Messi

Messi, C.Ronaldo, Xavi Finalists of FIFA Ballon d'Or award. Who should win the Award?

• Lionel Messi

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Cristiano Ronaldo

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Xavi

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
Hands down, Xavi. While the other 2 get a lot of notoriety being more prolific goal scorers and flashy, Xavi has been the heart and soul of both Spain and barcelona for years. Don't believe me, compare Argentina, Portugal and Spain's performance in the last world cup, not just results, but the actual play too.

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Messi is bossing the game in Xavi's presence. That should count too. I know Xavi deserves it, but credit should be given to Messi for turning into a monster in Xavi's presence. It takes lots of character. He could easily remain the Messi he used to be and feed off Xavi's brilliance without losing sleep, but he turned the tides and is actually giving as much as getting these days. It'll be a long time before such a brilliant combination ever gets repeated. They should give it to Mexavi or Xassi

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
I have a friend that thinks Barca would NOT win anything if it wasnt for Messi , the fact that they won their first CL after 96 years is a proof to him.

i dont agree and think while Messi certainly improves Barca, Messi needs Barca as much as they need Messi, and to me Argentia is the proof.

while Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Bousquet, Villa, Pedro, Cesc , Pique are world cup and Euro winners, Messi has NOT achieved ANYTHING without these guys.

please share your opinion.

Thank you,

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
we only would know the answer if Messi plays in another club. He is definitely amazing but Xavi and Iniesta have won almost every title and the way they control the midfield gives opportunity to the forwards to move freely. Remember Barcelona won with Eto and no Messi around.

so in short No ... Barcelona is about the team ... Real Madrid is about individuality ...

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
if i kindly ask everyone leave Real Madrid out so we stick to the topic.

to me the fact that Messi can NOT produce the same effect for Argentina as for Barcelona is proof enough he needs the players around him as much as they need him, look at Spain for example they dont win anything for 44 years and all of a sudden they win Euro and World Cup ! the last time i checked Messi did NOT play there !

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
if i kindly ask everyone leave Real Madrid out so we stick to the topic.

to me the fact that Messi can NOT produce the same effect for Argentina as for Barcelona is proof enough he needs the players around him as much as they need him, look at Spain for example they dont win anything for 44 years and all of a sudden they win Euro and World Cup ! the last time i checked Messi did NOT play there !
Messi is not a midfielder so of course some players need to provide for him ...
I really think that in soccer the whole team has to perform, that is the case in Barcelona. In any event, even soccer players have so much respect for Messi and consider him as amazing so who are we to judge him ...

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
He is very important to Barcelona but Xavi is more important, the only player that can only be compared to him is Pirlo. The most important thing in Barcelona is the academy as the whole and the old dutchy.
But no one can come close to Messi, he is simply the best.

Zopyrus

Bench Warmer
Aug 11, 2004
I think it is because Barcelona players have higher football intelligence (Puyol, Pique, Xavi, Iniesta) that they succed so much, Messi is like the edge of the sword. Those four players can take any team and make it world class but I am sceptical if "only" Messi could.

Feb 4, 2005
Messi has been a huge contributor to Barca's success in past few years and I think Barcelona wouldn't have won half of the titles if Messi wasn't part of that team (not to take away any credit from other players and more speciofically their young coach).

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
Is your friend's name Fariborz? lool

well he is the most effective player Barca has as far as offense goes but It's not ALL Messi, that's just a ridiculous assessment. just watch the last clasico , if anything it was all about Iniesta and Alves.

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
I think Messi excels because of Barcelona, not the other way around. While I admit Messi is a great player, very talented and smart, Barcelona without him would have accomplished most of what it did. Clearly, Messi in his position in Barcelona is better than almost anybody Barcelona could replace him with, but he is not the main reason for Barcelona's success. In short, I would attribute about 10-15% of Barcelona's success to Messi. Similarly, I would attribute about 50% of Messi's success to Barcelona. Case in point, as I mentioned in other threads already, and has been mentioned in this thread, Messi accomplished nothing with Argentina in the last WC, while Spain, the core of which was centered around the great Spanish players in Barcelona, won it all. The same core group of Spanish players also won WC titles in younger years and the Euro Cup, etc. I think that pretty much says all that needs to be said on the subject.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
I contribute 50% of Barca's success to Messi but around 90% of Messi's success to Barca.

Barcelona under Guardiola is a team of great individuals and on top the greatest individual talent in ages woven seamlessly into the collective. Sorry that I have to use the Ronaldo comparison, but Madrid with Ronaldo is a great team with a great individual talent, but he's not really part of the team, he does his own thing.

Messi with Barca is just a great team. Madrid kind of is 10+Ronaldo while Barca is Messi+10. It's a fine difference. It's also the reason Argentina doesn't work well because while Messi is a great individual talent he is too much used to the team and can only excel in the team as part of it. However, it is expected of him to be an outlier position to play the ball to whenever they don't know what to do.

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
It's funny with Argentina they have such a talented squad offensively. Aguero, Higuain, Messi, Tevez, Lavezzi but there are no playmakers like Xavi in the midfield to hold the ball and distribute well. The team has no balance

I think that year they blew it against Germany with Riquelme (big part of it), Ayala, Gabi Milito and Pekerman was their most complete team in recent years. Nowadays they don't really have the talent in midfield or defense.