Korea vs. Uzbekistan - Likely Scenarios and What is Best for Us

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
I am supporting Korea to beat Uzis ... once they are qualified we have a better chance of beating them or get a draw ....Uzbeks can go and show their physical game to Uruguans ,let them bite lumps out of each other !

Aug 13, 2003
Iran will beat Lebenan with a few goals --> Iran 13 points. Uzbaks will beat Qatar --> Uzbaks 14 points. S. Korea will beat Iran --> S. Korea 14 points. The game between S. Korea and Uzbacks will not affect the outcome. Iran will finish third.
Finaly sombody got it right! Iran will finish third with 13 points. there is simply no way iran will beat S korea in soul. I have seen Korea, they are better than Iran. we will end up playing Oman or Australia. Either way we are doomed. South American team way too good for us to get a point! So have you funs with all these permutations. Ardesheer is on the spot. Bottom line: our group standing is well justified by our ability to compete and the strenght of our league to produce quality players. All teams above us are more superior in all aspects. Therefore, the best analysis is to take each team at their face value and look at the trend and the probability of where they are going. Catching up is simply not the strenght of the team melie. Football gods very unhappy with Iran!

BehzadB

Bench Warmer
Feb 18, 2006
Shooshtar
The most Iran can manage against Lebanon is a 1-0 win.
If we can't score more than 1 goal on Lebanon in Azadi, then we shouldn't go to the WC anyways.

Iran will win with a much bigger margin than 1-0. I am thinking more like 4 to 6 goals. The good thing is that we play Lebanon after SK/Uzbk game. so we'll know where we stand before we play Lebanon.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
When the shitty Iranian team due to Seyed Rahamati lost to Lebanon that was the end of us.... Same Goes to the Uzbek team in Tehran. A tie in either case would have had us in the driver seat right now. Instead we suck and we fucked up. Now will suffer. Korea has stopped us before and I do not see them not doing it again. Its true its a derby and a great one but over the last 6-8 years Korea has definitely had the upper hand over us..

I have become just like our dear friend (PARANOIDBENCHWARMER)

We suck and that's the bottom line. We will be eliminated again once again with one goal short or one point short...

Last edited:

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
The best is if we can get only a point from Lebanon and Koreans tie with Uzbeks. I like it when we MUST win to qualify. If we need a draw against a team like Korea we won't get it.

Silverton

National Team Player
Nov 6, 2004
If Korea ties with Uzbekistan, they may also may take more risks against us and open themselves up defensively and be more vulnerable

Aug 13, 2003
When the shitty Iranian team due to Seyed Rahamati lost to Lebanon that was the end of us.... Same Goes to the Uzbek team in Tehran. A tie in either case would have had us in the driver seat right now. Instead we suck and we fucked up. Now will suffer. Korea has stopped us before and I do not see them not doing it again. Its true its a derby and a great one but over the last 6-8 years Korea has definitely had the upper hand over us..

We suck and that's the bottom line. We will be eliminated again once again with one goal short or one point short...
At the end of the day we have to give credit to this CQ badbakhte bichareh keh hey bekhodesh migeh ajab che galati kardam coach in team shodam! Remember this coach did a good job to seach the universe for Iranian players in Europe. At least it paid off against Qatar.

Aug 13, 2003

Thanks for the complements! But our FIFA ranking also sucks! Latest rankings we are close to 70th position! LOL!
http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/index.html#

ferdosi

Bench Warmer
Apr 21, 2004
Nevertheless, I agree totally that blowing some good players from Uzbek and S. Korea will benefit is drastically and very realistic that happens.
LOL did you mean this as a joke, or where you trying to say something else? LOL "Blowing their Good players, will benefit drastically" LOL yeah they will probably be very relaxed and not run as much after an orgasm.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
The worst possible result for us is if the Uzbeks beat Korea. That's going to put tremendous pressure on us for that last game to win, because tying Korea even until the 98 ;) minute is not guarantee of qualification - they never give up and always score at the last second and that would be a terrible way to go out. The whole game is going to be like that last 15 minutes of the Australia-Iran game for 98 minutes!!!

