Mega signings by Big Sam!

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
babak they are a big club.. as in they have a huge fan base and a lot of money and the right infrastructure.. the only question is why can't they get the results that they should be.. and i think it's because they keep buying all the wrong players.. i miss the newcastle with ginola, asprilla etc..

Nov 29, 2002
I dont care for newcastle but by the traditional definition of big they are a very big club - and in my opinion are the 5th biggest in the country

They have a big fanbase - probably amongst the top 5-7 clubs in england in terms of people who support them.
they are pretty wealthy
they have a big reputation
they have a big cache for players to move there. would owen or martins, prior to moving there, be seen at man city? or west ham? no way. players respect newcastle, they can attract players at their prime. whether they do well there appears to be another issue

If you'd ask me which are the "biggest" clubs in england at the moment and which can hence attract the best players - you'd have:

1-4) the big 4 (liverpool, chelsea, manchester united, arsenal)
5) newcastle
6) tottenham
- the others

Babak G

News Team, ISP Managers Team
Feb 13, 2003
Parts Unknown
Sorry but if you want to define big that way then Aston Villa are a WAY bigger club with way more honors than Newcastle. Everton possibly are too.

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Again another misleading title! ISP is fast becoming PFDC!
Neither player has signed yet!

Both will probably sign but its nowhere near definate yet! In Dukes case, he is courting 4 other offers. He is likely to go to Newcastle as he's reluctant to move from the Northeast. He's a very good player but I don't call him "big" in football terms. Have a look at his records and you will see his best returns has always coincided with his contract running out! He's very injury prone and has a bitch of a temper!

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Sorry but if you want to define big that way then Aston Villa are a WAY bigger club with way more honors than Newcastle. Everton possibly are too.
Possibly????
Damet garm for mentioning them anyway. Arsenal "conveniently" left them out. Guess he's still sore after Handy Andy's last minute effort!:kongfu:

Anyway as far as records go here's Everton's:

Top flight League titles: 9
Runners up: 7
FA Cup wins: 5
FA CUP runners up: 7
UEFA Cup Winners Cup: 1

120 years in the league and 116 years in Top Division! No other Club in the world has such a record (Although Arsenal never being relegated comes close)!

On top of all this they have one of the best youh systems in the world, which is a never ending product line!

Babak G

News Team, ISP Managers Team
Feb 13, 2003
Parts Unknown
Sporthead jaan,

First of all, this is a forum so we cant actually put censors on every title of thread. Someone put out a thread on this matter, calling it signings and mega. Well, yes its misleading but its not a news piece, so lets just cut it some slack! ;)

About the other matter, as a big fan of a "little" English club since 1992 when I was only 10, I can say I hate bandwagon fans, and I hate people with their little misperceptions of "reality". Newcastle big? WTH for? How many trophies did they even win in their history? And when were they? Success plays at least 50% of the story with a weight being given to past success and recent success.

Yes, Everton are a historically big club, I agree and much bigger than Newcastle ever were, and so are Aston Villa with Spurs to a lesser extent. You should listen to Brum fans. They think theyre big too cause they come from the second biggest city! What a joke.

Everton and Villa are historically big clubs but I dont consider them big by todays standards. In fact, in my eyes there are only 4 BIG clubs in England right now, if we want to be fair, with a few clubs with great pasts (kind of like sleeping giants) and then we have the Barcode Syndrome which makes Newcastle fans mislead themselves into thinking theyre a big club. Yes, they got money, yet they got a big stadium, yes, they have a big following, but they havent won jack for ages and even in their "prime" what did they win exactly? So many factors should be involved in labelling a club "big" and too many people think their team is big. Fools...

Nov 29, 2002
fan-wise, newcastle dominates the region. not many people support mackams - so that one of europe's largest cities (newcastle) and the majority of its peripheral area supporting one club. Whereas Aston Villa has to share with Birmingham and to some extent Albion and Wolves in the periphery.

Its no comparison - newcastle sweeps up its fanbase compared to its one rival whereas there are four teams vying for fans.

also, as i said in terms of the "cache" of the team - are you telling me that, for example, Diego - would sign for Aston Villa or Everton over Newcastle?

If you agree then fair play, i just think that the name newcastle these days means more than everton or aston villa.

everton might have more history, i didnt ever indicate otherwise, but everton has more history than chelsea. at the moment, newcastle is a "bigger" club.

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
fan-wise, newcastle dominates the region. not many people support mackams - so that one of europe's largest cities (newcastle) and the majority of its peripheral area supporting one club. Whereas Aston Villa has to share with Birmingham and to some extent Albion and Wolves in the periphery.

Its no comparison - newcastle sweeps up its fanbase compared to its one rival whereas there are four teams vying for fans.

also, as i said in terms of the "cache" of the team - are you telling me that, for example, Diego - would sign for Aston Villa or Everton over Newcastle?

If you agree then fair play, i just think that the name newcastle these days means more than everton or aston villa.

everton might have more history, i didnt ever indicate otherwise, but everton has more history than chelsea. at the moment, newcastle is a "bigger" club.
thanks for saving me the time..

eshghi

News Team
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, CA
Nilou,
Wrong again. It's not NewCastle either. It's all one word so no capital letter for the C. New Castle is two words and refers to a Castle that is New. Newcastle may come from teh latter but it's one word referring to a town.

