi is far far more superior as far as talent, experience, and knowledge than the 6-7 players combined who has never even played outside of Iran... taking that kinda player out of the team in 2-3 years will be a major shift,
That reasoning would have made sense if we were talking about Spain or Brazil, but reality is much different than that.. we are talking about Iran.

Also, I would appreciate it if you want to attack my threads in the future, do it because u really have a point that can help TM and Iran.
Not because we had some arguements in the past and you are holding a personal grudge against me and that makes everything i put here bad!