My uncle asked me why Iran Lost, here is my response

yashar

Ball Boy
Nov 8, 2002
Texas
We lost to our coach. Some might say that well we lost because of the mistake that our defender and goal keeper made, but there is fact in football and that is you do not attack and if you do not control the midfield eventually because of pressure you are going to make some mistake and that is going to cost you. By law of statistics this is also true. So you want to attack you want to put the pressure on the defenders and midfield of the other team so that cannot think and you want to make passes always under pressure, well we did not do that because our attack was so old that we were not making the defenders of Mexico run, and they could do play making and even come up the field at points and add to their attack. We should have young players up front up running and pressing the defenders the other team so that they would be able to do playing making, we need fast players up front where they could out run the defenders of Mexico and make them so sacred so that they would play closer to their own goal with that effect naturally the mid field of Mexico also would have gone back a little to be closer to their defense line and therefore the attacking force would have become less, and therefore less chance for mistake.

It was NOT Rahman Rezaee’s fault, it was our strikers and it was our stupid coach who did not change them.

Another point is that in the current 4-4-2 system there is no last sweeper and therefore the goal keepers are playing that role, for being a sweeper you need to have a good foot work, but our goal keeper lack that, therefore it is not good to play 4-4-2 where you do not have a goal keeper who has those mentioned capabilities.

Jun 9, 2006
It was Rahman and mirzapurs fault. No other way to put. They should apoligize like the Ghanain did to their nation-- kafour relaspe against Italy.

Ali(ISP)

Tottenham till I die
Oct 16, 2002
Southampton, UK
i kinda agree with your response, but let me add one thing to it (i am not sure if tv cameras showed this or not).

i was in the stadium watching the game. 5-6 players were warming up behind the goal for most of the second half. around 5 minutes before mexico's second goal, chalangar was sent by branko to tell borhani and khatibi to warm up more serious as they were gonna go in. so they did some pretty hard warming up exercises, and they were both ready to go in. but bang, bang, iran was 3-1 down. borhani still came on, but khatibi was never sent in.

i feel like branko was just 3-4 minutes too late. if he was a bit quicker with his thinking, we would have had both borhani and khatibi on the pitch. he saw it, but he saw it too late. in football every second matters.

May 15, 2003
I really dont know how you cant blame Mirzapour and Rezaei. First that kick is unacceptable at any professional level and Rezaei should have just cleared that ball. But I also agree with Ali that had we brought in a couple subs things probably could have changed in our favor. Bringing in the forementioned, Khatibi and Borhani would have brought speed to the frontline and could have possibly created a goal. At that point neither team's defense was gonna allow a build up for a goal so some sort of brilliance was needed. Im sad we lost because the way we lost but Im looking forward to Portugal.

Payam

News Team
Oct 18, 2002
Earth
www.iransportspress.com
I blame Mirzapour, not Rezaei. I believe the ball was at a hard angle to bring down from the header of the Mexican player. It's not his fault. He was pretty solid that day and without him we would have conceeded many more goals.

JazzedUp

Bench Warmer
Dec 1, 2002
London
Ali(ISP) said:
i kinda agree with your response, but let me add one thing to it (i am not sure if tv cameras showed this or not).

i was in the stadium watching the game. 5-6 players were warming up behind the goal for most of the second half. around 5 minutes before mexico's second goal, chalangar was sent by branko to tell borhani and khatibi to warm up more serious as they were gonna go in. so they did some pretty hard warming up exercises, and they were both ready to go in. but bang, bang, iran was 3-1 down. borhani still came on, but khatibi was never sent in.

i feel like branko was just 3-4 minutes too late. if he was a bit quicker with his thinking, we would have had both borhani and khatibi on the pitch. he saw it, but he saw it too late. in football every second matters.
That's certainly interesting to know. Amazing just a few minutes could change all you plans and ruin everything. However I still don't understand why Karimi was replaced by Madanchi and not someone like Shojaie who can fill in the playmaker role.

Sep 11, 2005
iranystill said:
It was Rahman and mirzapurs fault. No other way to put. They should apoligize like the Ghanain did to their nation-- kafour relaspe against Italy.
buddy, you need to go watch some soccer and come back to post when u actually have something worthwhile to contribute. In the meantime, please go play w/your leggos

halftime

Bench Warmer
Nov 24, 2004
kinda agree with your response, but let me add one thing to it (i am not sure if tv cameras showed this or not).

Thanks for the info Ali, I wasn’t at the game, Didn’t know the subs were warming up just before Mexico scored the second.

I would love to know what Branco’s team talks were at half time. Did he have a plan B and discussed it with the players at half time? Branco must have known that Karimi was not fully fit and Daie doesn’t have the legs to last 90 minutes. Why did he wait so long before deciding to change?

