Mr. G.W. Bush's statement re Iranian election

spinhead

Elite Member
Oct 24, 2002
United States of Amnesia
Today he said:

"Power [in Iran] is in the hands of an unelected few who have retained power through an electoral process that ignores the basic requirements of democracy"

Hmmm, this may be true to a degree, but a man who praised the elections in Afghanistan and Iraq as "triumphs of democracy," both of which were held under foreign military occupations, or a man who praised the elections in Palestine under Israeli occupation, or a man who won the 2000 elections in Florida under highly questionable circumstances, is in no position to criticized Iranian elections. Whatever the electroral process in Iran was, it has produced a range of candidates more diverse in opinions and plans that the two white male christian a$$holes usually put up to selection in us elections.

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
spinhead said:
Today he said:

"Power [in Iran] is in the hands of an unelected few who have retained power through an electoral process that ignores the basic requirements of democracy"

Hmmm, this may be true to a degree, but a man who praised the elections in Afghanistan and Iraq as "triumphs of democracy," both of which were held under foreign military occupations, or a man who praised the elections in Palestine under Israeli occupation, or a man who won the 2000 elections in Florida under highly questionable circumstances, is in no position to criticized Iranian elections. Whatever the electroral process in Iran was, it has produced a range of candidates more diverse in opinions and plans that the two white male christian a$$holes usually put up to selection in us elections.

well....unfortunately...you're right...

Blazevic

Bench Warmer
Aug 1, 2004
spinhead said:
Today he said:

Very well said.

Mar 2, 2003
While George Bush issues his rants, trying to undermine the democratic process in Iran, this is a good article to read as the campaigning ends and people begin to decide who to elect?

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/0e355bfe-de94-11d9-92cd-00000e2511c8.html

Uncertainty surrounds Iran poll

By Gareth Smyth in Tehran
Published: June 16 2005 19:43 | Last updated: June 16 2005 19:43

Iran goes to the polls on Friday to elect a new president with unprecedented uncertainty over the result, as seven candidates chase 46.7m eligible voters in a race to replace Mohammad Khatami, the reformist leader standing down after two terms.

Campaign organisers said they expected the turnout to be higher than the 55 per cent predicted on Wednesday by Abdolvahed Musavi Lari, the interior minister.

Informal polls say the frontrunners are Mostafa Moein, a the main reformist, candidate, Mohammad-Baqer Qalibaf, the conservative former police chief, and Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, a former president.

But senior figures in all camps warned against relying on such polls.

“The Iranian people are about to do something to surprise the world, and in truth no one knows exactly what,” said Mostafa Tajzadeh, a senior official in Mosharekat, the reformist party backing Dr Moein.

An leading organiser for Mr Rafsanjani said he still expected victory, either in Friday’s vote or in a run-off ballot if no candidate gains 50 per cent of the vote in the first round.

But he conceded that “people previously in power, like [UK prime minister] Tony Blair, often face problems [winning votes]”.

Dr Moein’s camp was confident of outpolling both Mr Rafsanjani and Mohammad-Baqer Mr Qalibaf, who is running as a conservative moderniser.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if Mr Rafsanjani came third,” Mr Tajzadeh told the FT. “His campaign has certainly misfired. Sending young people out on the streets [with loud music and stickers] doesn’t work if everyone else just asks how much money they’ve been given.”

Dr Moein’s campaign began late, after Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran’s supreme leader, unexpectedly asked the Guardian Council, the Islamic watchdog, to reconsider a decision to disqualify him.

But it has gathered momentum, especially in targeted appeals to students and intellectuals, and to ethnic minorities - about who are around half Iran’s 68m population.

An organiser in Mr Qalibaf’s camp said on Thursday that Dr Moein, whose slogan has been “Iran for all Iranians”, had made inroads among Iran’s Sunni who make up 10-15 per cent of Iranians and include the Kurdish and the Baluchi ethnic minorities.

“This is a group whose votes can tip the balance,” he said. “When the Sunni leaders came to Mr Qalibaf and asked for specific promises, like seats in his government, he said no. But [Dr] Moein agreed.”

While Ayatollah Khamenei’s intervention enabled Dr Moein to run, the supreme leader has taken no visible steps to consolidate the “fundamentalist” camp, which is split between three candidates - Mr Qalibaf, Ali Larijani, former head of state broadcasting, and Mahmoud Ahmadi-Nejad, Tehran’s mayor.

Hossein Shariatmadari, the editor in chief of the conservative Kayhan newspaper, told the FT this week that fundamentalists should consider forming a political party to avoid such a split in future elections.

The conservative political machine that delivered victory in last year’s parliamentary poll is divided between four candidates, including Mr Rafsanjani.

In a move to foster unity, two senior clerics, Ayatollah Hossein Nouri Hamedani and Ayatollah Nasser Makarem Shirazi, on Thursday urged followers not to vote for someone who could not win.

“The ‘better’ candidate with more support is religiously prioritised,” said Ayatollah Shirazi.

Some reformists, meanwhile, have hailed the leader’s even-handedness as a big step forward from 1997, when Ayatollah Khamenei appeared to back Ali Akbar Nateq-Nuri against what became a landslide victory for Mr Khatami.

“Three months ago the CIA said the fundamentalists would win the election and the reformists were finished,” said Mr Tajzadeh.

“Instead, this is the beginning of the institutionalisation of democracy in Iran. We are seeing the fruits of [outgoing reformist president Mohammad] Khatami’s patience. His triumph is the acceptance that different ideas should be put forward in a peaceful way for the people to decide.”

naomid

Ball Boy
Dec 28, 2003
kavir
ken jan, I know there is a lot of issues at stake but at the end of the day we need to go with a half backed eslahtalab and hopefully this time Hashemi would get on the wagon and put his weight behind it, not?

Mar 2, 2003
naomid said:
ken jan, I know there is a lot of issues at stake but at the end of the day we need to go with a half backed eslahtalab and hopefully this time Hashemi would get on the wagon and put his weight behind it, not?
naomid jan,

I certainly will be quite happy with Moin as president. But I do not want a Rafsanjani presidency, especially not one after a Rafsanjani-Moin runoff.

I have several worries, but on the internal political issue alone, I prefer that the dynamics force Rafsanjani to be a "behind the scene" force for a reformist party that is strong enough to withstand temporary losses and not be driven out of the scene. The best way to get there IMO is for Qalibaf to make the 2nd round, against Moin preferably.

But I would be a little disappointed if the elections leads to a runoff between Rafsanjani and Moin. That would tend to then unite the two "establishment pillars" in the system into one camp again, going against a reform party that lacks any "insider" power. Especially since Moin is no Khatami, that would weaken the reform party as a whole IMO.

That said, any result is better than a no show IMO. As long as Iranians vote in large numbers, I will be happy enough. If they pull the unexpected, and put Qalibaf and Moin in the 2nd round, I will be very happy.

naomid

Ball Boy
Dec 28, 2003
kavir
Ken I assure you that I understand, wholeheartedly, what you are saying. What are the chances of this happening? It absolutely makes sense what you are wishing for but it is like soccer line up. We can go on but the coach (i.e the people), it's turn out and the mood will decide this tomorrow. You ask me, I think you should have been there with Tajzadeh to get this strategy going :)

naomid

Ball Boy
Dec 28, 2003
kavir
....and one more thing. I hate to cor cori about the turn out until I hear or see it tomorrow. I too like a big turnout. Not to show off to those who are boycotting but to the Neocons strategists and see them flip. Remains to be seen.