LEARN PERSIAN

mlka

Ball Boy
Sep 13, 2005
Guys,

I am a total beginner and am looking for a good "learn persian" book.

Seen a few on Amazon but not sure which one to go for.

Any recommmendations?

Cheers!

Afiveh

Ball Boy
Jun 15, 2006
Conversational Farsi (Persian): Learn to Speak and Understand Farsi (Persian) with Pimsleur Language Programs (Simon & Schuster's Pimsleur) [AUDIOBOOK] [UNABRIDGED] (Audio CD)

search it in Amazon.com

liverpool

Bench Warmer
Jul 28, 2006
U.S.
;)
its like saying i wana learn American instead of English ;)
hahaha... well, two or three decades ago, our contry's name was Persia, so, no one would have said, I wanna learn Farsi. Maybe that is the point. I think they are still the same thing, cause when I filled out a lot of forms, they had either Farsi or Persian as one of their choices which means they are the same. I'm not sure if dpour meant anything else.

mashtnaghi

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
The tapes will teach you the formal language, what is used in the news, and even there not completely. That is not how we speak, but how we write. If you learn the formal one people will laugh at you. Most major universities have a Persian language program. I encourage you to attend those, and practice what you learn with native speakers as you are learning the formal language.

sirabi

News Team
Sep 19, 2005
but i would try to learn farsi if i was you, not persian.
this will probably start this whole debate again but the correct thing to actually say is persian when speaking english, not farsi. Do you say I speak espangol when you speak English or do you say I speak spanish?

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
balam jAn,

the language is called Persian in English, not Farsi, which is the same thing, the Latin translation of Parsi or Farsi = Persian

Farsi is the arabicized form of Parsi, due to a lack of the /p/ phoneme in Standard Arabic. now you can chose to call it Parsi, or Farsi when you are talking to Iranians, but when you speak in English, Persian is still used since they didnt get invaded.

dpour

Ball Boy
Oct 22, 2006
LOL Academy of Persian Language. I wonder whether they would pick farsi or Persian hmm. Wait a second if they picked farsi they would have to change the name of their organization.

houman

Bench Warmer
Oct 14, 2004
Dallas, TX
LOL Academy of Persian Language. I wonder whether they would pick farsi or Persian hmm. Wait a second if they picked farsi they would have to change the name of their organization.
Obviously Persian is the correct usage, and hence the name of the organization, established back in 1935. Here's a bit more about the organization from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_of_Persian_Language_and_Literature

There are more articles on the matter at the bottom of that wiki entry.