My Enemy, My Brother | Op-Docs | The New York Times

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I got a little emotional because I was apart of Operation Iraqi Freedom but on the US side. I know what these people went through and I can relate to both of them. The guy is right NOBODY wants war, no American wants war, unless he is an ashlocht and a sadist. Dictators or world leaders declare war and the soldier has no choice but to go to war, otherwise it is called TREASON and in most countries, that is automatic death penalty. At least, it is here in US, especially during war time. It doesn't matter what country you represent USA, Iran, Irak Russia everyone who put the uniform on has a connection instantly only a military man can understand a military man.
The Iranians had to deal with martyrdom and the help of USA and Russia. Of course Irak suffered under Saddam Hussein's regime as well. It was really moving thank you for sharing. What an awesome guy he saves him what a human being. In the US we have a saying I like, "It doesn't matter what your race is because we all bleed red!" For three days the dude helped him and gave him pain killers so he could sleep. RESPECT, PROST! There is your duty of being a soldier, sailor, marine or airman but then there is your duty to be a human being. It must be trippy to see your own tombstone. I could only imagine how much anger I would have if the war ended and I was still a prisoner of war all of those years later. I don't know what I would honestly do in that situation but I promise you I would probably not be a good person or a nice human being. I almost cried when they embraced one another. Out of 36,000,000 human beings their paths cross again. I can relate you don't need to be related in order to be brothers. This is about compassion they both helped one another.

Last edited:

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
It was pretty good. but the farsi version they did almost 10 years ago was a bit more compelling.
The IRaqi guys is a pretty good Farsi Speaker.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
It was pretty good. but the farsi version they did almost 10 years ago was a bit more compelling.
The IRaqi guys is a pretty good Farsi Speaker.
Can you find the Farsi one? That would be really cool to watch and I know some Iraqi's who speak good Farsi, of course with a THICK Arabic accent but they speak Farsi.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Can you find the Farsi one? That would be really cool to watch and I know some Iraqi's who speak good Farsi, of course with a THICK Arabic accent but they speak Farsi.
I tried but I could not. I think it was done bbc or somebody like that. I think it was posted here many years ago.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
So karma is true ,he saved his life back then and now he is helping him rebuild his life , makes a great hollywood movie .

there is another footage on youtube during the battle to free Khoramshahr Iraqi chopper is shot down in between a mine field and an Iranian soldier risks his life to save this Iraqi crew man ,that was amazing too.

spinhead

Elite Member
Oct 24, 2002
United States of Amnesia
I've been going to Iran on the average once every two years for the past 12 years and I usually hire a car with the same driver to drive me from Tehran to one of the provincial capitals and back. I knew the driver had been a POW in Iraq but never asked him anything about it because I did not want him to remember bad memories. But this year somehow the conversation went that way and he opened up about his experiences. He was captured when he was 14 and spend 8 years in Iraq until the age of 22. The stuff he was talking about was incredible and definitely material for a best seller book. And I am 100% sure the stories were all true. He is a real genuine guy. For example he said that when they were captured, at the beginning Saddam put them on the back of flat bed trailer tractors and paraded them in Iraqi cities and people threw eggs and stuff at them. He said that while he was in the POW camp, whenever Iran started an operation (attack) against Iraq, the guards would take it out on the POWs. For example, they would add washing detergent to their food and make everyone sick. He said that once the MKO (Mojahedin Khalq Organization) representatives came to the camp and said that whoever wants can come with them and be free. He said that a few prisoners did leave with the MKO never to be heard of again. The stories were amazing. He told me about the time Iran and Iraq agreed to exchange prisoners. Both countries drove the POWs by buses to the border. The Iraqi POWs had all be given a box of cookies (shirini) to carry home and they had all been issued with brand new suits and were in relatively good spirit mentally and in good shape physically. In contrast, the Iranian POWs were still in the POW rags and they were all very weak and skinny. I asked him what they would do if one of them got sick in the camp and he said that the Iranian POWs themselves had doctors amongst them. He said that he was able to write home and had visits from the Red Cross. However, he said that Saddam had hidden a group of Iranian POWs from the Red Cross and those were the ones that were really terribly treated. Families had no news from them back home and thought of them as being dead. Perhaps the Iranian POW in this clip was one of those. That's why his family had made the shrine for him thinking he's MIA.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
spinhead, the stories are almost all true.

especially the story about MKO was corroborated by a Aramani Iranian Sarabaz. He was forced into MKO and it took something like 15 years to free himself of MKO.
I have myself heard the stories about folks being forced to walk over broken glass. and this is in red cross camps forget the hidden ones.

