my thoughts on ghalenoei and the 4-3-3 system!

ball_hugger

Bench Warmer
Feb 11, 2005
I really hate this 4-3-3 tactic,,, its meant as an attacking style but it pretty much turns into 4-2-1-3 with ando/neko playing exactly the same way in the same spot and I am sure no matter what anybody tells these two they will subcontiously play the same way, because they are so used to it...

it lalso eaves ALOT of room on the wings and turns it into kick ball pretty much, especially since rezaei and hosseini like play making from our own third and honestly they REALLY SUCK at it...

ghalenoe is basically putting all the stars in the field much like brangoh with the acception of daei if no media/fan pressure I am sure he would also be playing,, the only change he has made is to play 433 instead of 451,,, no tactics no team work nothing else,,,,I am a esteghlali but I say this: ghalenoey and 'most' iranian coaches are selfish cowards and dumb, now this doesnt mean brangoh/blazevich werent or that foreign coaches are billinon times better but you guys know what i mean....

being a soccer coach is a VERY TECHNICAL job, just because he played very well at some point doesnt mean he can be a good coach also, if he had balls and was actually a soccer coach he would replace karimi/kia/hashemian/rezaei with new and younger players that are hungry for recognition,, anybody notice if it wasnt for hosseini/kazemian (young/hungry players) we would have lost last game!!!

I think we should be playing 3-5-2 we have the players for it and also our attacking style is more suited for this:

I think this team would be much better if worked on,

---------------------------------------------roudbarian-------------------------------------------

------------------------hosseini------------agheili---------------sadeghi-------------------------

kaebi-----------kazemian-----------teymourian----------shojae/nekounam------------madanchi/zandi

------------------------enayati/akbarpour/hashemian/karimi----------------------------

I would put away kia for good, rezaei only as a sub if ever the need be, and we need to pick nekonam or teymourian there just isnt room for both on the same team,,,,and I think teymourian is a better pick right now,,, on the sides kaebi and madanchi are both strong and fast and can run up and down the field all day, and int he back I think agheili is our current best and future best sweaper so why not introduce him to international soccer now instead of hangin on our previouse now aging star like rezaie, until he messes up and scores an own goal, give the ball away in the box and/or cause a penalty, btw he almost did give the uzbeks a penalty all these in one game thats pretty bad IMO. a game vs S.A. or a big name east asian team and the ref would have called it for sure even though it wasnt,

I just personally feel we need major fundamental changes in our football team/federation/people/country to be able to achieve what we think we can or are able to achieve and I dont see any of this happening anytime soon...

sorry about the rant, but I hope we can pull something this time though,, you know even if our team sucks we are iranians and we can do anything at anygiven point no matter what, lose to crapy teams win big tournies,

just hope its time for the latter :)

hshduppsnt

Bench Warmer
Aug 23, 2004
sorry I just can't agree with a post that claims to put away Kia for good.

We played a 3 back a few times in the past year if I'm not mistaken and it was a disaster every time.

I really think for our system a 4-2-3-1 is the best available solution (or a 4-1-2-2-1)
Allowing for the five midfielders to be (in no particular order) karimi, kia, ando, nekounam, zandi (or madanchi if you insist on putting zandi at lb).

And Hashemian up front. This gives generally 3 or 4 guys to help attack for Hashemian... which I think we have shown works well for our team. Clogging the midfield with the talent we have is a good idea. It prevents defensive attacks somewhat and really allows for us to counter and push forward quickly, along with small passes since we have a lot of guys near by, which suits our style much more than long passes.

