Nuclear Deal about to happen?

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD
I don't think you can ever predict anything in politics but it does seem a deal might be made in a couple weeks. I predict massive street celebrations but that should be no surprise since our people would celebrate anything even losing 1-0 to Argentine.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I don't think the signing of the deal is at all certain.

Obama does not have full authority to suspend the sanctions.

Rouhani knows that $hitty deal will almost certainly guarantee he is a one term President.

Let's assume Obama can use his executive order Authority?
Khamenie does not know what happens after Obama? Does a President Hillary or President Republican
stay with a deal that they might spoke against in the campaign.

at any rate even if a deal happens. Khamenie might try to scuttle it before Rouahni's term is over.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
Kerry pulls Zarif aside and says you don't take this deal and you are up against those crazy Republicans in January. Khamenei for his part is telling Zarif say yes to anything they want. We just won't do them. Obama will be long gone by the time they find out.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Iran will accept the deal, then not comply. Same as always.

Sanctions will fluctuate for a while. Some moneys will get freed up and then after Obama (or even before), things will go back to square one.

This is a game both sides are happily willing to play indefinitely.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Kerry pulls Zarif aside and says you don't take this deal and you are up against those crazy Republicans in January.
Flint the thing is those "crazy republicans" had enough time to do something against these animals and they didnt do shit either. When it comes to middle east policy, there is not republican or democrat, then there is only servants of certain lobbies and those lobbies expect every single US admin no matter from which party, to be consistent in their foreign policy and specially regarding their approach in the middle east. So if you really expect a difference between republicans and democrats regarding iran, then you are wasting your time. We have seen both sides come and go in the last 35 years and they all more or less ended up making sure these animals stay where they are and get even more powerful.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
Flint the thing is those "crazy republicans" had enough time to do something against these animals and they didnt do shit either.
Very true. That was a tongue in cheek comment. The rise of Iran's nuclear program happened mostly under GW. As much as they say it is impossible to hit nuclear sites, I say BS. Those shiny chimneys and plants they show on TV every day are all in the open and look awfully vulnerable to me. Part of me even thinks it doesn't matter if IR has the bomb or not. They can't use it and can't sneak one into Gaza either without being noticed.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I say BS. Those shiny chimneys and plants they show on TV every day are all in the open and look awfully vulnerable to me.
First:
the western intelligence agencies are not necessarily convinced that Iran is actually trying to build a bomb.

mostly their consensus appears to be That Iran is trying to create Break out capacity so that they can build a bomb within a year's notice if they so decided.

Let's assume for a moment that the west can not live with an Iran that has Nukes (That's a big assumption)
Let's also assume that the west can not live with an Iran that has Breakout capacity (a bigger assumption.)

Thus far (last 14 years or so) the west has manged to monitor and manage Iran's nuclear program
using diplomacy.

You have to understand the mindset of western planners.

The western governments have to comply with various mandates such as implications on world economy, public opinion, strategic considerations, ....

The middle eastern point of view is life has no value and economic welfare of citizens is of little concern.

That's why from a sane American point of view using Military Power so long as there appears to be diplomatic room to run will be counter-productive.

Any Military Strike has certain risks however small those risks may appear to be.

But the more important implication of military strikes are that it will create an imbalance in a region that as it is has difficulty reaching an equilibrium.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
I am not advocating military action. I have long passed that view point. It is clear that the US isn't willing or doesn't want to stop Iran's nuclear program so what is the point of carrying this charade for another 10 years? The only losers are the people who have to endure sanctions. Fish or cut bait. The euphoria of Iran getting a nuclear weapon will last a bout a week. Hezbollah will fire a few celebratory shots in the air and then go back fighting Nusra in their back yard. Nuclear weapon is not going to help them.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I am not advocating military action. I have long passed that view point. It is clear that the US isn't willing or doesn't want to stop Iran's nuclear program so what is the point of carrying this charade for another 10 years? The only losers are the people who have to endure sanctions.
What gave you the impression that the U.S feels any responsibility toward the welfare of citizens of other countries?

The U.S has every intention of stopping it. It has thus far slowed it down. in politics there is saying if you can't stop something delay it. The U.S has done a very effective job at that without having seen the global commerce impacted even for day.

Fish or cut bait. The euphoria of Iran getting a nuclear weapon will last a bout a week. Hezbollah will fire a few celebratory shots in the air and then go back fighting Nusra in their back yard. Nuclear weapon is not going to help them.
By definition a Nuclear weapon is meant to be a deterrent not an offensive weapon.
In an unlikely case that Iran acquires one it will lack a delivery device that has range or any accuracy.