Obama orders new sanctions on Iran.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
[h=1]
Obama signs order implementing new Iran sanctions
[/h]

[HR][/HR]

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama has signed an executive order that carries out new sanctions against Iran that Congress approved and that he signed this summer.
The sanctions seek to deter Iran from pursuing a nuclear weapons program. Iran insists its nuclear development is for peaceful purposes.
White House National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor says stepped up sanction aimed at Iran have – in his words – "produced profound and demonstrable results."
Congress in August passed legislation that would expand sanctions to target individuals or companies who issue or purchase Iranian debt or who assist the Iranian government in the development or transportation of Iranian oil or its petrochemicals. The order Obama signed Tuesday sets up a framework for implementing the new sanctions.

Link

Does Obama think sanctions actually work? Iran's not getting money from the US, as if that's going to stop any sort of nuclear programme! Even if every country imposed this sort of sanction on Iran, Ahmadinejad will still persue the nuclear plans. Whether they are developing weapons or not, I don't think they're going to use it for attack purposes - only if Israel/US attacks, which they don't dare!

Unless I'm delusional.

spinhead

Elite Member
Oct 24, 2002
United States of Amnesia
Does Obama think sanctions actually work? Iran's not getting money from the US, as if that's going to stop any sort of nuclear programme! Even if every country imposed this sort of sanction on Iran, Ahmadinejad will still persue the nuclear plans. Whether they are developing weapons or not, I don't think they're going to use it for attack purposes - only if Israel/US attacks, which they don't dare!

Unless I'm delusional.
I agree with you. I do believe Iran is seeking to develop nuclear weapons for deterrence purposes. For example, if Iran had a nuclear weapon Saddam Hussain would not dare to attack Iran in 1980 and start the 8-year war. Also, US/Israel would not dare to threaten military action on a daily basis. So the calculation for acquiring at least the capability of rapid production of a nuclear weapon is correct IMO, just for it's deterrent value.

I also agree that sanctions will not stop this goal. You only have to look at North Korea to learn that your people could be starving under all kinds of sanctions and limitations and yet the country is able to develop nuclear weapons. So sanctions and other hostile acts and deeds not only do not prevent such development, but even accelerate it.

Sanctions are merely collective punishment on the poor Iran people who have little say about the actions of their unelected government. Sanctions are just pure animosity shown towards the Iranian people, something that we will not ever forget. Just like we will not ever forget the overthrow of Dr. Mossadegh in 1953. It is said the the Iranian people as the most pro-USA people in the middle-east or even the world. But these sanctions will go a long way toward squandering theis good will of the Iranian people towards USA. They had 12 years of sanctions on Saddam Hussain and according to the UN reports 500,000 children died as a result. Did Saddam Hussain miss a meal? No. At the end they had to spend billions of dollars and countless lives to over throw him themselves and now they are trapped in a quagmire.

IMO, the best way to prevent Iran from moving towards becoming a nuclear state is to give the security assurances and remove the feeling that this is a necessary evil that we have to do to prevent foreigners from destroying our country. Why doesn't Norway work on nukes? Because they don't feel they need to. US/Israel does not issue military threat to Norway on a daily basis, if they did, Norway too would seek nukes. So IMO the way to stop Iran on this path is not being hostile, but being friendly and remove their fears and insecurities. I would say as much as normalizing relations and having full political and economic relations, however, on eye-to-eye basis with equal respect. However, the problem is that the Europeans/Americans and their middle east colony (Israel) are used to looking at us brown people with a predator-to-prey look. Well thats not going to work anymore. Iranian people are now too sophisticated to be dominated by foreigners.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
If you check W.H official report and other news sources who included entire statement of Tommy Veitor you'll see an interesting statement which looks as a new premise for latest sanction to me.

US President Barack Obama issued an executive order that carries out sanctions approved previously by Congress. The new measures include cracking down on the provision of goods, services and technology to those who help the regime’s repression of the Iranian people.
This is new, either Obama is trying to counter Mitty's claim about his weak policies regarding Iran or there is something cooking which might surface in near future. I prefer the latter

Feb 22, 2005
When Biden first was chosen as VP of Obama, and knowing Biden is a great friend of Iranians, I thought that he would help weaken the regime. And I think the are going after them hard this time. Lets hope so and keep fingers crossed.

