Lets calm down everyone...

Sabzi

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
...and try to take an objective look after this heartbreak.

This is the first time in years that a simple football game has made me feel very bad. But I am trying to be as objective as I am:

Facts

1. I was very worried before the game and unfortunately was proven right. I cant believe some of the predictions here (especially 5-1). When was the last time Iran scored so many goals against a half decent Asian team??
People were overconfident.

2. Iran played like they played in 1997. Horrible defence and no connection from defense to offense whatsoever. The only difference is that we had Daei, Bagheri, Azizi and an emerging Kia at that time who were our golden players and today we have a mistake-prone Kia, a ghost Hashemian and a player called Shojaei, who thinks that he can win the game without running and hustling.

3. Rezaei, Khalatbari and all other new players are ok by Iranian domestic standards but I am sorry to say the they blow on the international level. Have to say that Khalatbari was ok today, but again, nothing special.

4. Nekounams form is not good at all. There was, AGAIN, a big big hole in the midfield every time Saudis attacked. This is not the Nekounam of before his injury. His only asset right now is his nose for goals but apart from that he is far away from his best.

5. People always make fun of Ost Assadi and alikes but I think that Hosseini and even Aghili are not any better than him. In a country of 70 million football crazy people all we can find are two tall, SLOW AS HELL, players who dont have a clue about how to open a game?? I just cant believe that. I dont follow IPL but there MUST be other players.

6. Hashemian with 32 right now is worse than Daei was at 37. Thats why he hardly ever plays for his club. I think I dont have to say anything more.

7. Kaabi is half the player he used to be. Why? Nobody knows. But he shouldnt be playing in TM anymore.

I think that Iran is out. I dont see them winning in Korea against any of them and UAE will gift three points to Saudis in the next game.

To be honest, its not the fact that Iran wont go to the WC that hurts, its that they lost to the Saudis. And to a very weak Saudi team.

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
4. Nekounams form is not good at all. There was, AGAIN, a big big hole in the midfield every time Saudis attacked. This is not the Nekounam of before his injury. His only asset right now is his nose for goals but apart from that he is far away from his best.
et tu Brute?

Look, Nekounam had 2 choices...either leave a gap to the defense or a gap to the attack. You are blaming the wrong part of the team for the gap.

5. People always make fun of Ost Assadi and alikes but I think that Hosseini and even Aghili are not any better than him. In a country of 70 million football crazy people all we can find are two tall, SLOW AS HELL, players who dont have a clue about how to open a game?? I just cant believe that. I dont follow IPL but there MUST be other players.
So how do you still blame it on nekounam then?

6. Hashemian with 32 right now is worse than Daei was at 37. Thats why he hardly ever plays for his club. I think I dont have to say anything more.
What's your point? Hashemian at 32 is still better than the other options..

Sabzi

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
et tu Brute?

Look, Nekounam had 2 choices...either leave a gap to the defense or a gap to the attack. You are blaming the wrong part of the team for the gap.

So how do you still blame it on nekounam then?

What's your point? Hashemian at 32 is still better than the other options..
so who do you think is to blame for the whole? at one point in the second half (at the beginning) there were TWO saudi players right together in the central area before our goal area waiting for a pass and nowhere to be seen an Iranian player. Where do you think a defensive mid should be playing?? Seriously, thats Nekounams area, thats the room he has to cover, thats the room he is has to steal from the Saudis and he didnt accomplish.

And not, Hashemian at 32 is not the best option. Its like saying Daei at 37 was the best option for our team which he wasnt either. At least Daei always took one or two defenders on him because of his reputation while I cant say the same about Hash. I like him, but he should retire.

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
so who do you think is to blame for the whole? at one point in the second half (at the beginning) there were TWO saudi players right together in the central area before our goal area waiting for a pass and nowhere to be seen an Iranian player. Where do you think a defensive mid should be playing?? Seriously, thats Nekounams area, thats the room he has to cover, thats the room he is has to steal from the Saudis and he didnt accomplish.
we played with 2 DMs from what I know and Nekounam took a hell of a lot of the work for the offense and playmaking. Again, if the defenders would and could play a bit higher up the pitch, there would be no huge gap. Besides, it would have been as well Kazemi's area but Nekounam either could have played next to the defense, which would have put him around 20 meters inside our own half and we wouldn't have done jack in offense or he did what he did today.

And not, Hashemian at 32 is not the best option. Its like saying Daei at 37 was the best option for our team which he wasnt either. At least Daei always took one or two defenders on him because of his reputation while I cant say the same about Hash. I like him, but he should retire.
the point is that Hashemian did not play today, or at least not for the most part. But if you look at Shojaei's goal, you have two defenders sticking to Hash and no player marking Shojaei, which is the same as "Daei takes two defenders out".

Sabzi

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
we played with 2 DMs from what I know and Nekounam took a hell of a lot of the work for the offense and playmaking. Again, if the defenders would and could play a bit higher up the pitch, there would be no huge gap. Besides, it would have been as well Kazemi's area but Nekounam either could have played next to the defense, which would have put him around 20 meters inside our own half and we wouldn't have done jack in offense or he did what he did today.

the point is that Hashemian did not play today, or at least not for the most part. But if you look at Shojaei's goal, you have two defenders sticking to Hash and no player marking Shojaei, which is the same as "Daei takes two defenders out".
lets just agree to disagree. But Saudis had it too easy when counter-attacking. Honestly, this might be the first time I am saying this, but: I dont want Iran in the WC because they would embarass us. Today they disappointed a whole nation by their arkward display and it wont get any better in one year.