My take on the next coach of Iran!

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Guys, I've come to the realisation that it doesn't matter who the next coach of TM is. Whether its Hiddink or MK it won't make much of a difference to our football in the long term. Sure, Hiddink maybe able to get us to a world cup and win the Asian Cup, but what happens after he leaves??

What we actually need more than anything is a complete overhaul of everything to do with football in our country. I mean everything! We need to invest in youth development, we need to set up academies to nurture potential and talent. The infrastructure needs to be put in place to bring the 12-13 year olds with raw talent all the way up to senior level. We need to mentor these guys making sure they stay on the straight and narrow. We need to make sure they don't fall victim to complacency, bad habits (both on and off the field) etc. Our league needs to be professional in more than just its name so they can support the youngsters coming in. We need training grounds, we need training facilities, we need fitness coaches, we need conditioning coaches, sports psychologists, nutritionists.

Wake up! We are falling way behind in Asia (let alone the world). Its only a matter of time before the likes of Qatar, Oman, UAE, Bahrain, Jordan, Syria and others completely overtake us. They've all been improving, we have at best stayed the same.

Bringing in a second or third rate foreign coach is not the answer to TM problems. Even bringing in a first rate coach like a Hiddink, a Lippi or a Scolari will be a band aid but will not fix any of the above. If you always do, what you always did, you will always get what you always got! And we've always got diddly squat!

While our team with an abundance of experienced heads shit themselves every time we get in a knockout game, Korea is in the semis with the core of their squad between 19-22 years of age (their oldest goal scorer in the tournament is a 21 year old). Japan keeps winning from behind and a man down. They are now 20 years ahead of us (they've had a pro league for 18 years and if we start the ball rolling it will at least take 3-4 years to set one up). Korea is atleast 15 years ahead of us (once again a long established league and infrastructure at all levels). Even fucking Uzbekistan is knocking on the door!

Wake up people. If things don't change, expect the same shit from the last 30 years for the next 30 years! A National team coach is not going to change our fortunes. The era of getting results based on mediocrity are over. If things continue as they are, we'd struggle to make the second round of qualifying for the world cup as we won't be in the top 8-10 in Asia.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
Good realisation. In reality we needed this 2 decades ago. I said years ago it doesn't matter who the coach is, and that's why I found all the threads about Branko/Ivic/Daei/Ghotbi completely irrelevant and never participated in them.

Our players lack the most basic knowledge. There are good technical players, sure, but we are not talking about gol koochik football where you can do what you like. At international level individual skills count for little. You need basic mature understanding of the game, when to pass, when to move, what position on the pitch etc etc.
On so many occasions in these championships our players showed that they have none of these.

derakht az rishe kharaabe.

May 12, 2007
Those things are never realistic under IRI. If you want to build a team from begining use Bora. But if we already have a team use Philip Trousier. I say these guys will qulify Iran for the world cup and perhaps more. Parvin is right. Iran is behind South Korea. But he is not right that only Iranian coaches can do it. We made progress under Branko. So upgrading our coaches is the key.
He also admited that Ghotbi used the wrong players at least in 4 position. TM didn't show "chango dandoon". Which was why Koreans kept attacking us.

Last edited:

The Matrix

Bench Warmer
Jul 25, 2007
Your right about everything. But do you honestly think anything will change under that government or this regime overall?

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Excellent post as usual Pezhman jan.one couldnt say it better. :)

Your right about everything. But do you honestly think anything will change under that government or this regime overall?
it can, if they start caring and stop interfering with high-level football management as they do now.

There was a time period in the last 30 yrs, that IFF had more authority to make decisions and change things.
but in the last 10 years, it been a huge downhill in all aspect of our football.

And its only getting worse, when stupid AN merged our Sport Ministry with Youth Ministry. so it gets far less budget and significance now.

The Matrix

Bench Warmer
Jul 25, 2007
Excellent post as usual Pezhman jan.one couldnt say it better. :)

it can, if they start caring and stop interfering with high-level football management as they do now.

There was a time period in the last 30 yrs, that IFF had more authority to make decisions and change things.
but in the last 10 years, it been a huge downhill in all aspect of our football.

And its only getting worse, when stupid AN merged our Sport Ministry with Youth Ministry. so it gets far less budget and significance now.
That's what their not going to do, start caring! Until we have this dictatorship kind of government and this regime nothing is going to improve fully! It may improve a little bit but it will never be at that potential it could and should be at!

eerooni

Bench Warmer
Nov 9, 2002
Toronto
Its funny how every qualified coach gives their long term plan to IFF to use long after they have gone and IFF still manages to frack things up!!! Ghotbi TWICE mentioned that he had left a detailed development plan with IFF that should cover all aspects of our national teams on all levels, Im sure IFF people are using it but only as " Roo meezee" !!!..

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
well I am not very hopeful about who is takin over , it will probabley be another opportunist or balls polisher , but I hope who ever it is be a bit more brave ,have a bit of balls or gutts , be a man for every occasion .

this is the least of my expectations ...

BehzadB

Bench Warmer
Feb 18, 2006
Shooshtar
there is one thing I like to add..

While we are falling behind in Football, looking at other sports we are advancing (progressing).. Basketball, Volleyball for example. these are team sports as well that require preparation, conditioning, team work, youth programs..etc.. Basketball and Volleyball progressed under the same IR, in the same country the same conditions,..etc

I think the difference is that "football", has a lot of money in it.. for all sides..
But who the hell cares about basketball or volleyball..right?

So the one thing that has to happen for our football to even begin any sort of progress is for the Government to privatize football.. once that happens I think we be on our way.. but as long as that doesn't happen, anything that we might see as progress would be a temporary fix..

Just as an example: People argued (some still do) that Iran's football progressed under Branko, and although I think highly of Branko as a coach, I disagree with that notion.. If we had progressed with him (who was our coach for 5 years), what happened in 2007, only a year after he had left? where was the progress..

So , being happy that we were number 20 on FIFA ranking system didn't translate to real progress because progress MUST be lasting to worth something.

Privatize football and then we can talk about progress..

There are many IPL players that don't deserve half the money they get paid.. A private ownership would not waste money like that (or if they did, they wake up soon enough to stop it).. A government owned entity (like all IPL teams, except maybe ESTEEL), wouldn't care because the money belongs to nobody.. "Beit-ol-mal" means money that belongs to "NOBODY"...

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Is this the only problem of our country ? the next coach ?

Let's start with not giving bad fuel to our country men so they don't die in the streets of Tehran of diseases and .... and ....
then if we solve everything, the football will take care of itself ...