Looking at Argentinas Result the past few games.....

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Dream final: Deutschland against Netherlands.
Falk the cheaters Argies and lucky samba boys.
Deutschland has their work cut out for them not only they need to get past a powerful France team, they will face the winner of Columbia and Brazil. Either team they face that is a daunting task you need to get by two powerhouse teams. I hope they can do it and that would be a good finals but we shall see. That's why we play the game. This is usually where Deutschland screws up in the elite 8 or final four. I hope this year is different, I really do.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
LOOOL@ trying to act like you know something! All the Brazilian players you mentioned here above have sucked big time!!!
Oh yeah sorry, totally forgot Higuain, Aguero and Palacio are 1,2 and 3 in the scoring charts. Look, Trollosly, you realize that Aguero is injured, hasn't played at all, not scored etc. don't you? You do realize that Higuain is 3kg overweight at least, don't you? You do realize that Palacio is 34, don't you? No?

And the reason Oscar and Willian "suck" is because Scolari plays the most defensive type of football of all coaches at the world cup. There has hardly ever been a Brazilian team playing that withdrawn.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
I still think France have a great chance of reaching the final. They are better than both Germany and Brazil. I do think though that a South American team will end up winning the WC. So it's going to have to be Argentina.

Feb 15, 2006
Copenhagen-Denmark
History repeats itself after 28 years. I wonder if Messi can do it?
Argentina and Maradona also met then Belgium at WC86, but in the semi-finals.
Belgium knew how Maradona had destroyed England with 2 goals in the former round, therefore, Belgium was 100% focused on closing down Maradona. But .... They could not .....
Maradona acknowledged once again with 2 goals vs Jean Marie Pfaff which was one of the world's best keeper at the time,
first with a classic Kun Aguero "cat's paw" and then his solo 2nd goal, which is very similar to Messi 2014 just done 28 years ago, which makes Maradona so unique and so far ahead of its time.
One thing has puzzled us for 28 years. After goal number two, WHY ISN’T HE FALLING? How can he keep his balance after the push and twist? World class.
I wonder if Messi can step in Maradonas shoes on Saturday once again against another Belguim world class keeper Courtois?

[video=dailymotion;x20qk4k]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20qk4k_arg-2-0-bel-wc86-mexico-maradona-goals_sport[/video]

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
IMHO there is no clear favorite at this time and it’s really anyone’s cup if they step it up a notch. As we saw in the round of 16 from the 8 games played 5 went into OT and from that 2 to penalties. That’s about 62.5% of a game ending in Extra Time. With that being said I believe all the following games will be close and there will no wins with large margins. Messi has personally carried Argentina for 4 games now and has won them every single game with his effort and either by scoring or making the assist to win the game. If you look at it form an individual stand point and bringing victory to his team he has been the top player with this performance so far. If he can carry this team to win the WC which is less superior than then 1986 Maradona team his will have a grand place in the greatest of all time.

All teams are very close and will fight it to the end as we all know. How Chile almost took out Brazil can be repeated by Colombia and they can proceed to go through if they keep their current form. They are known to fold in the later stages and important games so their endurance and will is yet to be tested but they have the wonder kid on their side. Brazil has a number of stars but they are not dominant like the Brazil of the past and they are not a full team. Too much depended on Neymar who has carried his team but nowhere near what Messi has done. In my opinion Brazil has been more Shaky than Argentina so far. In all the games I think Netherlands have the easiest draw but Costa Rica has been at great form even though they were not really impressive against Greece except their goalie. Robben is another in top form player who can take his team deep in the playoffs.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Look...let's put it this way

We have witnessed over the past 6 years week in week out the world's greatest player of all time, the guy who wasn't Pele and Maradona every 4 years but every 3 days, play football and kill it, make us enjoy football, etc. etc. etc.

IF there's any justice in the world, he will win the World Cup and be finally unanimously considered the greatest player of all time. Please spare me anything about dayoos Pele or Maradona on this one. There's only one true God and he goes by the name of Lionel Andres Messi, his father is called Jorge, and his son is called Thiago. Forget everything and everyone else. It would be a travesty if anyone ever could consider a second rate great like Zidane better than Messi. There's Messi, Messi and then there's Messi and there's no one else but Messi. Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's. The World Cup has to be his, otherwise football is the biggest travesty of all time.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
Zidane is not a second rate player BTW, I just let this go because I know you exaggerated. But of course Zidane can not come close to this guy in terms of greatness.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Zidane is not a second rate player BTW, I just let this go because I know you exaggerated. But of course Zidane can not come close to this guy in terms of greatness.
2nd rate great...obviously he's top10/top20 all time but his best tournament was probably Euro 2000 and that's it

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
2nd rate great...obviously he's top10/top20 all time but his best tournament was probably Euro 2000 and that's it
Yeah! but his Serie A performances were phenomenal. Also he was great in 98 but that team was great all around and it wasn't all Zidane specially when he got sent off. He also did that twice with Juve in CL. However you damn know I don't put too much emphasis on international tournaments as much as league games. Maybe CL has become the most important tournament and his short fuses cost Juve in CL but he managed to get it finally at RM.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002

We have witnessed over the past 6 years week in week out the world's greatest player of all time, the guy who wasn't Pele and Maradona every 4 years but every 3 days, play football and kill it, make us enjoy football, etc. etc. etc.

