Most overrated and underrated Uiversities in the USA

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Some of you have kids here who are ready to apply for college so I thought this list could help a bit. Caveat, this is based solely on my experiences and talking to people from these respective schools. I will pick one underrated and overrated school for each major category, private, public, small liberal arts school.
Most overrated private school. This one is a no brainer for me, it has to be Stanford. In the 80's their engineering program in probation. They have a large endowment and a big name but they are not on the same level as Harvard, as much as they want you to think that.
Most understated private school. Did you know that BYU is ranked #21 in the US News and World Report rankings? They are one spot behind Duke and UCLA who are tied for 20, which is the perfect Segway to the next topic.
The most overrated public university, UCLA. I don't care what the US News and World Report Rankings say, probably because UCLA is an LA school, they ranked them higher than Berkeley but Berkeley is the #1 ranked public school, not UCLA.
Most underrated public uni, University of Wisconsin, Madison. Did you know Wisconsin is consistently ranked in the top 35? They are a mid west school, they are not going to get the love as an LA o NY school. They suffer from the same problem an elite East Coast or West Coast Cali school.
Most overrated liberal arts college Amherst. Just because it's in Boston everyone goes ooh and awww at Amherst but I would argue that Pomona College is just as prestigious, just not as well known.
One more category for Iranian parents here, engineering school
Most overrated engineering school- Stanford they were under academic probation, I believe in the 80's.
Most underrated engineering school. Did you know Harvey Mudd College in Claremont, has one of the best engineering schools in the country? The top 3 engineering firms Halliburton, Parsons, and Bechtel will gladly pick you up, and offer a nice job, if you graduate from that school. The problem is can you get in, it is almost as hard as getting into a good IV league school.
Honorable mention for most overrated public school MICHIGAN I love how Michigan students act like they attend Harvard.
Feel free to come up with your own list you can pick one from each major category.
Most overrated Iranian university, just for stuff and giggles, University of Sharif. Ok I know it really is a good school, I just want to piss off you know who. What's the matter bro couldn't get into University of Tehran or Amir Kabir? Seems like student body at University of Sharif are just a bunch of rude jerks, just from my experience. : I apologize ISP, I could not resist taking a dig at U of Sharif. Ya I know they have the #2 electrical engineering dept, next to Stanford, good for you. You don't have to be such a d bag about it, just saying.

Last edited:

Tehol Bedict

Aug 6, 2021
Helvetia 🇨🇭
Dog, how are you planning to survive at BYU without drinking, smoking, even having coffee or tea?

Their Word of Wisdom is some pretty heavy duty shit, i know you like to blaze every now and again... Hope you're ready for it!

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
The fact is that in 2021, information and knowledge is accessible by having an internet connection. So I think undergrad education doesnt matter anymore.
However, the story for grad school is different because the top universities have more money and resources for research. Having said that, there are many labs which produce amazing results but on average the top universities are still the best for grad studies.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
The fact is that in 2021, information and knowledge is accessible by having an internet connection. So I think undergrad education doesnt matter anymore.
However, the story for grad school is different because the top universities have more money and resources for research. Having said that, there are many labs which produce amazing results but on average the top universities are still the best for grad studies
Also, yes information and knowledge is accessible in 2021. Apparently BYU's sister college is Michigan, we were going over some Educational studies on CRT(critical race theory the hot button topic), from U of M case studies.

The difference is this, if you go to a school like BYU or Michigan, you are most likely going to get picked up for work, much faster than if you go to abig private for profit or public state school, where you can be one of 50,000 or 100,000 students(see Penn St)

Three small schools that can pack a mean punch are
Harvey Mudd #1 for undergraduate engineering tuition $56,000 more expensive than Harvard and $1,000 more than Pomona college
BYU #21 overall best kept secret in America and best bang for your buck private university under $6,000 for in state and $15,000 for non state-LCS prices, you can't beat that.
and Pomona College for liberal arts-ranked in the top 5 checking in at #4

The tuition at Pomona College will give you a heart attack, more expensive than Harvard $46,000 a year
$55,000 with tuition and fees

To go Harvey Mudd or Pomona college, your daddy better be making north of $250,000 a year but to go to BYU is doable.

