Mourinho the greatest coach/Mgr of all time

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007
* Incredible 4 league titles in 4 countries/leagues ,
* 2 champions league wins with 2 differfent teams. 4 CL semi fianls with 4 teams

But most important: leading 2 teams - porto and Inter who had been so far from winning champions for so long to glory
and leading Chelsea to glory in EPL.

More impressive is the fact that in most of these cases he build and put the team together. There are million coaches out there who are given unlimited funds for puttin together a championship team only for overwhelming majority to fail. Mourinho has almost always succeded.

He is now by far the greatest coach in history.

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
pick any coach who ever coached any big team in europe
Not comparable. Unlimited funds is different than limited.

Except his time at Porto, Mourinho has truly enjoyed "unlimited" funding and dream squads. I don't deny his potency as a coach, but his teams would've finished among the top 3 in their respective country regardless of who their manager was.

To me a coach who takes a lower table team and turns things around has much more bragging rights than someone like Mourinho. The difference between being 2nd and winning the championship is a fine hairline, but the difference between relegation-zone and Champions Cup ranking is absolutely huge.

Mourinho is an okay manager for top clubs though. At least he's almost guaranteed to not make things worse.

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007
you dont know what you are talking about. Mourinho single handedly build championship winning teams in 4 different leagues. Something many many coaches prior to him and with the same resources had failed to do.

this is no rocket science champ, just look at his followers and predecessors at Inter, Chelsea, Real to see why he is one of a kind and the greatest ever.

Azhidahak

Bench Warmer
May 30, 2005
you dont know what you are talking about. Mourinho single handedly build championship winning teams in 4 different leagues. Something many many coaches prior to him and with the same resources had failed to do.

this is no rocket science champ, just look at his followers and predecessors at Inter, Chelsea, Real to see why he is one of a kind and the greatest ever.
This is probably the best post Ive ever seen you make. Mourinho is the best coach in the HISTORY OF FOOTBALL no arguement. Saying all that stuff about him winning with big teams is like saying Messi isnt the greatest player on the planet just because he plays for Barca. Except that Mourinho infact HAS even proven himself with a team like Porto also. He has proven himself time and time again in anyway and anywhere it was possible.

I have always disliked Madrid my entire life, but there is probably no figure in the fotball world that I currently love more than Mourinho and solely for him I was hoping Madrid would win the title and no matter where he goes and which team I will always cheer for him. What he has done for Inter has no coach ever been able to do for us or ANY other italian team in the history of italian football !!!!

Mourinho is the best ever, period, there isnt even any discussion about that.

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
saying he's the best ever is a bit bold, there's alot of coaches and criteria you'd have to take into account. Maybe he is, I'm not sure, but I don't think there's any discussion about him being one of the best or even the best of his generation. The guy guarantees success anywhere he goes.

Feb 22, 2005
Mourinho is the one of the 2 best coaches in the world along with Guardiola. It is before time we find out which one.

Guardiola put together the best team of all time. Mourniho won many but he has not yet put together the best tean of a year.

No one cares that Chelsea beat Barcelona in few years from now, but everyone forever will remember this Barcelona team.

InDaMoneyz

IPL Player
Mar 13, 2007
Mourinho is the one of the 2 best coaches in the world along with Guardiola. It is before time we find out which one.

Guardiola put together the best team of all time. Mourniho won many but he has not yet put together the best tean of a year.

No one cares that Chelsea beat Barcelona in few years from now, but everyone forever will remember this Barcelona team.
LOL at guardiola and barca!

when guardiola goes to italy and wins the serie a there, goes to EPL and wins the toughest league with a startup team there and wins another CL title with another team then we can start comparing.
As it stands and as far as i am concerned guardiola is behind at least 15 coaches I can recall from top of my head including sacchi, capello, lippi, trappatoni, van gal, mourinho, fergie, wenger, hiddink,....

same with barcelona, there is only one reason why you think that way: because you are a kid and have no clue

Azhidahak

Bench Warmer
May 30, 2005

I dont agree 1 bit with this. People try to put down (talk down) the great achievements of Mourinho because they say he has had very good teams to work with then you come and talk higher of Pep who has had the strongest squad history of football has ever witnessed. Do you sense any double standard here???

Anyone that knows a thing or two about football and cant see that Mourinho is like 10feet above all other coaches is either a hater or is just in total denial.