BTW hats off to you guys for attending the game and supporting the team.

Go Iran

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
yashar said:
We lost to our coach. Some might say that well we lost because of the mistake that our defender and goal keeper made, but there is fact in football and that is you do not attack and if you do not control the midfield eventually because of pressure you are going to make some mistake and that is going to cost you. By law of statistics this is also true. So you want to attack you want to put the pressure on the defenders and midfield of the other team so that cannot think and you want to make passes always under pressure, well we did not do that because our attack was so old that we were not making the defenders of Mexico run, and they could do play making and even come up the field at points and add to their attack. We should have young players up front up running and pressing the defenders the other team so that they would be able to do playing making, we need fast players up front where they could out run the defenders of Mexico and make them so sacred so that they would play closer to their own goal with that effect naturally the mid field of Mexico also would have gone back a little to be closer to their defense line and therefore the attacking force would have become less, and therefore less chance for mistake.

It was NOT Rahman Rezaee’s fault, it was our strikers and it was our stupid coach who did not change them.

Another point is that in the current 4-4-2 system there is no last sweeper and therefore the goal keepers are playing that role, for being a sweeper you need to have a good foot work, but our goal keeper lack that, therefore it is not good to play 4-4-2 where you do not have a goal keeper who has those mentioned capabilities.
excellent man...it shows that you play and understand football. excellent post!

PLF

Ball Boy
Jun 13, 2006
Excellent post Yashar and that's what I've been saying all along since the game on IK forums. Problem is nobody even reads threads much.. they just post and once you make a nice good post, they make new threads about same thing with different title lol.. (I'm new to PErsian forums but I'm already getting the trend haha).

I love how some people say we played a good game till 75th minute lol and then lost due to INDIVIDUAL mistakes!! It shows they don't know $hit or are watching a different game.

We only played well for 45 mins! After that it was a horrific performance and we were lucky not to go down before they finally scored 2nd goal after all that pressure on us which the coach was doing NOTHING About (and as usual didn't want to prevent goal lol... he wanted to make sure we go down... we're fucked and tHEN give Borhani 10 mins to possibly do miracle!!!) instead of bringing in fresh young legs from striker position and midfield to presure the Mexicans to not attack at us with such ease and no worries!!

God I hate f'n Branko and whoever is dictating this stuff cuz they don't undertand CRAP about football... not even simplest tasks that we could've done to prevent from going down was taken by Branko! Makes me think there really was some conspiracy theories or he's the worst manager alive!!!

halftime

Bench Warmer
Nov 24, 2004
I think Branco’s tactics were spot on for the first hour of the game. The thing is you could not dominate a game for full 90 minutes, very rarely a team does that. There are going to be times during the game that you are going to be on the back foot. If you can soak the pressure and get through that then you could change the game from the bench and look for a winner.

We had an excellent first half, did well in the second half not conceding early. Mexico had a lot of the ball but there was no real pressure on our defence, They were holding their line pretty well and Mirza was actually doing well collecting the occasional cross to take the pressure off the defence. I think Branco’s inability to see that you could not go on holding for another 30/25 minutes was the key.

Go Iran

Mar 2, 2003
yashar said:

It is rare that I read a message on this board that I fully concur with. However, I agree completely with your post. Intelligent post. Well done.

Apr 5, 2006
Hi Guys signing in from Munich having driven across from London to see the 3 matches (just for info). My observations

- Daie lacks pace and physically is not the old Daei who was exclllent in the air, hence not adding value, needs to be left out.
- When on the pitch he expects long balls to be crossed in for him to finish and he can not.
- We need pace in the team to break the offside trap, Borhani, Khatobi or possibly Kazemian.
- We need a change of keeper, Roodbarian faired well in Bonis match I beileve.
- Re Mexico match their coach made three changes to around and at half time to bring pace into the team one of the subs scored.
- We lack physical stamina hence Branco should have subbed at half time to re energise the team.

One final observations winning teams have winning mentality, drawing parallels with France may not be correct but does illustrate that there are possibilties. Frrance 98 - openning match France lost to Senegal (I think) Shock to the sýstem, they went on on win the world cup.

I optimistically hopeful, that we could do it, but it requires radical changes in the line up, starting with no Daei.

mt74i

Ball Boy
Aug 18, 2003
Houston
Branko lost the coaching duel. After watching the game for the third time, here is what he should have done immediately: 1) Bring in Shojaei for Karimi to control midfield 2) and BIG GUESS.....TAKE DAIE OUT and brought either Borhani, Khatibi or Kazemian... Enayati would have been too slow against Mexico's speedy pace. Let's see what we do in next game.