Most innovative public schools tie for Penn St and Arizona State.
You can take EVERY MAJOR ONLINE and you will pay in state tuition prices ASU #200 US News and World Report Penn St #75
With the pandemic, more schools should follow the ASU-PSU model.

Again it all boils down to money and undergrad is a necessary evil, these ideas are great but they are just ideas, for now you are stuck taking the 2 years of GE and 4-5 years for your undergrad. Here is what I recommend to save some money.
Go the JUCO Junior College route for 2 years, even if you can get into a 4 year college out of high school.
Kick buttski for 2 years, if you get a 3.5 GPA, you can go to any schools not named Harvard, MIT, Cal Tech, Stanford or John's Hopkins.

Note if you want to go to Utah State, or University of Utah, the tuition is $7500 and $27,000 respectively. BYU is desirable because the tuition in sstate or LDS prices are $5900(under $6000 MOFT) and $15,000 for out of state or non LDS prices(still not bad compared to the U $27,000)
The problem is you have to have the smarts to get in, the average GPA at BYU is 3.8 the average GPA at Utah is 3.55(both very high) MEDIAN INCOME here is the difference
Graduation Rate HIGHLIGHTS are BYU stats 78%55%Median Earnings (After 10 years) BYU$69,100 The U $61,300Making Student Loan Payments 80%72%Median Student Loan Debt $ 11,000$15,000Median Loan Payment $113$155
BYU students pay less on student debt-$11,000-15000 and their monthly payments are $113 vs $150.

In CA, when I went to Pasadena City College, it was $11 or about $2000 a year, now it is about $7,000, still cheaper than a State, UC or Private. '
Go transfer to a good state school like Cal Poly SLO, Pomona and get your undergrad there.
Save the elite top 20 private school for grad or doctorate. There is the top 10-15 and then you have like 5-6 floater Unis (DUKE BYU UCLA0 that could be in next or the following year.
Again the main theme $ talks, t
It is a simple formula $(Endowment Budget = >research

Here is something interesting TOP 10 best VALUE SCHOOLS

BYU was also highly ranked for several specific academic programs in the newly published U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2022 guide, including:
  • No. 2: Accounting
  • No. 13: Entrepreneurship
  • No. 18: Information Systems
  • No. 23: International Business
Question, US News and World Report, disqualify all of these schools but BYU and North Carolina ? Note in state for UNC $7,000 about the same price as BYU $7500.
What value is there is there if you go to Rice and pay $46,000? BTW Harvard is the cheapest one next to BYU and UNC, a public
All of them are no less than $4r0,000 even with BYU's out of state prices, tuition comes in at $15,000. Shouldn't value school be defined as $15,000 or less?

Last edited:

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Just sent my kid to UC Davis. He got into UCI and Cal Poly SLO and UCSC & SDSU. Damn it is expensive. I'm glad I started a 529 plan early.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
@Tehol Bedict Damet garm At my VFW( Bunch of Germans btw) we had a nice but modest celebration, it was good seeing some friends I haven/t in a while.
Oh and Go Cougars!

Rise, all loyal Cougars
And hurl your challenge to the foe.
We will fight, day or night,
Rain or snow.
Loyal, strong and true,
Wear the White and Blue.
As we sing, get set to spring.
Come on Cougars, it's up to you!
(STAND)
So Rise and Shout, the Cougars are out
We're on a trail to fame and glory.
Rise and shout, our cheers will ring out
As we unfold our vict'ry story.
On we go to vanquish the foe
For Alma Mater's sons and daughters.
As we join in song,
In praise of you, our faith is strong.
We'll raise our colors high in the blue
And cheer our Cougars of BYU.

