NBA teams forbidden to sign any Iranian nationals.

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser
It's not BS. It's the law of the land. It's not about mixing politics and sports. The fact is that NBA contracts are often multi-million dollar deals. You cannot negotiate with an Iranian when there is that potential. If it was a few thousand bucks you would not have that problem.The NBA is merely protecting itself from the Feds.

Oct 18, 2002
Farsi Zaban jaan:

The amount of the contract is immaterial. It is illegal to do business with an Iranian national (who is not also a Permanent Resident or Citizen of the United States) even if the contract amount is a single penny. The only way you can do so as an American entity is to obtain a "license" from the Department of Treasury's Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC), which is what the NBA is in the process of doing.

Behrang Jaan:

The 300 million or so cigerattes you refer to were exported legally to Iran after the exporters obtained a license from OFAC to do so. That is exactly the license the NBA is applying for in order to enable one of its teams to sign the player. These licenses could take only a few weeks to issue, so we should know the result pretty quickly.

Apr 9, 2004
I thought the law says you can't do business with Iran as a country or businesses in Iran. I'm not into politics so I might be wrong. I still think when it comes to sports and an individual joining the "National" basketball association then all should have equal oportunity in participating regardless of their naturalization.

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser
Farsi Zaban jaan:

The amount of the contract is immaterial. It is illegal to do business with an Iranian national (who is not also a Permanent Resident or Citizen of the United States) even if the contract amount is a single penny. The only way you can do so as an American entity is to obtain a "license" from the Department of Treasury's Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC), which is what the NBA is in the process of doing.
That's interesting. Maybe these are the enhancements to the old statute which has recentely been renewed. Because as I recall, they used to allow business if under a certain dollar amount. But now that I think about it, it would have been $10-12 mil which I doubt any team would offer.

Oct 18, 2002
Farsi Zaban jaan:

What you may be recalling is the $20 million threshold that was set by a law called ILSA (Iran-Libya Sanctions Act) which called for US sanctions against non-US companies investing more than that amount in Iran's oil and gas sector. As long as your investment in Iran was less than $20 million, you were OK, but if you went above that amount (which in the oil and gas industry is almost impossible not to do) you were subject to US scrutiny and possible sanctions. I do not, however, know of any non-US companies that were ever actually sanctioned under ILSA.

ILSA is an old statute. A few years ago, the US enacted newer restrictions that prohibited American entities from conducting ANY business in ANY amount for ANY purpose with ANY Iranian entity, UNLESS a license to do engage in such business were granted by OFAC. The law specifically states that medical, agricultural, and humanitarian businesses may be conducted UNDER license from OFAC. Almost no other business is allowed.

These regulation has had some strange consequences. That is why TEOFL and GRE cannot test Iranian students directly in Iran - if they did, they would have to accept payment from them, and that is prohibited under the law. This may also have been behind a movement to throw out all Iranians from IEEE a few years ago, because membership of those people in the American-based IEEE may have constituted a business transaction with an Iranian citizen under the law. Normally, these problems are addressed by the American entity applying for a license to OFAC to do business with the Iranian entities it wants to deal with. Once the license is granted, they can legally do their thing.

Oct 18, 2002
Sportsdoc jaan,

The law specifically bars business with any Iranian ENTITY, defining an ENTITY to be (1) any Iranian citizen who is not a US citizen or permanent resident, or (2) any Iranian company - either private or governmental. I am going from my memory here. It's been several years since I read the law, so the definition is not precise. But I do recall specifically that it applied to Iranian individuals as well as companies and the government.

Dec 12, 2002
usa
well,the afew americans who are playing in iran's league would also get contracts from third party country,they can't be hired directly.however they gave azizi a contract.the sanction you guys are referring to is dematto act which the amount of contract not to exceed of 40 mil if i am not mistaken and that was the time of bill clinton.i still think hamed gets a favourite attention in nba and media recently.maybe that guy stern the isreali guy head of nba is trying to make a big ass out of himself . i am just making a conspiracy theory here.

Apr 9, 2004
Well, the commissioner David Stern was the one that authorized for Iran to play the Jazz I believe so I don't think he would entirely be against it. Plus, when Iran came to play the Jazz I'm sure some sort of $$ was exchanged so wouldn't that have been illegal??

Oct 20, 2003
Please look after what happened to the $80 Billion stolen money from Iran's treasury instead:shocked:
I sure am. But first I need to know the exact amount, let's see, was it $30,000,000,000, or $85,000,000,000 or $80,000,000,000. You have given three numbers so far. Fix the amount so I can go after it :).

Javeed

National Team Player
Nov 12, 2002
http://www.asriran.com/view.php?id=50423

صدای امریکا:به تيم های ليگ بسکتبال حرفه ای آمريکا، اجازه داده شده است با حامد حدادی بسکتباليست بيست و سه ساله تيم ملی بسکتبال ايران، برای بستن قرارداد وارد مذاکره شوند.

در ميانه بازيهای آمادگی برای مسابقات المپيک، تعدادی از تيم های ليگ بسکتبال حرفه ای آمريکا، ، برای بستن قرارداد با اين بازيکن ابراز تمايل کرده بودند. اما پنج روز پيش به ليگ اطلاع داده شد که تا قبل از دريافت مجوز از اداره نظارت و کنترل بر دارائی های خارجی اجازه مذاکره با اين بازيکن را ندارند. اين جواز اکنون صادر شده و تيم های می توانند برای اولين بار در تاريخ بسکتبال حرفه ای آمريکا از يک بازیکن ايرانی استفاده کنند.

حدادی که دو متر و هجده سانت قد دارد در مسابقات المپيک پکن به ميانگين شانزده امتياز و ده ری باند دست يافت، هرچند که تيم بسکتبال ايران صاحب هيچ پيروزی نشد.