Moving to America

Aug 26, 2005
Hey guys, I've always thought about moving to America as I love the country - it's history, it's influence, it's varying climate and terrain, etc. I think it will eventually happen but I had questions for those there or who have experienced living there.

Where would you live?
Where would you avoid?
What do you love about the country?
What do you hate about the country?
What are the job prospects like?
Do you find it a racist or tolerable place?
etc,

I'm really interested in your opinions guys.

spinhead

Elite Member
Oct 24, 2002
United States of Amnesia
Where would you live? Outside
Where would you avoid? USA
What do you love about the country? Nothing
What do you hate about the country? Everything
What are the job prospects like? None existent
Do you find it a racist or tolerable place? Racist
etc,

Hope that answers your questions.

Just joking, "taking the mickey out of you" mate!

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
Kaz, you will truly be an asset to this country. We need more people like you here. What we definitely don't need are people who beg, borrow and steal to get in then all of a sudden get an attack of concsience and start questioning how this country was founded, taking land from the Indians, Hiroshima, rich and poor, how wonderful the country they fled was... you know the drill. As for immigrating, the first question is to figure out what your venue is going to be. Family, job, or various other temporary visas. You can find a job anywhere in the country. I suggest you pick a place where you like to live then start looking for a job there. You will find one. That is the beauty of free market capitalism. If you can do the job there will be someone who would want to hire you regardless. Don't listen to this South vs. North thing. People who say it are just parroting political talking points. Anywhere you go there are going to be nice and mean people. People don't like each other for all sorts of reasons. You face far more discrimination in Iran, your birthplace I assume, than you will ever do here.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Little counter-intuitive IMHO to leave Australia for the US bro. I don't think you'll be particularly keen about the weather (in comparison to what you're used to) except in Southern California and Florida. But more importantly, what happens/ed to your law degree and have you been to any part of the US for a visit?

By the way, the tittle reminded me of this...

[video=youtube_share;pKYl6y8qGqw]http://youtu.be/pKYl6y8qGqw[/video]

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Hey guys, I've always thought about moving to America as I love the country - it's history, it's influence, it's varying climate and terrain, etc. I think it will eventually happen but I had questions for those there or who have experienced living there.

Where would you live?
Where would you avoid?
etc,

I am not sure what your priority is? if you are crazy addicted to Iranian food then you have to stay in LA area which is quite expensive.

if you love nature? I would suggest Salt lake city/ Wyoming those places are just beautiful. The downside of a place like Salt lake city is there is virtually no real night life past 10 PM.

if you love the sun to shine constantly then you either have to go to Florida (which I dislike) or Arizona, Sandiego.

if you the night life scene: then you have to go San Francisco, NY or smaller cities like Austin and Phoenix

if you are kind of brown looking like I am.
Stay out of: Deep South (Florid pan Handle, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee aside from Nashville, Arkansas outside little Rock, Texas outside Dallas, Houston and Austin)

Freedom of Speech: Nobody might listen to you but by god you can speak your mind.

I really dislike the broken public transportation system here. in 99% of cities without a car you are out of luck

Job Market has been on the rise for the past 3 years. if you are college educated and you got experience your chances are not bad at all.

Most attitudes are not overtly racist. In fact you will find that you will go out to lunch with folks and everything is hunky dory.
but you will notice that Caucasian in general are promoted easier with less qualification. you will just have to learn to live with that and not get overtly pissed off about that.
America is constantly improving but things will take a while.

Last edited:

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Where would you live? I like where I am which is the suburbs of LA by the coast. It really depends on you though. I have a friend that lives in Montana & has a huge ranch & if you are into that kind of life style there are many places in the USA.
Where would you avoid? I would avoid the states of Alabama & Mississippi.
What do you love about the country? I love everything about it. I love the fact that this is probably the only country in the world where you can arrive with $200 & within 7 years be a millionaire.
What do you hate about the country? The only thing I hate about it is that it is far from Iran & Europe. It is impossible to take a one week trip to Iran. Also I hate the public transportation system.
What are the job prospects like? For what field?
Do you find it a racist or tolerable place? I have never experienced racism in the USA.
etc,

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Where would you live?
You're coming from Australia, so definitely California or Texas (climate).

Where would you avoid?
Most mid states. Weather and economy sucks.

There's little to like about America these days, but it's not too bad as an overall package. The vastness and standards of living are quite notable but not much different than what you're used to in the OZ land.

Not much can be hated about the US except maybe the arrogance and ignorance that is prevalent in some overly religious communities of the South. America is also on the low etiquette side when it comes to social situations. Individualism is the dominant force. For us Iranians it can be both a blessing and also quite harsh at times. Overall though, most people are kind, well behaved and accommodating.

The economy is really down the shitter in some areas and it's very noticeable. You'd think you're passing through a 3rd world country in South America or something. It's not pretty.

What I hate most about this country is people's spending habits. The wastage, carelessness and economical stupidity is just beyond belief. People's eating habits is also very depressing. People look fat and ugly in America because they eat whatever garbage tastes good.

Depends on field and which state you end up in. Overall it's not that great these days when it comes to high paying jobs. Underemployment is a problem.