Feb 22, 2005
I am a big fan of Mourinho and did say he is one of the 2 best coaches in the world. He is a head and shoulder above the rest. But that is not to say Guardiola is not better. Guardiola still has to prove himself but he did put the best team of all time together, something no one else could come close to doing.

I dont agree 1 bit with this. People try to put down (talk down) the great achievements of Mourinho because they say he has had very good teams to work with then you come and talk higher of Pep who has had the strongest squad history of football has ever witnessed. Do you sense any double standard here???

Anyone that knows a thing or two about football and cant see that Mourinho is like 10feet above all other coaches is either a hater or is just in total denial.

kasra1930

National Team Player
Dec 30, 2011
This is probably the best post Ive ever seen you make. Mourinho is the best coach in the HISTORY OF FOOTBALL no arguement. Saying all that stuff about him winning with big teams is like saying Messi isnt the greatest player on the planet just because he plays for Barca. Except that Mourinho infact HAS even proven himself with a team like Porto also. He has proven himself time and time again in anyway and anywhere it was possible.

I have always disliked Madrid my entire life, but there is probably no figure in the fotball world that I currently love more than Mourinho and solely for him I was hoping Madrid would win the title and no matter where he goes and which team I will always cheer for him. What he has done for Inter has no coach ever been able to do for us or ANY other italian team in the history of italian football !!!!

Mourinho is the best ever, period, there isnt even any discussion about that.
Aziz,I agree with you,MOU is an exceptional coach in the world but not the best,I can say among the best...the best coaches in the world;are;1)stephen coax from romania who invented total football in ajax(although he took some from hungaria 1954) in 1970s,who revoloutionized soccer history,...
2)sepp herberger from germany 1954,the second best in the world,after defeating hungaria in world cup 1954,in final...
3)vitorio pozzo,italian coach in 1930s,who revolutionize soccer in that
moment,grabbed 2 world cup 1934,1938 for italy,he changed the formation and system on 1930s..
4)Mou,Guardiola,Rinos mitchell,all in 4th rank,.....

Feb 22, 2005
Kasra, great informative info. I will put Guardiola higher and if he proves he can do the same with others in the future as perhaps close to number 1, if not number 1. Why? Because not team in the history of Football has been able to perfectly execute total Football like Barcelona. No team in the history of the game has played such organized football breaking through some of the best defenses of all time in the most organize fast passing with high technique. Credit must go to him for training and organizing this team.

Aziz,I agree with you,MOU is an exceptional coach in the world but not the best,I can say among the best...the best coaches in the world;are;1)stephen coax from romania who invented total football in ajax(although he took some from hungaria 1954) in 1970s,who revoloutionized soccer history,...
2)sepp herberger from germany 1954,the second best in the world,after defeating hungaria in world cup 1954,in final...
3)vitorio pozzo,italian coach in 1930s,who revolutionize soccer in that
moment,grabbed 2 world cup 1934,1938 for italy,he changed the formation and system on 1930s..
4)Mou,Guardiola,Rinos mitchell,all in 4th rank,.....

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Watching this interview always makes me chuckle.good times.:)

This interview was after Chelsea's defeat to Manchester United in mid-season (2007-08) , the season that Manchester United went on to win the EPL title.Jose left Chelsea shortly after this interview.Manchester United had already won the EPL title in the previous season (2006-07) with Jose in full charge of Chelsea.

Jose was quite useful to Sir Alex & Man United.his 2 EPL titles with Chelsea (2004-05 & 2005-06) re-energized Sir Alex & Man United to come back and win 3 titles in a row.(2006-07 ,2007-08 & 2008-09).Jose's Chelsea played some very good football in the 2005–06 season.

[video=youtube;hgGE3VH_LpE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgGE3VH_LpE[/video]

Last edited:

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
He is one of the greatest, I wont say he is the best just like I wont say Barcelona is the best team in history but definately one of the best team in the history of this sport.

Aug 26, 2005
The only certainty is that there is no certainty. Definitely one of the best coaches of all time, as well as one of the biggest douchebags.

Feb 22, 2005
Golgo, you missed one thing here next to Guardiola, the far superior team and best team in the last several years, arguably the best team of all time.

Here's the difference:

Ferguson = Best Man U. coach ever.
Guardiola = Best Barca coach ever.

Mourinho = Best overall (any club) coach ever.