Question is BYU now the premier elite team in the Mountain West region? Going to the big 12 will really help us. Also, I got a little treat a tutorial on the intro of Franz List Hungarian Rhapsody- aka Lazan and a tutorial.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
@Zob Ahan Ya UC schools are expensive for sure bro and Cal States are not cheaper. Now when I went to Cal Poly Pomona, they raised the tuition my senior year from $900 a quarter to $1600 and my cousin said UCLA cost $16,000. I have a friend who is a dentist, graduated from John's Hopkins dentestry but took his undergrad at UC Davis. I was recruited to play football for a few schools before Cal Poly Pomona's program got distontinued, they were a division II chamiopns but our coach went to the failed XFL, to coach the LA football team. I find myself in a school without a football program, (Not my plan)
Tuition at UC Davis · $40,430 (2019)

Tuition at BYU $7500 (45900 my price partial scholarship) NON LDS prices $15000
Even if you don't have family members who can hook you up with LDS prices, you are STILL paying 2.6 times MORE at UC Davis.
Tuition at Harvard $43,000 Damn bro UC Davis costs HARVARD MONEY and they are a public!
Tuition at Cal Poly Pomona or SLO $17,000- Still $2,000 more expensive than BYU
Tuition at Univ of Utah $27,000
Tuition at Utah St $7500

https://news.byu.edu/news/byu-21-academic-ranking-colleges

Rank BYU #21

US News and World Report #6 best value school 80% cheaper than most publics. You can see why I picked BYU now right? You get an elite education for pennies on the dollar, even if you have to pay $15,000 STILL worth it and $2000 cheaper than any IN STATE Cal State prices. The problem is the average BYU grad student has a 3.8 GPA. The tuition is not the problem in, getting admitted is, think UCLA because tied for 20 is Duke and UCLA.
UC Davis #39(not bad top 50, didn't know they were that high)
BTW Cal Poly SLO and Pomona have two of the best engineering in the CSU system, and it is as good as most of the top UC's. Cal Poly SlO is ranked in the top 5.
Is your kid going to study Engineering by any chance?
@Tehol Bedict Emroz Veteran's day hasteh November 11 baradar.

Last edited:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
@Zob Ahan I did not see a comment, I saw you quoted me so i am sure that was a mistake.
when I was going to school you sees cost about $16,000 a year and with room and board , add another 15,000. Cal Drates at the end were about $6000 but this was back in 2000-2004. PCC codt $11 a unit, now i think it is $50.
it seems like except for BYU, most major state and private schools, hage doubled over the last 20 years. So if you are going to pay $40,000 to UCLA, Berkeley or Davis, might as welk pay $3,000 more and go to Harvard. Well, assuming you have the GPA and test scores. out of that list that I showed you are on the top 10 value school, I would keep Harvard, despite it beinf $43,000. Some of those schools, like Yale costs $13,000 more . Side note- all of a sudden that $87,000(say $90,000 by 2024) for John’s Hopkin’s, seems like a bargain.
Side note U$C $57,000. Forget about sending your kid to, the University of Second Choice.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Shervin jan, my son is a Chemistry major at UC Davis. He got into CAL Poly SLO as a statistics major. He learned that at SLO changing majors is a bitch so he chose UC Davis. I don't think he knows what he wants to do so UC Davis was safer as it is easy to switch majors there.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
@Zob Ahan I had to learn that the HARD WAY and here is one thing I know that you don't. I have friends who also went to Cal Poly SLO and like Pomona or any CSU school, what else is a bitch is getting classes. that is why It took me 5 years to graduate, not that I was dumb, you want to take 4 classes, you might end up with 2 or maybe 3. I'm just amazed at how expensive the UC's are now, it is reaching private school money.
Also, all of the stats are backed up by research, mostly US News and World Report, which is a great resource.
Well, to cut back on some of those costs, I would encourage your son to apply for any scholarships, especially one in his specific field, Chemistry. BTW I also liked Statistics very much I think based on those two schools and his major, he picked the right school.