as for the IRaqi POW.s yes it is true sometimes Iranians were full of rage and killed folks who were supposed to be taken POW.
but by in large if you were not officer of Republican Guard you were treated ok in iran. if you chose to pray they even treated you better.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I tried but I could not. I think it was done bbc or somebody like that. I think it was posted here many years ago.
Darn well I appreciate you trying I don't even know where to begin to look for it if it was posted many years ago but I enjoyed it and Oghabealborz you are right and thank you for sharing that story. There also have been stories of Americans saving Iraqi lives one was a famous one the guy was chanting Allah Akbar while shooting at the marine. Well once the Marine shot him, the Marine then risked his life through the fire fight and then saved his life. His mom, "Why are they saying Allah Akbar why do they pray?" The insightful American, "Mom when we go to war, we pray to God, THEY DO THE SAME THING."
There are good and bad soldiers/marines in every country. In my own unit I would say half of the sailors and marines were good the other half were shitbags and I wanted to shoot them but obviously you can't do that otherwise you are going to get arrested. You have that in EVERY country you can't say, 'Oh because this guy is Iraqi I am not going to save his life." Well you can but you will be an as$hole if you do that.

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
I have a feeling part of story is fabricated. A POW with a grave has definitely happened but it was a rarity. Finding the Iraqi guy in Vancouver and recognizing him on a story and loose evidence is also pretty farfetched. Multiply the likelihood of them 2 stories and see how unlikely it can be. I believe in miracles but I believe in statistics more.

Good luck to him on his immigration application anyway.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
I have a feeling part of story is fabricated. A POW with a grave has definitely happened but it was a rarity. Finding the Iraqi guy in Vancouver and recognizing him on a story and loose evidence is also pretty farfetched. Multiply the likelihood of them 2 stories and see how unlikely it can be. I believe in miracles but I believe in statistics more.

Another hole: A pregnant girl friend in 1980s Iraq??

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
^^So after all that this story is fabricated or at least part of it is? Oh and yes graves of soldiers who were actually alive, that happened even in the US so that is not surprising. Pregnant GF in 1980's Iraq Dam I can't believe I missed that one. I think there are some truths to it overall I'm sure they went through some things and yes good luck with the Immigration, you'll need it. Of course it's not nearly as bad as USA. Forget about that one if you happen to be from one of those magic countries Iran, iraq, DPRK.

spinhead

Elite Member
Oct 24, 2002
United States of Amnesia
One point that puzzled we was that Najah is supposed to have "Served from 1980-2000." However, the Iran-Iraq war lasted only 8 years from 1980-1988. After that, even though the war had ended it took a few years for Iran and Iraq to agree on complete exchange of prisoners. But I am sure everything was resolved by early 1990's and they were not holding any POWs after that. So I don't understand how and why Najah would be a POW until year 2000! The only reason I can think of is that after Iran and Iraq agreed to exchange prisoners some of the Iraqi POWs, particularly Shiites decided to stay in Iran voluntarily. He may have been one of them.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
One point that puzzled we was that Najah is supposed to have "Served from 1980-2000." However, the Iran-Iraq war lasted only 8 years from 1980-1988. After that, even though the war had ended it took a few years for Iran and Iraq to agree on complete exchange of prisoners. But I am sure everything was resolved by early 1990's and they were not holding any POWs after that. So I don't understand how and why Najah would be a POW until year 2000! The only reason I can think of is that after Iran and Iraq agreed to exchange prisoners some of the Iraqi POWs, particularly Shiites decided to stay in Iran voluntarily. He may have been one of them.
It is true an overwhelming majority of POW exchanges happened before 1990 Desert Storm operation.

but there was POW exchanges even till 1995 or so. I remember Iranian news talking about during the 90s

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field

I get the same feeling when I go and buy a lotto ticket ,thinking it is throwing money away with those kind of 14 million to 1 chance ,but then again somebody somewhere win it and it could be me or ME ! I mean you !:)