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
The worst possible result for us is if the Uzbeks beat Korea. That's going to put tremendous pressure on us for that last game to win, because tying Korea even until the 98 ;) minute is not guarantee of qualification - they never give up and always score at the last second and that would be a terrible way to go out. The whole game is going to be like that last 15 minutes of the Australia-Iran game for 98 minutes!!!
Honestly Bi-Honar jan, i dont think that in any case, whatever the score between Uzbekistan-S.Korea, Korea will "relax" against us and play an easy game. We are no matter what, in for a heart trenching, edge of the seat game in Korea. All we can hope for us is that this time, unlike the 2010 qualifications we will leave Korea with a World Cup ticket in our hands.

I am still slightly edged towards a draw being the best result for us and us heading into the last round on top of the table, only because that will this time put the pressure on our opponents. & i feel we can take advantage of what will promise to be open play by the Koreans. But i have said it before and i will say it again, we really need to stop focusing on the Uzb-Korea game, let whatever happen. We need to finish the job in Azadi first, something that will still not be as easy game as people like to think.

Shahram

Elite Member
Oct 21, 2002
Son ready to shine in Seoul

Published on Monday, 10 June 2013 21:36

Seoul: Korea Republic coach Choi Kang-hee has confirmed highly-rated Germany-based midfielder Son Heung-min will make his first start of the final round of qualifiers for the 2014 FIFA World Cup against with fellow Group A leaders Uzbekistan on Tuesday.

SV Hamburg’s Son has only made four substitute appearances during the final round, which included the dramatic stoppage-time winner in March as Korea edged out Qatar 2-1 in Seoul.

But after Korea needed Kim Chi-woo’s deflected free-kick deep into stoppage time to salvage a 1-1 draw with Lebanon last week, 20-year-old Son will start against Uzbekistan at Seoul World Cup Stadium as Choi’s side look to move closer to an eighth consecutive FIFA World Cup finals appearance.

The draw in Beirut did lift Korea to the top of the Group A table alongside Uzbekistan with two games remaining, although Iran are now just a point further adrift ahead of their meeting with Lebanon on Tuesday.

“I chose not to play Son up to now as I did not want to put too much pressure on him. But as the result in the last match against Lebanon was not satisfactory I have to play him in this high pressure game,” said Korea coach Choi.

“We are determined ahead of the match and we are prepared to show what we need to. All the players are in good spirit.

“Uzbekistan have a lot of confidence and good team spirit at the moment so we must play well as a team.”

Son came off the bench with 20 minutes remaining in Beirut last week having earlier also made two starts during the third round of qualifiers in 2011 against the United Arab Emirates and Lebanon.

“It is an important match and we all know that. We will make sure we have lots of communication and if we do that we will win,” said Son, pictured in action during Korea’s friendly match against Croatia.

“I am not satisfied with what I have done so far, but the past is in the past and what is important is the future. I will try and move a lot and create a lot of opportunities.

“Every game is important for the national team. We will look to have good communication and achieve a good result”

Uzbekistan’s arrival in Korea was delayed until Sunday following their 2-1 friendly win over China last week, although coach Mirdjalal Kasimov insists his side remain focused on taking a step closer to a first appearance at the FIFA World Cup finals.

“It is a very important game for both teams especially for us as we want to make history. I believe in my team and I think we will be in a good mood when we go home after the game,” said Kasimov.

“Korea have very good payers and have a very good shape. It will not be an easy game, but the mission is possible.

“We had to stay in Beijing due to a delayed flight. The weather was very bad and we were late on our way back to Beijing from Hohhot. This kind of thing happens, but this is football and you have to be ready for these unexpected and unplanned things.

