Mick Mcarthy

halftime

Bench Warmer
Nov 24, 2004
After listening to him for the Iran v Portugal game I can see why Sunderland were so pish and why Roy Keane called him an amateur.

No understanding of tactics and couldn’t spot a players if he slapped him in the face.

He talked garbage and slagged off Iranian players and fans. I was particularly annoyed when he was making fun of Sohrab Bakhtiyarizadeh’s name.

My thoughts are that he’s an idiot and that is purely based on his co-commentary for BBC.

Go Iran

Reporter

Bench Warmer
Apr 5, 2004
the whole BBC team are crap.... even golden gary!

the worse is ian f*****g write.... honestly! he should not be allowed on TV!

The only think left for me in this WC is England's failure.... which almost gives me as much joy as Iran's success!!!

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Man, I think pissant little SBS has got the best commentators. Martin Tyler has always been my idol and Gary Bloom cracks me up with his one-liners which is just the right tonic at 3-4 in the morning. Although I must've heard him say "They've been written off more times this week than the Mexican National debt" about a dozen times over the years, it still cracks me up!
Martin Tyler's knowledge and timely inputs are just fantastic.

Oct 11, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Sporthead said:
Man, I think pissant little SBS has got the best commentators. Martin Tyler has always been my idol and Gary Bloom cracks me up with his one-liners which is just the right tonic at 3-4 in the morning. Although I must've heard him say "They've been written off more times this week than the Mexican National debt" about a dozen times over the years, it still cracks me up!
Martin Tyler's knowledge and timely inputs are just fantastic.
Martin Tyler, John Helm and Simon Hill are excellent.

Gary Bloom is boring as hell; especially when he goes on a 3min run of pronouncing every single Korean player's name; Sing Bah Boo, Jing Maaa see .... call the game mate, we don't need to know everyone's name !!!

however compared to their commentators, SBS has the worst expert analysis team !!! Anytime Rale Rasic talks, I want to break my TV !!! especially the rubbish he talks about at half-time about Iran; and Ned Zelic is a boring bunch of rubbish !!!

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I've been trying for 2-3 years to get on SBS. I even have coffee at the SBS Cafe in Artarmon in the wild hope of running into Les Murray there. I think after the Zelic, Rasic (and who is that idiot Tony Polumbo), I'll be getting a call up pretty soon! ;)

About Gary Bloom, I love the guy. His one liners can turn the most boring game into an entertaining one. I don't mind John Helm either, but that Simon Hill is another one of those stupid import poms (like that idiot on channel nine for the cricket), that's suddenly popped out of nowhere and been sat in front of the mic. I think he adds nothing to the game, and very biased too when he's calling Australian games.

halftime

Bench Warmer
Nov 24, 2004
Getting a positive comment from him about anything Iran was like drawing teeth.

He just kept ranting on about how good Portugal were.

He said something like “ Iranian fans have a good shot on them” referring to Iranian fans throwing missiles at him when Ireland played Iran in Azadi.

When Sohrab came on as a sub, he was laughing at his name.

Go Iran

Ali(ISP)

Tottenham till I die
Oct 16, 2002
Southampton, UK
he was also really pissing me off. did u hear him making fun of iranian fans? he was saying iranian fans are the best at taking aim, coz they threw so many things to them when they were iran.

through out the match he was basically making fun of iran. he forgot he actually beat him team in iran 1-0, and if it wasnt for given's excellent saves (for which he won the man of the match award), iran would have made it to the world cup in 2002!

Jan 23, 2003
Ali(ISP) said:
through out the match he was basically making fun of iran. he forgot he actually beat him team in iran 1-0, and if it wasnt for given's excellent saves (for which he won the man of the match award), iran would have made it to the world cup in 2002!
Exactly..... When the commentatr said Branko has come under criticism, McCarthy says" Why.....the team are doing their best"!!

azaad2004

Bench Warmer
Jul 29, 2005
This is so weird, I was thinking about how bad McCarthy's commentary was and I saw this thread!

The guy is an asshole, he was slagging Iran off for the whole 90 minutes. Every single time Iran touched the ball he said "they are happy by wasting time and kicking the ball out" whereas Iran was keeping the posession and trying to build up attacks (during first half). The guy pissed me off so much.