Need help selecting a new cell phone

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
I need to upgrade my existing cell phones and get new ones. I have a plan with AT&T (formerly Cingular), and I am going to keep that, so the phones need to work with AT&T service. I have looked at their website and there are a million phones out there. I don't need anything fancy, and I don't browse the web or do email on it. I don't even listen to mp3s on it (I might start if it has good enough battery life, so I don't kill it listening to music and be unable to make calls, LOL), but it has to have a decent camera. I have narrowed it down to 2-3 phones and wanted to get your opinion on them.

1. Sony Ericsson W580i
2. Samsung A737
3. Samsung A707 Sync

If you have one of these phones, or had them in the past and have an opinion on them, please share. Thanks.

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
i had the w800i and now have the k800i and i absolutely love it..

but i haven't even had 12 months of my 18 months contract and i got a call saying i can have a new phone now cuz i use mine a lot.. and now i'm stuck whether i should get the k850i or the N95 .. i've never bought a nokia and used to hate them but n95 has everything i need..but k850 is staying loyal to my brand and it looks better! lol and the only thing it lacks from n95 is the satnav..

Jan 23, 2003
If you want a phone that randomly changes wallpaper + ringtones and every now and then all the memory is lost then Nokia 6300 is the one for you :mad:

Ali(ISP)

Tottenham till I die
Oct 16, 2002
Southampton, UK
i had the w800i and now have the k800i and i absolutely love it..

but i haven't even had 12 months of my 18 months contract and i got a call saying i can have a new phone now cuz i use mine a lot.. and now i'm stuck whether i should get the k850i or the N95 .. i've never bought a nokia and used to hate them but n95 has everything i need..but k850 is staying loyal to my brand and it looks better! lol and the only thing it lacks from n95 is the satnav..
mate, why would you want sat nav on ur mobile? i mean yeah it sounds cool, but why do you really need it? if u lived in wales in the middle of nowhere maybe it would come handy, but lest face it, u aint gonna use it in bradford (or leeds) lol. im also looking to get a new phone, and was going to get a N95, but as u say k850 is just as nice. so im kinda stuck and dont know what to do lol

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
Guys, I appreciate the help, but lets stay on topic. I am not going to get the N95, because it does more than I want and costs more than I am willing to pay. Please let me know what you think of the specific models I listed, or at least give me brand comparisons, if you have owned both Samsung and SE and prefer one over the other. Thanks.

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
just stay off samsung...

go for Sony Ericsson..although a friend of mine had a high end samsung model and loved it, but if you ask me, stay off Samsung. I had only bad experiences with them.

And I have a SE 810 myself, but I would rather go for Nokia.

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
Thanks guys. I have pretty much decided to go with the SE. My wife saw it today and played with it and loves it, so it is a done deal. Now, I have to find a place for the best price. AT&T will give me one for $100 with a $50 mail in rebate, but I don't know if I can get a better deal somewhere else.

pansari

Bench Warmer
May 24, 2006
Arian...can you guess my reply ?

NOKIA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alila

National Team Player
Jun 9, 2006
a galaxy far far away
mate, why would you want sat nav on ur mobile? i mean yeah it sounds cool, but why do you really need it? if u lived in wales in the middle of nowhere maybe it would come handy, but lest face it, u aint gonna use it in bradford (or leeds) lol. im also looking to get a new phone, and was going to get a N95, but as u say k850 is just as nice. so im kinda stuck and dont know what to do lol
N95 battery suxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
az ma goftan

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
ideally, i would perfer the 8GB N95, which seems to be having a better battery life. but im not sure if i want to spend that much. will probably stick with sony ericsson.
ali would you not get it free on contract? I've never had to pay for any phone on my contract and i better not have to pay for N95.. the only thing is it's been out for a while and i think a few months after i get it, there would be a new phone that i would really want and be gutted that i'd be stuck for 18 months.. anyone got any news on any exciting phones coming out that we don't know about yet? lol

btw.. khorus jan you're making the right choice.. never seen unhappy SE users! :) (still though.. try and get the k850i or something :p 5mp camera.. you can't mess with!)

Ali(ISP)

Tottenham till I die
Oct 16, 2002
Southampton, UK
ali would you not get it free on contract? I've never had to pay for any phone on my contract and i better not have to pay for N95.. the only thing is it's been out for a while and i think a few months after i get it, there would be a new phone that i would really want and be gutted that i'd be stuck for 18 months.. anyone got any news on any exciting phones coming out that we don't know about yet? lol

btw.. khorus jan you're making the right choice.. never seen unhappy SE users! :) (still though.. try and get the k850i or something :p 5mp camera.. you can't mess with!)
mate, there are different versions of N95 (as far as i am told).

there is the normal N95 which has been out for a while, and its more or less free on most tarifs.

but the 8GB N95 (in black) is new(ish), and vodafone would charge around 100 pounds for that phone coz its just too new. The battery life of the normal N95 is meant to be horrible (and if ur on sony ericsson, they have excellent battery lives, so you would notice the difference straight away)... the new N95 is supposed to have a better battery life though.

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
well that solves the colour problem for me.. i wanted to still have a black phone! LOL ... yeah don't think i would get it free either.. but think i might try and if not.. i rather just wait a bit longer than be stuck with a phone i don't want for 18 months or put up with the battery thing.. esp as i listen to my music 24/7! lol

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
Well, I went and got 2 of the SE W580i phone last weekend, and so far I am very pleased. Going from Nokia to SE, I had to adjust a little to the menu system, but it is fine and I am not a tech user. It is also nice that it comes with the data cable and earphones that can also be used for handsfree talking. All in all it seems like a solid phone.

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
Well, I went and got 2 of the SE W580i phone last weekend, and so far I am very pleased. Going from Nokia to SE, I had to adjust a little to the menu system, but it is fine and I am not a tech user. It is also nice that it comes with the data cable and earphones that can also be used for handsfree talking. All in all it seems like a solid phone.
I think these days all of them come with it, but yeah, SE's package is quite good. The only downturn is to me that you can't transfer SMS to your computer..but I guess that only matters in Europe where you communicate a lot with SMS, like I do and hardly delete one.