Liverpool confirm bid for Gerrard

Oct 11, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Reuters

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry has confirmed Chelsea has made a British record £32million ($A75million) bid for Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard.

"I can confirm we have had a bid from Chelsea and that it will be rejected by us," Parry told BBC Sport.

The offer from the Premier League champions to prise the inspirational England midfielder away from his hometown club could rise to £34million ($A80million) depending on future honours.

That would eclipse the £29.1million ($A68million) Manchester United paid to Leeds United for England defender Rio Ferdinand in 2002.

Real Madrid is also rumoured to be waiting in the wings.

Liverpool is reported to have responded to a breakdown in talks with Gerrard over the weekend by offering him a two-year contract extension to 2009 on £100,000 ($A235,000) a week.

This belatedly matches the package Gerrard was said to be looking for when contract negotiations opened last Wednesday.

The 25-year-old is thinking over the proposal made at the club's Melwood training ground after the club held talks with Gerrard and his agent Struan Marshall on Monday.

Liverpool chairman David Moores and chief executive Rick Parry were reported to have left a scheduled board meeting at Anfield to join manager Rafael Benitez at the training ground.

They met Gerrard and his representative after the players' second training session to try to persuade him to stay at Liverpool, who he led to Champions League success in May.

Gerrard was tight-lipped as he left Melwood on Monday after discussions with Benitez, who earlier told a news conference he wanted the midfielder to stay for the rest of his career and also said the player should become Liverpool's next manager.

The uncertainty surrounding Gerrard's future comes as the club start preparing to face Welsh part-timers TNS in their Champions League first round qualifier on July 13.

halftime

Bench Warmer
Nov 24, 2004
Make poverty history on the front page and a £30m+ throwaway bid on the back.......Apparently he's turned down £100,000 PER WEEK at Liverpool. No player is bigger than the club, imagine rejecting 100 grand a week, what a didy.

Go Iran

Oct 11, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Bache Tehroon(ISP) said:
Holy crap! U$234,000/week!!!!! The f***er could buy a house every week! Damn... Does anyone have Steven's address? I'll go sit by his door until he gives me some money.
lol, west is right, the article says $235,000 aussie dollars (damn weak aussie dollar, have to pay monstor load to go to the WC) ..............

but if i were u, i would still find his address :D :D

ibrahim

Bench Warmer
Oct 20, 2002
Sydney
just heard on the radio that he has rejected the offer and has informed Liverpool of his desire to leave Anfield. what a fcukhead

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
seems like Chelsea that is. bache porru..:rolleyes:

Gerrard demands Liverpool exit
Soccernet

Liverpool claim captain Steven Gerrard wants to leave the club after refusing to sign a lucrative new contract.. Gerrard's agent Struan Marshall contacted Reds' chief executive Rick Parry this lunchtime to inform him the £100,000-a-week offer made to the England international on Monday night was not enough to persuade him to stay.

While it is not thought Gerrard has put in an official transfer request, Parry has taken the snub as a sign of his desire to leave Anfield, with Chelsea lining up a fresh bid after their initial British record £32million offer for the 25-year-old was rejected last night.

'The club has made it crystal clear we want to keep Steven at Anfield,' said a Liverpool official.

'Sadly, he has told us this afternoon that he will not accept our offer of an improved and extended contract because he wants to leave Liverpool.

'We very much regret the decision that has been taken.'

At a hastily-convened meeting at Liverpool's Melwood training base last night, Parry followed up manager Rafael Benitez's earlier comments that he wanted Gerrard to stay with the club 'for the rest of his life' by attempting to make him the highest-paid player in Reds history.

Gerrard slept on his decision overnight, then turned up for training on Tuesday morning, although by then the die had presumably been cast.

In a statement Gerrard explained: 'The last six weeks have been the toughest of my life.'

'The decision I have come to has been the hardest decision I have ever had to make,' he told Sky Sports.

'I fully intended to sign a new contract after the Champions League final but the events of the past five or six weeks have changed all that.

'I have too much respect for the club and the people at it to get involved in a slanging match.'

The word from Anfield is that they will not allow Gerrard to leave until he has submitted a formal transfer request, although given the hardening of attitudes, and Chelsea's obvious desire to sign him, such a move appears to be just a matter of time.

So far, Chelsea have refused to enter any public debate on Gerrard other than to confirm they had made a bid.

The Premiership champions said: 'Following comments from Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry this morning, Chelsea can confirm that the club has made an offer to Liverpool for the transfer of Steven Gerrard.'

'The terms of that offer are confidential.'

Real Madrid have also confirmed their interest and with fellow Englishmen David Beckham, Michael Owen and Jonathan Woodgate already at the Bernabeu, a switch to Spain cannot be ruled out.

Although Real's director of football Arrigo Sacchi said on Monday: 'Until the player makes a move we are not going to be involved in a fight for his services.'

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has been an admirer of the Gerrard and a cheeky approach from Manchester United can not be ruled out. United are armed with a more flexible transfer budget than previously thought following the glazer takeover.

However, Ferguson does know the odds on any player leaving Liverpool for United are high, let alone one with Gerrard's Anfield pedigree.

This all places Jose Mourinho as firm favourite to add Gerrard to a dream midfield which already includes Claude Makelele and Frank Lampard.

Backed by Roman Abramovich's seemingly limitless funds, Mourinho could break the £40million barrier to land Gerrard, shattering the previous highest deal between two English clubs, the £29.1million Manchester United paid Leeds for Rio Ferdinand in 2002.

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
Real Madrid said:
Bottom Line,

Gerard same s*** as Ballack, both fat ass overrated ...the absecnce of each don't make any difference ....

End of Story ....
there's a difference..

ballack takes responsibility when it matters, ballack has a better shot, ballack is a leader, ballacks shots and passes are much more accurate, ballack is germany's best midfield and only world class player. ;)

really...I wouldn't mind gerrard to real but in exchange ballack to barca. he is one of few players I would love at barca, not that we need him.

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
Real Madrid said:
based on what??? I could never understand his game ... you want him in Barca???? Are you Nuts Pesar???? think twice bro .... Deci+ Ronaldinho+Ballack :confused:
What a crap Combination
---beletti------puyol---marquez----cole----
-------xavi-----ballack-----deco----
-----giuly-------eto'o-----ronaldinho---

man....that would be irresistible!!!! he would feel great at barca..

world class based on everything i mentioned..plus his teamwork, plus putting his money where his mouth is, his heading, everything..

really...I LOVE ballack. I have never ever liked a german player as much as I like him.

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser
westwienmaskulin said:
---beletti------puyol---marquez----cole----
-------xavi-----ballack-----deco----
-----giuly-------eto'o-----ronaldinho---

man....that would be irresistible!!!! he would feel great at barca..

world class based on everything i mentioned..plus his teamwork, plus putting his money where his mouth is, his heading, everything..

really...I LOVE ballack. I have never ever liked a german player as much as I like him.
I agree. Ballack would be quite useful for Barca and the system we play. Ballack is the perfect link for defense to offense transition.

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser
there were some strong rumors of him joining barca last summer but unfortunately nothing reliable this year+we got Van Bommel so that's the end of that. I'm worried about Bommel I think he's too attack minded. We'll see how that goes.