Mexico will be a formidable team

Jan 26, 2005
Those of you who are happy that Mexico is on our group are highly mistaken. Mexico will be a formidable team. Right now, I think there is % 90 chances they will defeat Iran.
One thing that we all need to keep in mind about Mexicans, they are not lazy at all. They put tremendous amount of energy into whatever they do. I have worked with them in restaurant washing dishes, and doing other stuff. I have had them do labor work for me. I have seen them work around the farm and on construction sites. They are extremely hard working group of people. Mexican football players are no exception. I watch a lot of Mexican club football. Their style of play can devastate Iran, and it can be simplified as follows: During defense (when you do not have the ball) relentlessly pressure the opponent and the ball. If necessary use up to 3 players to stop the attacking player with the ball in defensive third from getting close to your goal, while all other attacking players in the area marked. In offensive (when you have the ball), very quickly and efficiently move the ball around. Never allow the opponent to trap you. Do not make unnecessary and stupid moves. Keep the ball on the ground as much as possible. Move the ball back and forth very quickly until you find the open or the weak spot to penetrate. I am not sure have much of that we have. You hardly find any Mexican player walking during the game. It is continuous running. They are in great shape. I am not sure how much of that we have. It appears that there is great solidarity between the players and teamwork is the main objective, not how the individual player looks . I am not sure how much of that we have. And when it comes to national pride, I am afraid Mexican players might show more of that than our players. Mexicans are extremely nationalistic. I am afraid; Mexico will not be as easy as many of you think.

Oct 18, 2002
Southern California
I think that you should calm down a bit.This is the WC and all the teams are strong ,so who would you prefer? ...... Brasil or Argentina?

I don't think anyone here is underestimating Mexico but I don't want to underestimate our team either.

Jan 26, 2005
I vote for Brazil. Historically, they have been the most consistent team in the world cup. In the more recent world cups Argentina has had problems keeping its composure and that might be still a big issue for them for when things get tough, whereas Brazil has a lot more ability than Argentine to pull a rabbit out of the hat when needed.