Korea Republic

DPRK Fixtures:
-
Saudi Arabia

Saudi Arabia Fixtures:
Korea Republic
DPR Korea

Lets start off with some facts:
-Iran cannot proceed with WCQ with anything less than four points in the remaining two games versus UAE on June 10th and Korea Republic on the 17th.

-UAE is already eliminated. Korea Republic will have most likely qualified when they play Iran on the 17th. K.R happen to lead the division and have completed one less match than all other squads. Both these things happen to play in Iran's favor.

How this can work out
Just a few very plausible situations...this doesn't include potential total collapses by another team:

-If in KSA's next two games they gather only 3 points to our 4. The Saudi's will have a tough time beating both DPRK and KR. Then we can qualify for the Play-off round based off of goal differential(which is currently even).

-If KSA loses next two games and we gather 3 points for a goal differential determination. Or we gather four and qualify. This bullet point is unlikely.

-DPRK draws against the Saudis and then the Saudis draw their final game against KR. Assuming we beat UAE (as we should) and a KR on its final game (which would mean they have qualified too), then we're in as the second place team with 13 points over KSA and DPRK's 12. Perhaps Saudi wins the second game versus KR and then they finish 2nd, we finish 3rd, DPRK is odd man out.

-DPRK loses its only remaining game to KSA. KSA goes on to draw KR in KSA. Iran beats both UAE and a resting KR to leap frog us over DPRK for 3rd place. KR finishes first with 15, KSA finishes with 14 points for second, we're 13 for third, DPRK with 11 and is eliminated.

Keep in mind...
KR is in first and has played one less game than everyone else. DRPK is in 2nd, but has played one more game than everyone else. Iran will be playing at UAE to an already eliminated squad and then back home versus KR again a squad that will have realistically already qualified...after playing both KSA and UAE.

We have a shot. We need 6 points for a sure chance, but we could get by on just 4 as well. DPRK's situation with 7 games played makes this qualification much more feasible than first meets the eye.

Madridista

IPL Player
Sep 25, 2005
you guys do realise that were struggling to qualify against teams like saudi and korea!....what are we going to do in the world cup if we cant even manage teams like these??

ghilich

Bench Warmer
Oct 12, 2004
usa
All these needed "agar or magar" calculations point to one thing:

we are not good enough to play in the WC. If we do by some MIRACLE sneak through, we can easily suffer some humiliating losses in the WC. I don't want to see our team lose by 6 or 7 goals to some team in WC. ala what happened to UAE against Germany and believe me, we are NOT that far off from that happening to us.

ABall

Bench Warmer
Jun 15, 2006
whoknowwwws?
I am still hopeful for our team...I would say our biggest problem is on field chemistry and I would hope Ghotbi could get working on that for next week's fixture.

Obviously the starting XI needs some tinkering too...