Learning about the world through photography

alila

National Team Player
Jun 9, 2006
a galaxy far far away
thank you all for the help. yes im thinking of doing this as a hobby not as a profession. my budget is about 400 $. once again thanks for the help
go for cheaper hobby dude. jk

well in that case go for NIKON D40 . not the D40X.
NIKON D40 comes with a zoom lens and its $470. I think that extra $70 worth spending.
chak

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
I have lots of friends into professional photography and I personally always liked it too in a way, but I never really thought about it. However, recently someone actually commented on some pictures of mine on flickr and one of my pictures was actually chosen for an online-touristguide of Rome, so I thought that maybe I have some talent somewhere :).
I want to pick it up as a real hobby for the future and thought about buying an SLR digital camera. I'm in between Canon D400 and Nikon D40...so anyone up with experience and idea??

Btw. this is the one golden-shot of mine...I guess they picked it because not too many other people did a photo of this..hehehehee

http://www.schmap.com/rome/shopping_prati/#p=9059&i=9059.jpg
(click on castroni..)

Attachments

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
oh niice picture! :)
I love photographry too, but never persued it professionally. It all goes down to good vision and technique I guess..

yeah as Shahed said Asus is the right man to ask. :)

Asus

Bench Warmer
Jul 24, 2004
Montreal Canada
In my opinion for the gear I'd go Canon primarly because of their lenses. I have the 350d which is decent but unfortunatly I didnt hear that many great things about the 400d, apparently not a huge improvement. the new 450d however seems to be a big step up since it has the DIGIC III processor. In my opinion though depending on your budget spend more towards your lens. Even if it means getting the older 350d. The two normal zoom lenses I would suggest are the Canon EFS 17-55mm f2.8 IS (more expensive but very good) or the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. and if you want to do landscapes the Canon EF-S 10-22mm is the one you want.

My other suggestion is to start looking into ART websites for inpiration and new ideas, My favorite is deviantart. Another great camera website/forum that you could get a lot of help is Pixalo.com

By the way, i'm in no way a professional but I've basically researched all canon lenses so if you need some help for lens choices I could help you more.

westwienmaskulin

Oct 18, 2002
thanks man. Yeah, I have heard too, that maybe the most important thing would be a good investment in a good lens. A friend of mine had the 400d but brought it back after some time. My budget would/should be around 500 Euros/800 USD. I don't want to pay too much in the beginning because I don't think that it makes that much sense. We have a Powershot G5 at home which I use for some time now, which is pretty good for trying some stuff out, but obviously it's not a SLR.
I also just figured out that with 800 USD I can buy in the US stuff that is worth 800 Euros at least here.

I will look at the sites...thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited:

Amirrr

Bench Warmer
Jun 8, 2005
Toronto
you should get an SLR camera..

These are the good options:
Canon EOS 400D (I'm saving money to get this one)
Canon EOS 350D
Nikon D80

And for the lens The 55-200mm lens is quite basic, nothing even close to professional, but probably would be enough in the beginning. But if you're serious about photography and can afford, something like 70-200mm f4 would be far better choice.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/6222/Digital_Cameras_SLR_Digital_Cameras.html

good luck bro

Sepahan

Bench Warmer
Jan 4, 2003
I have been using Nikon for long time and highly recommend Nikon equipment. I do not have anything against Canon, never used one. As Asus said spend your money on good lens, but it all depend how serious you will pursue photography. The Canon G5 that you currently own is pretty good camera, fast lens 35-135 mm lenses. The advantage of SLR is ability to change lenses and shoot fast action shots. Other than that your G5 is very capable camera. Your vision and imagination is the most important thing, SLR or non SLR is all secondary.
What type of photography you are interested in?

westwienmaskulin

Oct 18, 2002
I have been using Nikon for long time and highly recommend Nikon equipment. I do not have anything against Canon, never used one. As Asus said spend your money on good lens, but it all depend how serious you will pursue photography. The Canon G5 that you currently own is pretty good camera, fast lens 35-135 mm lenses. The advantage of SLR is ability to change lenses and shoot fast action shots. Other than that your G5 is very capable camera. Your vision and imagination is the most important thing, SLR or non SLR is all secondary.
What type of photography you are interested in?
Yes, G5 is actually quite good, but it belongs to my dad, just that he doesn't use it and doesn't know how to use it :) and since I'm going to live on my own and everything, I wanted my own (decent) thing.