So in this regard I agree with your five man midfield. Its really just the D and a lack of Kia (at least for now - I understand trying to give young guys more time but he is not easily replaced.)

ball_hugger

Bench Warmer
Feb 11, 2005
I mean yes its kind of too late to make the changes I think are needed for the china or even the rest of the asian games but it should have been done during the camp, I mean kia is still a pretty good player but I didnt see him do anything but that corner which resulted in the goal, that any other player couldnt do! when he starts he is no where near what he used to be if you compare him to about 3-4yrs ago he runs like the video is in slowmotion,,,,I mean its the law of nature these guys karimi/kia/neku/rezaei have made all the money and achieved much more than they could have ever imagined from when playing on dirt fields in some village in iran,, it's only natural for them not to be hungry anymore, but its the coaches responsibility to realize this and replace them accordingly.

also the 3-5-2 will work if the team is arranged properly, i mean we played this during the 96 asian cup, 98 world cup and we can all agree that team showed some of the best football iran has ever played, kaebi/madanchi should be doing what kia/minavand used to do, hashemian/enayati do what daei did and karimi/shojaei what azizi did, plus in defense we have better players than what we had (peyrovani, OSTAD, khakpour was actually ok)..... the only problem is we dont have someone as good as taking shots like bagheri, so we are kind of stuck there but that is more of a team problem and not system problem!!!

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
ball_bugger: you made some interesting points. I agree with some of them and disagree with others.

I think we (the coach) should not be affraid to put aside the big names for more hungry youngsters. Mahdavikia has become much slower than before but he's still one of our best players. IMO, he's better than Kazemian as the right wing. So I wouldn't leave him out. Also Nekounam is the "engine" of TM. IMO, he's our most important player of all and I don't know how, out of all the players, you say you'd put him aside? :eek: I also think that there is room for both him and Teymourian in TM at the same time.

But other than that, I agree we could replace many of our big names including Rezaei with younger players. Also as I've said before, I wouldn't mind to replace Hashemian with a younger player. But unfortunately we don't have any on the bench. So at the moment, among what we have I'd still pick Hashemian.

Anyways, interesting post!

ball_hugger

Bench Warmer
Feb 11, 2005
I know its pretty hard but kia really hanst made the good crosses he used to make into the box in ages, I know neko is the engine of our team but thats because we have let him be, maybe we could have other players that are better we simply dont know because we havent given anyone a good shot at the post plus nekonam hasnt made a decent through ball for the forwards in a long time also(he sucks at this btw) and these are the minimum required from players at their positions, I think teymourian also sucks at making through ball behind the defence( although he did make the one vs usbeks if I am not mistaking) but in general you need your central midfielder to be able to do these things...

the combo of neko/navikia worked so well because one was good helping out the defense and the other the attack with the through balls, but when you got 2players that play like one is a clone of the other you are gona be hurting one side pretty bad, and if you gona be playing 4-3-3 it means less crosses are gona be coming in because your wings are gona have to travel from further behind generally so all you have is through balls from the midfield to behind the opponents defence which is gona be hard for neko or teymourian to make!!

I know kia plays in hamburg and rezaei in italy but if we have realized one thing with these guys being able to play at some of the european big clubs is as far as talent goes we have ALOT of players in our football that are able to play in europe we just need to find them,,, just think if mayeli kohan hadnt picked kia/azizi/bagheri etc these players soccer careers could have easily gone in a different way, when players arnt utilized at their peak they loose motivation/interest, and I think we have and are doing this to alot of our players right now by not letting them grow, just look at australia I mean viduka was gased in the 98 game vs iran I cant believe he is still playing same for kewel, and u see what happened to them. these players have all the money/girls/attention and he world at their feet why should they bother with asian cup!!

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Well, I really don't agree with you about Nekounam. Firstly I have to mention that him and Teymourian have both 2 totally different styles. Teymourian is more of a ball winner, so is Nekounam but the latter is more of a play maker. I agree with you about Navidkia. At his prime he was probably the best in sending "through balls to the forwards" but I don't think Nekounam sucks in that by any means. I've seen Nekounam doing that many times and judging by his defensive abilities, shots and headers, I have to say he's the best we have in his position at the moment. He's not a complete player as Karim Bagheri was... but in fact, IMO, at the moment nobody else but him is as closest as it gets to a complete player in Iran.