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
That video is a wonderful one, like a miracle how those two guys met eachother in Canada. However as that iraqi said, he has never seen or heard of iranians having mercy with iraqis during the fight which tells us a lot about "delrahmi" of us iranians. He was just lucky to have met an iranian child on the battle field still not pumped and ruined with that agressive shiite and governmental anti-iraqi propaganda. Not that i think delrahmi is something very common among other nations soldiers, no not at all, but we iranians tend to sell ourselves as delsooz o delrahm while painting our opponents as some people eating demons and the comments here are an indication of this kind of mentality. I have been to that war aswell and i have seen iraqis having mercy on iranians too and i have seen how our people shot people who were trying to give up. The most ridiculous bullshit i read here was the remark with iraqi soldiers being released with a box of shirini. Fuck that box of shirini (if its true at all). Treat them like shit over a decade and more and then release them with box of shirini infront of TV to make propaganda. Deceiteful shiite stuff as usual. They were not treated well either. There is a little pizzeria in Stuttgart owned by bunch of nice iraqi guys and i like their pizza and pasta they are arguably the best. There are two iraqi christians (Assyrian), two iraqi moslems...and we have learned to be good friends whenver we sit down in their pizzeria together to have a dinner. Believe me i know them for 10 years but that one iraqi cook, still cant stand me and i see it in his face and i love it that he is not trying to fool me and play act the friend. They all like me but i just couldnt find any access to this one single guy. I asked his collegues and they told me he was a POW in Iran. They told me he is able to speak persian very well but he refuses...we went together to other bars and restaurants but always refused to come with us. One day we sat in their restaurant and it was late in the night, every one else was out of restaurant and they were having a few shots among themselves and the guy all of a sudden came out of the kitchen and sat around the same table as i was and that was the first time he did such a thing: sitting around the same table as me. It became a memorable extended night till early morning. We drank a lot and he told his stories and he still refused to even look into my face, he was a proud guy and he didnt even look into my face as he told us why he didnt like the persians. It was a hell of a story, such a big guy, with a mustache, he was taken as prisoner late into the war during the time the iranians were attacking the iraqis to capture basra. He was being taken as prisoner on iraqi soil and treated like shit over years. he told us that shiite iraqi POW who were willing to obey, to lie to please the iranian authorities were treated better than sunnis who werent willing to wear khomeinis pictures infront of TVs, nor celebrating ashoora tasooa and a lot of other stories. As he heard about my story being a soldier at those times aswell, i could see a bit more respect but also a bit more hate in his eyes. he wanted to know when i entered the war and i told him. A few times he asked me "what did your mullah want in iraq?" and i couldnt sugar coat anything, i told him what i have talked about on this site a few times aswell. I told him that i know everything about that war and how the story of war has been systematically rewritten in favor of the iranians and the mullahs...He started to listen and i could see in his face he was wondering how an iranian could be open to talk about the reality of that war and not just like out of a position of a dumb prick pumped with the usual propaganda material of the west and IR. After so many years, i have brought him to the point that he at least says hello whenver i enter that Pizzeria and asks me if everything is ok.

What i am trying to say is, we are no angels, lets not tap on our shoulders and sell ourselves as some "rahim" people. We are not, we just lie and fabricate more stories than other people.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Another hole: A pregnant girl friend in 1980s Iraq??
This is not a hole ZA jan. Iraq under the Baath party was a secular country and sharia law had no say in peoples life. They were the most advanced people with the most advanced civil laws in our region. Yes, Saddam (just like anybody else in our region) was a dictator but he probably had to be the way he was to keep that country together. However he kept religion and religious laws out of the civil society and it was absolutely nothing impossible to be unmarried and have a pregnant girl friend back then in Iraq. Sure, like in Iran under Shah you atleast had to win the heart of the family or the one of the woman but it was not like you were automatically dead man walking hunted by the whole state just because your unmarried girlfriend became pregnant. Look the Iraqis had the best night life in the whole middle east along with the lebanese. These same filthy kuwaities used to regularly pass the border to go over to iraq to experience a little bit of freedom and night life in Basra, something that was denied to them in their own country due to their strict islamic laws. One of the things people of Basra always hated was the drunk kuwaities on their streets who couldnt handle alcohol and started being annoying and disturbing to local people. Many times, their drunk and almost dead corpses had to be picked off the streets the morning after by local people and police. What i am trying to say is, we iranians do have some real corrupt views from iraq and iraqis as a result of decades of horrible propangda about that country and its people. In fact its waaaay more dangerous to have a pregnant girl friend in Iran under IR than in Iraq under Saddam.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
This is not a hole ZA jan. Iraq under the Baath party was a secular country and sharia law had no say in peoples life. They were the most advanced people with the most advanced civil laws in our region. Yes, Saddam (just like anybody else in our region) was a dictator but he probably had to be the way he was to keep that country together. However he kept religion and religious laws out of the civil society and it was absolutely nothing impossible to be unmarried and have a pregnant girl friend back then in Iraq. Sure, like in Iran under Shah you atleast had to win the heart of the family or the one of the woman but it was not like you were automatically dead man walking hunted by the whole state just because your unmarried girlfriend became pregnant. Look the Iraqis had the best night life in the whole middle east along with the lebanese. These same filthy kuwaities used to regularly pass the border to go over to iraq to experience a little bit of freedom and night life in Basra, something that was denied to them in their own country due to their strict islamic laws. One of the things people of Basra always hated was the drunk kuwaities on their streets who couldnt handle alcohol and started being annoying and disturbing to local people. Many times, their drunk and almost dead corpses had to be picked off the streets the morning after by local people and police. What i am trying to say is, we iranians do have some real corrupt views from iraq and iraqis as a result of decades of horrible propangda about that country and its people. In fact its waaaay more dangerous to have a pregnant girl friend in Iran under IR than in Iraq under Saddam.
There is no doubt Iraq's gov't was secular but their people are more mazhabi than ours. During the Shah we were also secular but we rarely heard a girlfriend getting pregnant and if that would happen it would be kept on the hush hush. I don't know it could have happened but it is unlikely.