Messi

Messi, C.Ronaldo, Xavi Finalists of FIFA Ballon d'Or award. Who should win the Award?

• Lionel Messi

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Cristiano Ronaldo

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Xavi

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
Aug 26, 2005
IDM does have a bit of a point though. The English, even if they are patriotic are really divided. Take Carragher, he has stated that coming back was a one-time deal and that he cares more for Liverpool. If you talk to a merseysider and ask "win the league or win the WC", I'm pretty sure it won't be an easy choice.

Aug 26, 2005
motivation for WC was not there.
Bro, it was. He was captain and this possibly his last time to be in his prime and play in it. His form wasn't there, though, and he still did better than his teammates IMO. That England team is just a shambles.

ABall

Bench Warmer
Jun 15, 2006
whoknowwwws?
What joke this guy was! For years I tried to tell lajoka clowns that scoring in laliga means shit, its more worthless than scoring in IPL and not all the hollywooding in the world is gonna make it impressive.

:e now has proved that he was nothing but a star of a shit league with no real credentials in being called a superstar let alone a successor to great maradonna. As opposed to maradonna he has yet to show up for a big game in his entire life!

Don't any ISP clown here ever compare him to maradonna ever again!
So what can you say about Diego Forlan then who has dominated in both La Liga and in the World Cup? Or top scorer David Villa who has done the same?

Last edited:

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Well, in the past two tourneys even playing outside of his position he has been top scorer. If one player has an excuse of being wrongly used and his teammates wrongly picked, etc, it's Gerrard. They wasted him in his prime to accomodate Lampard.

But nobody is a bigger clutch player IMO. Scored in every kind of fuckin' final. And the Istanbul and Cardiff performances will be stuff of legend. Only modern player you can say carried his team to successes.
I'm trying my best to make him contradict himself.

but this is simply the point..if you want to measure a player's greatness on his performances for his national team, you keep losing.

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
motivation for WC was not there.

Nagoftam?

But seriously if a player doesn't care for NT then he should be man enough to reject the invitation to play for NT. Nothing wrong with that. You come out and say I am dedicated to Liverpool/MU/etc. and want to focus on my club rather than NT so thanks but no thanks. Once you doned the NT jersey digeh baghiash zereh moft zadaneh keh motivated naboodam va az in koso shera. Motivated naboodi goh khordi oomadi bazi koni. Gerrard (though the best player in this tournament for England), Rooney, Lampard, Terry, etc they all fucking sucked! No excuse for that.

Besides they cost me a lot in two pools I participated so it is personal too!

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2005
I'm trying my best to make him contradict himself.

but this is simply the point..if you want to measure a player's greatness on his performances for his national team, you keep losing.
Yeah, you're singing to the choir then because I agree. I thought you were making that point when you were basically saying the opposite for Messi.

Especially in this age where the leagues/CL are playing a much higher level of football. In the WC, teams that have played with each other for a while/have a system are probably better bets than teams with many better players. You get so few of those with the same combination, but Germany, Holland and Spain (I am not sure about Uruguay) have that down.

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
LOL! Do you want me to post tele pictures from their games back then?
Bilardo "invented" 3-5-2. With Maradona in the team, it was more 3-4-1-2 but anyway.

Is that enough?
http://200.49.144.146/index.php?opt...e-1983-1990&catid=210:mens-seniors&Itemid=287

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2008/nov/19/argentina-napoli

Or maybe you could tell us the system Argentina played back then. For sure it wasn't 4-4-2.

Oh yeah, really? So everyone you know missed a penalty here and there? Well, everyone I know had a bad game once or twice, or didn't work that well in a national team as he usually does for his club and every succesful team I know plays these days with 3 midfielders. Besides, I hadn't heard of a player yet to win it all at the age of 23, so why should Messi be whatever now because he failed to do so? Nevermind that Maradona at his age was sent off from the world cup.
Why is your logic only applicable to whatever you want to apply it? LOL!
4-3-1-2 to 3-5-2 to 3-5-1-1, you are all over the place to prove your point...

And now you are again to make a dust with your general statements. Go back to the sunject, it is not about Messi is not a great player, it is not about if he did poorly in one or all games, it is not about he can't ever win anything at the national level. It is only about that he did not show leadership in his first world cup, something Maradona did.

ABall

Bench Warmer
Jun 15, 2006
whoknowwwws?
Here is something for thought -- the top 11 scorers of this Cup are (according to league, so you can think twice before trashing)

1. David Villa (Spain - Valencia / Barcelona)
2. Gonzalo Higuaín (Spain - Real Madrid)
2. Thomas Müller (Germany - Bayern Munich)
2. Róbert Vittek (Turkey - Ankaragücü)
2. Miroslav Klose (Germany - Bayern Munich)
2. Wesley Sneijder (Italy - Internazionale)
7. Luís Fabiano (Spain - Sevilla)
7. Landon Donovan (USA - Los Angeles Galaxy / England - Everton)
7. Luis Suárez (Netherlands - Ajax)
7. Asamoah Gyan (France - Rennes)
7. Diego Forlan (Spain - Atlético Madrid)

Top Scorers Produced By League:

1.Spain's La Liga: 4
2.Germany's Bundesliga: 2
3.Turkey's SuperLig: 1
3.Italy's Serie A: 1
3.Netherlands' Eredivisie: 1
3.France's League 1: 1
7.United States' MLS: .5
7.England's Premier League: .5

This isn't to say that these leagues are as good as what they have produced...but the evidence does reflect something for those leagues which have an attacking flare as opposed to the more defensive or less talented leagues.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
4-3-1-2 to 3-5-2 to 3-5-1-1, you are all over the place to prove your point...
4-3-1-2 to 3-5-2 what? Dude, Bilardo says himself he invented 3-5-2. Yet you are here to argue something different. Maradona played the enganche, which means and he had 2 forwards in his team in Valdano and Burruchagga. Please tell me what the system was! I'm dieing to know!