The only more tolerant country is probably Canada. You land in the US or Canada and you feel like you own it. That's how accepting these countries are. Racism is a rarity in most areas and is usually directed at Blacks or Hispanics.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
Most attitudes are overtly racist.
Let me just say that if you are looking for racism, you will find one. There is no country in the world with less racism than here. You are speaking in generalities. Tell us a personal experience and let us decide for ourselves if that was racism or not. If I want anecdotal stories I listen to Sharpton. You may just a need some positive self-image.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
I am not sure what your priority is? if you are crazy addicted to Iranian food then you have to stay in LA area which is quite expensive.

if you love nature? I would suggest Salt lake city/ Wyoming those places are just beautiful. The downside of a place like Salt lake city is there is virtually no real night life past 10 PM.

if you love the sun to shine constantly then you either have to go to Florida (which I dislike) or Arizona, Sandiego.

if you the night life scene: then you have to go San Francisco, NY or smaller cities like Austin and Phoenix

if you are kind of brown looking like I am.
Stay out of: Deep South (Florid pan Handle, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee aside from Nashville, Arkansas outside little Rock, Texas outside Dallas, Houston and Austin)

Freedom of Speech: Nobody might listen to you but by god you can speak your mind.

I really dislike the broken public transportation system here. in 99% of cities without a car you are out of luck

Job Market has been on the rise for the past 3 years. if you are college educated and you got experience your chances are not bad at all.

Most attitudes are overtly racist. In fact you will find that you will go out to lunch with folks and everything is hunky dory.
but you will notice that Caucasian in general are promoted easier with less qualification. you will just have to learn to live with that and not get overtly pissed off about that.
America is constantly improving but things will take a while.
Can you share your experience with regards to racism.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
You're coming from Australia, so definitely California or Texas (climate).

Most mid states. Weather and economy sucks.

There's little to like about America these days, but it's not too bad as an overall package. The vastness and standards of living are quite notable but not much different than what you're used to in the OZ land.

Not much can be hated about the US except maybe the arrogance and ignorance that is prevalent in some overly religious communities of the South. America is also on the low etiquette side when it comes to social situations. Individualism is the dominant force. For us Iranians it can be both a blessing and also quite harsh at times. Overall though, most people are kind, well behaved and accommodating.

The economy is really down the shitter in some areas and it's very noticeable. You'd think you're passing through a 3rd world country in South America or something. It's not pretty.

What I hate most about this country is people's spending habits. The wastage, carelessness and economical stupidity is just beyond belief. People's eating habits is also very depressing. People look fat and ugly in America because they eat whatever garbage tastes good.

Depends on field and which state you end up in. Overall it's not that great these days when it comes to high paying jobs. Underemployment is a problem.

The only more tolerant country is probably Canada. You land in the US or Canada and you feel like you own it. That's how accepting these countries are. Racism is a rarity in most areas and is usually directed at Blacks or Hispanics.
Texas & Cali have way different climates.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Let me just say that if you are looking for racism, you will find one. There is no country in the world with less racism than here. You are speaking in generalities. Tell us a personal experience and let us decide for ourselves if that was racism or not. If I want anecdotal stories I listen to Sharpton. You may just a need some positive self-image.
That was a typo. I mean to say "not overtly"

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser
There are only a handful of states I would absolutely avoid. The generalizations about the midwest are not true everywhere. Sure, as a whole these states are doing poorly, but there are cities and especially communities in all of these states that are doing significantly better than those in the so called thriving states. Columbus, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh...are all doing very well. Don't concern yourself so much with "states." Look at cities themselves.

Mar 13, 2007
Where would you live? there are zillion top places and cities depending on what you plan on doing, NY, Boston, San Francisco, houston, denver, washington, seattle, LA, san diego, Miami,.....
Where would you avoid? detroit, cleveland, baltimore,...even though even there you can have mansions at no price
What do you love about the country? everything, US and canada are by far the greatest countries that ever existed - specialy for us What do you hate about the country? some disparity
What are the job prospects like? better than anywhere else
Do you find it a racist or tolerable place? more tolerant than anywhere else in the world. for a country of 350 mill racial or religious crimes are minimal. Hearing monkey chants on sports fields here are unimaginable.

IranZamin

IPL Player
Feb 17, 2006
As far as the job market, if you're specifically referring to the legal field, I'm sure you already know there is an over-saturation in many areas. Unless you have connections or your specialty is unique and in demand, you may find it a bit tough to get a high paying position. Still, I hadn't seen an unemployed lawyer until the last 5 years or so. But I know of some now. I also know a few who aren't happy at all with their income and are looking to get into teaching, but then again you could say that about a lot of professions.

And please don't listen to that racism nonsense. As many already pointed out, US and Canada are easily the most accepting countries you'll find as an immigrant. The most "overtly racist" attitudes I've encountered in this country came from a Lebanese guy (which actually ended in a fight) and a Pakistani after he found out I was Shi'a. To this day I chuckle when I remember the frozen look of hate on that idiot's face:) So yes, you might encounter bigotry but not from the sources you've been warned about.

You'll also find that a lot of the regional stereotypes are outdated and misleading. I've spent most of my time in the "liberal" northeast, but having lived for a short time in North Carolina and also having a relative (a practicing Muslim) who lives there, I can tell you the nicest Americans you'll likely meet are from this upper-southern state. In fact if you never visit another part of America, you just might leave that state thinking Americans are the nicest and most polite people in the world.

Hope that helped.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
I can not share those sentiments about southeast at all. I mean i am not and i have never been a permanent resident there but i have lived in US for 4 months and traveled around from New Mexico, Texas to Louisiana, alabama, Oklahoma, Missisippi, North Carolina, Georgia and South Carolina. I also have been to LA, Portland, Seattle and Denver but on other occasions. I have met the nicest and most polite americans in Georgia and North Carolina. The only thing is, you better never start questioning or even insulting their traditions, be part of the comunity, if you are an atheist (like i am), you better keep it to yourself because the vast majority is believing christians but of rather harmless kind. Nevertheless, you will become isolated if you start being outgoing about your atheist belief. They love football and tailgating. Just do what they do and you will be more than welcome. The only place where i didnt feel comfortable was in Oklahoma and a bit in Louisiana.