And then people say you can't get educated on ISP :)
Educate me on teh meaning of teh please?!! ;) :) :)

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
And,this one just in on Magpies' latest efforts to beef up their defence.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=470509&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=3&title=Magpies+close+on+Rozehnal

Newcastle United look to be closing in on the capture of Paris Saint Germain defender David Rozehnal.

The Czech Republic stopper was a target of Borussia Dortmund, but as skysports.com first revealed last week - Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce stepped in with a bid for a player who he first admired during his time with Bolton.
Now Newcastle appear to be in the driving seat and the player's representatives feel a quick deal can be done, once the two clubs have agreed terms.
Pavel Zika revealed, one of Rozehnal's agents, that Newcastle had now made an approach to PSG.
"David's move is not clear yet, but the clubs have contacted each other," Zika told MF Dnes.
"If they reach an agreement, I am convinced that we will agree to for the player.
"In my opinion, everything is a matter of if just hours or days." Newcastle are very hot in the transfer market at the moment, with deals for Joey Barton, Mark Viduka and Tal Ben Haim all looking likely to be completed this week.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
Educate me on teh meaning of teh please?!! ;) :) :)
It's called a typo. Since your English is weak, I will explain!
A TYPO is caused by pressing the wrong button on the keyboard by mistake.

Simple, wasn't it? I hope you have learnt something today :15:

Nilou jaan, make that 9, premierships, some of which were back to back. Unlike some other teams of course that could never regain the title ;)
There was a chain of 3 in a row once!

Yet another lesson. I will have to start charging soon :)

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Viduka sealed the deal with Newcastle. told ya ISP isnt a tabloid site!

Behrooz jan,
Keep/count your trophies all you want, but title of "Invincibles" and national record of 49 unbeaten league matches is ours forever, and is written in history books!!!;)

Viduka signs for Magpies

AFP
June 7, 2007
LONDON (AFP) - Australian international striker Mark Viduka has completed his move from Middlesbrough to Newcastle after passing a medical on Thursday.
Viduka has signed a two-year contract, with the option of a third year, at the English Premiership side who are on the verge of a takeover. The 31-year-old arrives on a free transfer after rejecting a new contract offered by Middlesbrough.

I'm over the moon - the main thing that attracted me to the club was that it is moving in the right direction," Viduka told the club's website.

"Manager Sam Allardyce has come in and if we can get success then it will be something special."
Allardyce recently left Bolton for the Magpies, and Viduka admitted that proved a factor in his decision.
"I really wanted to hear what Sam's plans were for the new season and what players he was looking to bring in.
"And his answers matched with what I was thinking myself.
"I want to win things and Newcastle United is a club that has all the ingredients to do that, especially with Sam coming in."
Allardyce added: "We are getting a player with vast experience in Premiership football and a natural goalscorer.
"He has the size and stature to lead our front line and is direct competition for Shola Ameobi, who is fit again now.
"It is common knowledge that every manager in the game wants two players for every position, and that is what we will have at Newcastle United next season as far as our strikers are concerned.
"It is a great start for us as we already have Oba Martins and Michael Owen who can play off a big man. It is all looking very exciting."
Boro boss Gareth Southgate said he was disappointed to see Viduka leave the Teesside club.
"It is a regret for me, but we did everything we could as a club to try and keep him," he said.
"The fact that he was in the latter months of his contract was difficult. It meant he was able to speak to other people, but there was nothing more from that period on that we could have done." Premiership sides Portsmouth, West Ham and Birmingham were also linked to the Australian. Viduka was signed by Middlesbrough from Leeds in July 2004. He scored 19 goals for Boro in the 2006-2007

Ali(ISP)

Tottenham till I die
Oct 16, 2002
Southampton, UK
it seems like the only reason viduka turned down boro and joined newcastle is because the strips on newcastle's shirt dont make him look as fat as the ones on boro's shirt.

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
it seems like the only reason viduka turned down boro and joined newcastle is because the strips on newcastle's shirt dont make him look as fat as the ones on boro's shirt.
LOL!!!
and it looks like Big Sam just signed a gigantic companion for his pie eating sessions!!!:)

pretty good free transfer deal for Big Sam.it Looks like next season's Newcastle team could be going places. A takeover is on the way, acquiring good players , quality manager. they might need to fix up their defence if they want to shoot for Europe.Taylor is good,but they are looking for more defensive enhancement,and if they can keep the likes of Owen,Martins,Milner,Dyer AND manage to keep Barton from jail,then they can dream Euro spot next season.

Last edited:

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
Behrooz jan,
Keep/count your trophies all you want, but title of "Invincibles" and national record of 49 unbeaten league matches is ours forever, and is written in history books!!!
Nilou jan, 49 unbeaten league matches is great but it's not like you won an axtra trophy for it. I would much rather have our treble than your unbeaten run any day. Afterall, it's trophies that count. Trophies are the reason teams play football. Not unbeaten runs. I am sure if you ask Wenger or any other Arsenal player which they want, they'd tell you they rather have the European Cup even if it means losing the unbeaten run.

Sorry for the halgiri but it's the truth and you know it ;)