And now you are again to make a dust with your general statements. Go back to the sunject, it is not about Messi is not a great player, it is not about if he did poorly in one or all games, it is not about he can't ever win anything at the national level. It is only about that he did not show leadership in his first world cup, something Maradona did.
Maradona's first world cup was in 1982 though and he showed there ANYTHING BUT leadership with a great Argentinian team that also featured Mario Kempes. Sorry Doc. I know you doctor guys from Melli are pretty confident of yourselves, but your numbers don't add up.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Yeah, you're singing to the choir then because I agree. I thought you were making that point when you were basically saying the opposite for Messi.

Especially in this age where the leagues/CL are playing a much higher level of football. In the WC, teams that have played with each other for a while/have a system are probably better bets than teams with many better players. You get so few of those with the same combination, but Germany, Holland and Spain (I am not sure about Uruguay) have that down.
Uruguay is the odd team out, but Netherlands rely on a huge block of former and current Ajax players, Germany have a lot of Bayern players in the team, plus guys who played together in the U-21 World Cup they won and Spain is basically Barca without Messi, 3 Real Madrid players and Torres. For some reasons Torres is the one player fitting in worst for many reasons, partly injury, partly style of play. This kind of says it all.

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
4-3-1-2 to 3-5-2 what? Dude, Bilardo says himself he invented 3-5-2. Yet you are here to argue something different. Maradona played the enganche, which means and he had 2 forwards in his team in Valdano and Burruchagga. Please tell me what the system was! I'm dieing to know!

Maradona's first world cup was in 1982 though and he showed there ANYTHING BUT leadership with a great Argentinian team that also featured Mario Kempes. Sorry Doc. I know you doctor guys from Melli are pretty confident of yourselves, but your numbers don't add up.
R u Westi???? :pray:

Jun 26, 2007
Dude, Bilardo says himself he invented 3-5-2.

بسم الله رحمان رحیم..

حرف، حرف جالبی نبود بزرگوار!
ببین بزرگوار، بیا سعی کنیم ذهن مردم رو روشن کنیم.

این من بودم که کل یوم در "روز فیفا دی" این سیستم رو با کمک و مشاوره آقا امام زمان کشف کردم.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Mahdi now you're questioning Tevez's performance in this World Cup?! Come on man!
I'm questioning the "Messi sucked but Tevez was great" logic.
Tevez had 1 great goal and 1 goal from offside, where he headed in a shot that was bound for goal by Messi.
Argentina played better without him against South Korea.
He didn't provide anything against Nigeria really.
Against germany, he missed a great chance, in offense intercepted the few through passes his team played and defensively didn't do his job. tactically, he was an overall mess. (running around doesn't mean you play good)

great tournament?? Really?? And Messi who was involved in 8 out of 10 Argetinians goals was a disappointment?

Just saying...

Sep 25, 2004
Toronto
Mahdi now you're questioning Tevez's performance in this World Cup?! Come on man!
he's not questioning it, he's just pointing out the unnecessary praise handed out to him..I kind of hold the same view on Tevez, while he is wonderful in pressing and regaining possession high up the field and has a decent hold-up play (although not necessary in Argentina's game plan), when his team have the ball, his tactical movement is not very intelligent. He does tend to drift out of position and into other players' territory which comes from a lack of tactical discipline.
I know all the hustling makes his game very attractive and passionate but you have to notice his deficiencies, a part of the reason he didn't cut it in Manchester United maybe (although there is some controversy surrounding that)...

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2002
IDM does have a bit of a point though. The English, even if they are patriotic are really divided. Take Carragher, he has stated that coming back was a one-time deal and that he cares more for Liverpool. If you talk to a merseysider and ask "win the league or win the WC", I'm pretty sure it won't be an easy choice.
agha, you know i like you but i have to react with this post which is rather ridiculous. I'm sorry but even on repeated reading I have to say these things, please don't get offended:

You have chosen the exception to the rule as being representative in some way

Firstly Carragher is a huge exception. I love the guy, and he is the only player who would choose club over country in the England set-up.

Gerrard would choose country over club. Fact. Speak to him. Other scousers equally so: Owen loves his country, Rooney has a fucking tattoo of England on his arm and can be seen on billboards around the country coloured in St George's cross. Dude, come on, imagine Puyol draped in spanish flag paint on a poster in Barcelona - he would be lynched!!

I mean come on, "if you talk to a merseysider". Agha you are saying this from the other side of the world. I was born and went to school there, I'm telling you out of all the scousers in the EPL or championship only Carragher would choose club over country

None of the others would. The English, even regionally speaking have no way near as much anti-establishment sentiment as spain (catalan, basque followed by all the other regions), or the french players who would choose "Droit Au But" over the blue shirt any day!

Last edited:

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
You have chosen the exception to the rule as being representative in some way

Firstly Carragher is a huge exception. I love the guy, and he is the only player who would choose club over country in the England set-up.

Gerrard would choose country over club. Fact. Speak to him.

None of the others would. The English, even regionally speaking have no way near as much anti-establishment sentiment as spain (catalan, basque followed by all the other regions), or the french players who would choose "Droit Au But" over the blue shirt any day
khob pas dige che bad tar! chesham roshan.

Taa haala mishod goft ingilisiaa vaase in khoob baazi nemikonan chon be team mellishoon ahamiat nemidan. Vali age ahamiat midano o natijash iniye ke daarim mibinim pas masale ine ke inaa vaaghean aslan khoob nistan, na inke nemikhaan, mikhaano nemitoonan. :(