Labor Unions vs. Wisconsin

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
I find what is going on in Wisconsin these days, most fascinating.
Here is a summary -
A governor (Scott Walker) was elected couple of years ago – he ran of the ticket of balancing Wisconsin’s state budget which was running wild. After Walker was elected, despite heavy pressure from local and national unions (Remember last year’s fiasco of State Capital being invaded and some Senators fleeing the state?) he courageously kept his promise by getting one simple law passed! This is law in my opinion is the most interesting and significant ruling in USA in the last several decades: As per the new law, union membership in Wisconsin is no longer mandatory. All employees in Wisconsin were given a choice to either stay with the unions or join a retirement and services program devised by the state, with fees less than dues workers paid to the unions. Needless to say, the plan worked, the state budget got balanced in a short time,……….and all are happy – except the Unions, which had been hit to the core.

The above summary (which I am sure will be nit-picked by some of the fellow members) was needed to get to what is going on these days, events I personally consider a comedy, a political mockery that can easily turn to tragedy. These days, the unions are doing all they can to recall the governor and change the ruling on union membership fees. Unions know if the ruling of “optional dues” expands into other states – it would be devastating to AFL-CIO and other unions across the country as well as the Democrat Party which is on the receiving end of a ton of donations made to them by the unions. The democrats also receive a lot of “muscle power” from the unions – an example of which I witnessed just a couple of weeks ago when upon coming down here to FLORIDA, the governor of WISCONSIN encountered protests by some 20-30 AFL-CIO members demanding his recall…..lol.
Also part of my fascination with the whole thing is the total “silence treatment” major TV news sources in USA have given to the important events of Wisconsin – this is especially interesting, because Fox News as well as others on the right are doing the same. Maybe it is because they have to consistently feed us irrelevant segments about the British Royal Family, Whitney Houston drug abuse,……..

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
Instead of paying union fees, now the workers have options to invest on 401K type plans.....
But do your own search - I don't know all the details - all I know is that most employees in Wisconsin decided to go with it.