Last edited:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
For me, with my $2500 in scholarships and free books, it is like BYU telling me to go to their school for free, you are paying less than $5,000 for a world class top 20-25 education. Going back, if I could have done it over again, I would have transferred to UCLA and I would have been on a scholarship but not football, swimming and or futbol, most likely. UCLA football sucks anyways. I am sure your son will have no problems getting his classes at UC Davis.
Also, I do not know if you are paying his way but you being an Iranian father, I would bet my money that you are. That is why I didn't recommend FASFA student loans because your son probably doesn't have any. However, if he get's approved, he could get the loan and if you are taking out loans, then you can pay off the tuition with the FASFA money, which is very low or maybe even 0% interest.
I'm sure your son can run circles around me in Chemistry. All I can tell you is Dimitry Mendeleev created the Periodic Table of Elements and I can still cite some of them like Gold is AU. I wish him the best of luck at UC Davis, that is a good top 40 school he ii, ya that tuition sticker shock can get you. That is why I'm betting you are taking care of that. You should be proud and congratulations on him getting into UC Davis.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Same here. in high school I barely got a B and I was very lucky, the teacher probably hooked it up a few pts because foorball was time consuming. in college I just took an equivalency exam and got a oassi g score to cleo out. To be honest
i should have gotten a C so that is the only class, C because j count it as a false B.

RaminS

Feb 19, 2009
@Zob Ahan Ya UC schools are expensive for sure bro and Cal States are not cheaper. Now when I went to Cal Poly Pomona, they raised the tuition my senior year from $900 a quarter to $1600 and my cousin said UCLA cost $16,000. I have a friend who is a dentist, graduated from John's Hopkins dentestry but took his undergrad at UC Davis. I was recruited to play football for a few schools before Cal Poly Pomona's program got distontinued, they were a division II chamiopns but our coach went to the failed XFL, to coach the LA football team. I find myself in a school without a football program, (Not my plan)
Tuition at UC Davis · $40,430 (2019)

Tuition at BYU $7500 (45900 my price partial scholarship) NON LDS prices $15000
Even if you don't have family members who can hook you up with LDS prices, you are STILL paying 2.6 times MORE at UC Davis.
Tuition at Harvard $43,000 Damn bro UC Davis costs HARVARD MONEY and they are a public!
Tuition at Cal Poly Pomona or SLO $17,000- Still $2,000 more expensive than BYU
Tuition at Univ of Utah $27,000
Tuition at Utah St $7500

https://news.byu.edu/news/byu-21-academic-ranking-colleges

Rank BYU #21

US News and World Report #6 best value school 80% cheaper than most publics. You can see why I picked BYU now right? You get an elite education for pennies on the dollar, even if you have to pay $15,000 STILL worth it and $2000 cheaper than any IN STATE Cal State prices. The problem is the average BYU grad student has a 3.8 GPA. The tuition is not the problem in, getting admitted is, think UCLA because tied for 20 is Duke and UCLA.
UC Davis #39(not bad top 50, didn't know they were that high)
BTW Cal Poly SLO and Pomona have two of the best engineering in the CSU system, and it is as good as most of the top UC's. Cal Poly SlO is ranked in the top 5.
Is your kid going to study Engineering by any chance?
@Tehol Bedict Emroz Veteran's day hasteh November 11 baradar.
While Al Luginbill played for Cal Poly Pomona, he never coached them. Their last football season was 1982. Stop.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
So I might be moving to Utah but not for BYU. the criticism with Clark County Schoom district is they move like damn molasses. they also have some of the most stringent standards, more than even California; which is up there.
This year they also added some extra classes. Homes in SLC
are about $150,000-$200,000 MORe then LV but i need to talk to my pops. My property went
uo from 300,000 to 450 and our joint town house was bought for 155,000 now that is 350,000. With the $200,000 from the town house i might be able to make it but although we went half on it, he might have to surrender his part. It is the only way, i can’t do a 1031 and pay off the house straight up. As for state taxes not bad , 5.9 percent. it’s not zero like Nevada but it’s not 13 1/2.
One good thing is Cali Nv and Utah are reciprocal , meaning if i want to teach at my high school, Crescenta Valley, CA will honor my Utah license.