IF there's any justice in the world, he will win the World Cup and be finally unanimously considered the greatest player of all time. Please spare me anything about dayoos Pele or Maradona on this one. There's only one true God and he goes by the name of Lionel Andres Messi, his father is called Jorge, and his son is called Thiago. Forget everything and everyone else. It would be a travesty if anyone ever could consider a second rate great like Zidane better than Messi. There's Messi, Messi and then there's Messi and there's no one else but Messi. Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's. The World Cup has to be his, otherwise football is the biggest travesty of all time.
LMAO!!!! Let Messi win a WC for Argentina after almost 30 years! but when he has won not just 2 but 3 WCs, then we can talk about whether he can even be compared to the god of football Pele or not! :D Till then.... keep having fun boy!

Ps. At this moment, even Zidane is better than Messi in that department. So if Zidane is second rate great then Messi is third! :D

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Yeah! but his Serie A performances were phenomenal. Also he was great in 98 but that team was great all around and it wasn't all Zidane specially when he got sent off. He also did that twice with Juve in CL. However you damn know I don't put too much emphasis on international tournaments as much as league games. Maybe CL has become the most important tournament and his short fuses cost Juve in CL but he managed to get it finally at RM.
Yeah we broke this down before, France essentially made it to the semifinals without anything from Zidane. I don't think that Argentina would have made it out of the group stages without Messi.

And as you say, CL is the pinnacle of football and league games tell us most about a player's week in week out desire. No one has been there better than him over that period of time. I mean, we have to agree, what the guy did over the last 6 years week in week out was ridiculous.

Feb 15, 2006
Copenhagen-Denmark

I also want Messi to win this one as much as you do, as it must be his best/last call as contender.
Having said that, its all matter of opinions. I recall Maradona being Maradona 365 in Barca, and in Napoli, and not only shining at WCs.
I totaly undrestand you consider Messi as THE God of football, but for me, who have seen Maradona shine from 82 til 90, Messi is not the first genius.

During 8 years war where Iran Tv only had rozeh, rish o pashm, the only positiv thing was Watching 82 and 86 on TV.
I watched half of the World cup 86 in bunkers in Tehran, due to air attack. 12 years old kid, surley Maradona stole my Heart.
now in 2014, there is no war, I live in Europe and Watch even crappy Danish 2nd division live on tv, surley even if Argentina wins it, it won't have the same impact, as Grande Diegos 86.
Therfore... for me... Diego is the God, and Messi is the reminder of what Gods look like!

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
In my book Pele is vastly overrated as the world's best ever. He was not even best in his own team. Or maybe he would have left better impression if he had his mouth shot or had a brain over his mouth. Players like Zidan or Platini, etc were a joy to watch, but come on guys, they were not even in the class of Cruyff or Van Bosten To be fair, it comes down to Maradona vs. Messi.

A year or two ago, I was convinced it was Diego, but now I think it is a really close call. Messi appears to me to do better in close space, he needs less room to go through players, and he can take better advantage of that fraction of second to shoot a long distance. Diego obviously was more crafty, and although he was small, he was more physical in carrying the ball and in his attitude. With his moves, the whole team had the chance to coordinate with him. I think Messi is more unpredictable even for his own men.
The fact we need to consider is attacking in 80s was far more dangerous and closer to impossible than today with all horrible tackles from behind etc going on. Imagine what a team like Iran could do to Argentina and Messi if they were allowed to waste the time like 80s, and if they could butcher Messi without much fear for reds and yellows.
It is a wash right now, but Messi has good few years to add to his resume while Diego chose Cocaine, Italian sluts, and Castro in his late 20s.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
I also want Messi to win this one as much as you do, as it must be his best/last call as contender.
Having said that, its all matter of opinions. I recall Maradona being Maradona 365 in Barca, and in Napoli, and not only shining at WCs.
I totaly undrestand you consider Messi as THE God of football, but for me, who have seen Maradona shine from 82 til 90, Messi is not the first genius.

During 8 years war where Iran Tv only had rozeh, rish o pashm, the only positiv thing was Watching 82 and 86 on TV.
I watched half of the World cup 86 in bunkers in Tehran, due to air attack. 12 years old kid, surley Maradona stole my Heart.
now in 2014, there is no war, I live in Europe and Watch even crappy Danish 2nd division live on tv, surley even if Argentina wins it, it won't have the same impact, as Grande Diegos 86.
Therfore... for me... Diego is the God, and Messi is the reminder of what Gods look like!
dude...you watched every week Serie A in Iran?