How serious?? Well, let's say I want to pursue it as a "serious" hobby..like I don't know, how other people go and paint or whatever. Just for fun and as a way to relax and appreciate life around you...and to learn/get into some type of art.

I'm most interested in outdoor, documentary and aerial photography. I wouldn't say no to a Playboy shooting though...hehehehee..

Sepahan

Bench Warmer
Jan 4, 2003
Well then welcome to photography. Just to give you heads up, if it happened that you like it then expect to spend lots of $$$. Now days with digital camera, it is not as expensive as it uses to be. The advantage of digital camera is fast learning curve.
For outdoor photography (nature and cityscape) you need wide angle lens and sturdy tripod. For documentary you will need a wide to mid range telephoto lens. If you are going to do street photography or portrait get a mid range telephoto (100-200 mm), if you can afford VR lenses go for them. For aerial photography you need an airplane, VR lenses will be good investment. For playboy photo shoot, you have to give me a call and I will teach you how to do that.:cheers:

PJ

IPL Player
Oct 18, 2002
Well then welcome to photography. Just to give you heads up, if it happened that you like it then expect to spend lots of $$$. Now days with digital camera, it is not as expensive as it uses to be. The advantage of digital camera is fast learning curve.
For outdoor photography (nature and cityscape) you need wide angle lens and sturdy tripod. For documentary you will need a wide to mid range telephoto lens. If you are going to do street photography or portrait get a mid range telephoto (100-200 mm), if you can afford VR lenses go for them. For aerial photography you need an airplane, VR lenses will be good investment. For playboy photo shoot, you have to give me a call and I will teach you how to do that.:cheers:
I second that. Even though I am not an expert in other kinds of photography, I think I am an expert in that. But again, I am not the only one on this site!!!

alila

National Team Player
Jun 9, 2006
a galaxy far far away
sharmande ke rabti be topic nadare vali man hanooz ba hamoon CANON F1 sale 1978 VA nikon fm2 khodam kheiliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii bishtar az hame digital ha hal mikonam :)

kase diige inja jast ke Conventional camera dade bashe? hamoon 135 haye ghadimi va tamam felezi?? in canon f1 man be andaze yek tank t 72 sanginne lol

westwienmaskulin

Oct 18, 2002
hehehhee....well, for now I guess I will go for a mid range or something. Thanks for the tips...and of course, if I get to a playboy shooting, you will be the first I will call. hehehehee..

Sepahan

Bench Warmer
Jan 4, 2003
sharmande ke rabti be topic nadare vali man hanooz ba hamoon CANON F1 sale 1978 VA nikon fm2 khodam kheiliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii bishtar az hame digital ha hal mikonam :)

kase diige inja jast ke Conventional camera dade bashe? hamoon 135 haye ghadimi va tamam felezi?? in canon f1 man be andaze yek tank t 72 sanginne lol

I agree with you, I almost bought an FM2 couple of years ago; I went bigger to medium format. Digital photography makes life very easy, maybe to easy.

alila

National Team Player
Jun 9, 2006
a galaxy far far away
I agree with you, I almost bought an FM2 couple of years ago; I went bigger to medium format. Digital photography makes life very easy, maybe to easy.
FM2 yeki az behtarin noorsanj haye to bazar ro dare. vaghean harf nadare in doorbin. be nazare man agar kasi mikhad akasi yad begire aval bayad chand sali ba format ghadimi va 135 aks begire badesh bere soraghe 120 va bad az hame inha biad ba digital akasi kone taze digital ham darim ta digital.
man az ina mikham vali gheimat in doorbin bakhsh ghabele tavajohi az hoghooghe saliyane mane :(

£15000 ahmaghane hast be khodaaaaaa. :bluehitred:
http://www.hasselblad.co.uk/