My take on the refereeing in WC2010

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Poor refereeing has plagued every tournament in my living memory but generally the level of play and the drama of the momentum changes in games itself made one put those to the side.

I think the reason why this time around there seems to be more press against the refereeing errors was simply that there was nothing else for journalists to talk about! The games themselves sucked so bad that the referee mistakes were magnified 100 fold!

I think on the whole the refs did a reasonable job. Offside calls were remarkably more accurate than any other tournament I've witnessed. I'd say they got at least 90% of them correct. Obvisouly, it'd be better if they got them 100% correct. I think if there was any scope to introduce technology to assist the referees it should be in this area more so than "goal line technology". Lets face it, how many times was there conjecture over whether the ball had crossed the goal line or not? (twice from my memory).

The other facet that needs to be looked at is diving and play acting. I don't know what else to say. Its something that always seems very high on FIFA's agenda yet they seem to do fuck all about it. I've been screaming retrospective suspensions for divers for years but so far it seems to be falling on deaf ears! A 2 match ban for a first time offender will quickly eradicate this cancer from football.

I also think there should be consistency within the referees themselves in a big tournament like this. You had some referees who were handing out cards from minute one for minor tackles and then there were some that would let you get away with blue murder. This is something that needs to be addressed.

Other than that I don't think the refs were any better or worse than previous tournaments.

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I agree with everything you said except the 90% remark. Based on my observation they barely got 60% of them right.
On average there's about 7 or 8 offside calls per game (including offsides that are not called). 60% accuracy would suggest they'd get 2-3 wrong per game. you're of course entitled to disagree but I don't think that was the case. I based my 90% on getting about 2 decisions wrong every 3 games which I think is a fair reflection on what happened.

Kian Pars

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2005
I think Ravshan Ermatov the referee from Uzbakistan did a very good job, much better than all european and latino referees.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
Overall I don't think the refereeing was that poor in this tournament. Every WC or EC has its fair share of bad calls but hey refs are only human. Remember 2002 with South Korea and Italy? I don't think this tournament got anywhere near as bad.

The reason refereeing gets so much coverage is because people have been asking for technology to be used in football for a long time while the dinasaurs at FIFA refuse to use the simplest things to help out the poor refs. So the media, seeing this, goes into hysterics about it. 30 years ago the technology wasn't easily accessible so refereeing mistakes weren't magnified. Now they are, so FIFA has no choice but to use it.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
One more thing about this diving. FIFA keeps putting pressure on the referees to deal with it but this only makes the referee's job more impossible because some of it happens so quick and subtle.

FIFA should puts its money where its mouth is and clamp down hard on these cheats. All they need to do is punish cheats by reviewing video evidence after each match. Punish them by 3 match bans and I bet you anything that soon, almost immediately players will stop diving around.

But FIFA doesn't want to. That's the problem. They don't want to touch anything, instead they are happy to give more responsibility to the refs which is illogical and unreasonable.

Mehran(ISP)

<b>Administrator</b>
Oct 16, 2002
MD, USA
I agree with the 90% mark. The only difference is that the 10% mistakes in this tournament were game altering mistakes that basically could of, and did eliminate some teams from making it to the next round based on the "what could of happened" if the mistake wasn't made.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
I think Ravshan Ermatov the referee from Uzbakistan did a very good job, much better than all european and latino referees.
Agreed. He was head and shoulders above the rest but his disadvantage is that he is from Uzbekistan and doesnt have the reputation to get a final. Its a shame.

I also liked Frank De Bleeckere the belgian referee. If not Ermatov then they atleast should give the final game to him and not to that english sucker Webb.