“But we were able to take easy and we are in a good mood and we have already forgotten about this. We have rested and we are ready for the fight. We were still able to have a training session according to our schedule and our preparations are on track.”

With Uzbekistan set to round off their final round campaign against Qatar in Tashkent next week, Kasimov will look to captain and current Seongnam Ilhwa Chunma playmaker Server Djeparov to provide the inside track this week.

“It is a big match for us. We will look to beat Korea at home to make it possible for us to qualify for the finals,” said two-time AFC Asian Football of the Year Djeparov, who also helped FC Seoul win the K-League title in 2010 before a brief spell in Saudi Arabia.

“The mission is still on-going. We have not yet qualified for the finals and we still have to sacrifice ourselves in this kind of match.

“There is a fantastic atmosphere within the squad and now it is time to show this on the pitch and get a good result.”

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Honestly Bi-Honar jan, i dont think that in any case, whatever the score between Uzbekistan-S.Korea, Korea will "relax" against us and play an easy game. We are no matter what, in for a heart trenching, edge of the seat game in Korea. All we can hope for us is that this time, unlike the 2010 qualifications we will leave Korea with a World Cup ticket in our hands.

I am still slightly edged towards a draw being the best result for us and us heading into the last round on top of the table, only because that will this time put the pressure on our opponents. & i feel we can take advantage of what will promise to be open play by the Koreans. But i have said it before and i will say it again, we really need to stop focusing on the Uzb-Korea game, let whatever happen. We need to finish the job in Azadi first, something that will still not be as easy game as people like to think.
Arash jaan, I'm not expecting that game to be an easy one regardless - which is why an Uzbekistan win tomorrow would be a total disaster for us. If the Uzbeks win tomorrow, our game against Korea becomes a must-win for them and they're going to be playing even harder than usual because they really can't afford not to qualify to the WC in front of their home fans. I'm not saying they're not going to play hard if they don't need a win or just need a tie, but they're not going to killing themselves to score another goal if it's 1-1 @ the 85th minute.

Feb 22, 2005
We must go into both games with mentality of 2 wins, come out on the top of the group and qualify. The Iranian mentality of feeling bad for the poor and needy that has multiplied 1000 times since 1978, keeps on biting the Iranians.

It is no longer about brutally giving it all and playing your best to win against any team but rather playing weaker against weak teams and not give it all, as if feeling bad unconsciously. It is killing Iranians and disabling them to compete against the rest of the world.

Ali N.

Aug 3, 2004
Let's not make a big hype of So. Korea! I know it's a good team and I also think like some of you that they will qualify as first team... but you never know in soccer, maybe Uzbekistan and Iran will qualify as 1st and 2nd! My point is it won't be that tragic if Uzbeks win tomorrow... we just have to play our own game and stick to the plan, the rest you never know!

Feb 22, 2005
That will be tragic for S. Korea. When was the last time they did not quality? They are the Brazil of the Asia and have the killer mentality behind it.

We usually always get the same result on home/away vs. Korea. Korea will be playing to take revenge against getting beaten in Azadi.
e
Let's not make a big hype of So. Korea! I know it's a good team and I also think like some of you that they will qualify as first team... but you never know in soccer, maybe Uzbekistan and Iran will qualify as 1st and 2nd! My point is it won't be that tragic if Uzbeks win tomorrow... we just have to play our own game and stick to the plan, the rest you never know!

Shahram

Elite Member
Oct 21, 2002
Arash jaan, I'm not expecting that game to be an easy one regardless - which is why an Uzbekistan win tomorrow would be a total disaster for us. If the Uzbeks win tomorrow, our game against Korea becomes a must-win for them and they're going to be playing even harder than usual because they really can't afford not to qualify to the WC in front of their home fans. I'm not saying they're not going to play hard if they don't need a win or just need a tie, but they're not going to killing themselves to score another goal if it's 1-1 @ the 85th minute.
Agreed! A loss at home is a blow to their pride. A draw is not. Let's hope for a South Korean win by two goals!