If you check W.H official report and other news sources who included entire statement of Tommy Veitor you'll see an interesting statement which looks as a new premise for latest sanction to me.

This is new, either Obama is trying to counter Mitty's claim about his weak policies regarding Iran or there is something cooking which might surface in near future. I prefer the latter

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States

The "technology" that is repressing the people consist of knives, sticks and the fear of being taken away from their home in the middle of the night. This is what broke the Green movement.

Feb 22, 2005
You forgot the biggest one, I think it was rape of the kids, both boys and girls and the news of it spreading that was a major factor, along with brutal torture.

The "technology" that is repressing the people consist of knives, sticks and the fear of being taken away from their home in the middle of the night. This is what broke the Green movement.

Feb 17, 2009
Congratulations, ala homa sala ala mohammad va ale mohammad !!!! Amrica hich ghalati nemikonad because yare emam sahebe keshvar hastand alan :D

parham79

Bench Warmer
Dec 5, 2009
I agree with you. I do believe Iran is seeking to develop nuclear weapons for deterrence purposes. For example, if Iran had a nuclear weapon Saddam Hussain would not dare to attack Iran in 1980 and start the 8-year war. Also, US/Israel would not dare to threaten military action on a daily basis. So the calculation for acquiring at least the capability of rapid production of a nuclear weapon is correct IMO, just for it's deterrent value.

I also agree that sanctions will not stop this goal. You only have to look at North Korea to learn that your people could be starving under all kinds of sanctions and limitations and yet the country is able to develop nuclear weapons. So sanctions and other hostile acts and deeds not only do not prevent such development, but even accelerate it.

Sanctions are merely collective punishment on the poor Iran people who have little say about the actions of their unelected government. Sanctions are just pure animosity shown towards the Iranian people, something that we will not ever forget. Just like we will not ever forget the overthrow of Dr. Mossadegh in 1953. It is said the the Iranian people as the most pro-USA people in the middle-east or even the world. But these sanctions will go a long way toward squandering theis good will of the Iranian people towards USA. They had 12 years of sanctions on Saddam Hussain and according to the UN reports 500,000 children died as a result. Did Saddam Hussain miss a meal? No. At the end they had to spend billions of dollars and countless lives to over throw him themselves and now they are trapped in a quagmire.

IMO, the best way to prevent Iran from moving towards becoming a nuclear state is to give the security assurances and remove the feeling that this is a necessary evil that we have to do to prevent foreigners from destroying our country. Why doesn't Norway work on nukes? Because they don't feel they need to. US/Israel does not issue military threat to Norway on a daily basis, if they did, Norway too would seek nukes. So IMO the way to stop Iran on this path is not being hostile, but being friendly and remove their fears and insecurities. I would say as much as normalizing relations and having full political and economic relations, however, on eye-to-eye basis with equal respect. However, the problem is that the Europeans/Americans and their middle east colony (Israel) are used to looking at us brown people with a predator-to-prey look. Well thats not going to work anymore. Iranian people are now too sophisticated to be dominated by foreigners.
How naive are you? The mollahs are not developing the nuke to portect iran or the people, they are developing it to portect their regimes survival and it's future generations.

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
My 2 Cents -
There are no sanctions in place.......unless the world stops paying $$$ to IR for oil.....and right now there are over 25 countries (including England) which have been exempted (by Obama) from US Sanctions against buying oil from Iran!!!

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
Iranian opposition can easily counter the technology of knives and sticks, what they lack is how to counter technology of wire/phone tapping. Eavesdropping, MSM/email intercepting, website filtering and internet blocking, majority provided by Siemens and Nokia.

Feb 22, 2005
Masoud, I know you mean well, but my friend, come back down to earth. There has been sanction against currency, the first time ever applied, hitting the IR hard.

It makes it difficult to sell oil as they have to exchange currency.

My 2 Cents -
There are no sanctions in place.......unless the world stops paying $$$ to IR for oil.....and right now there are over 25 countries (including England) which have been exempted (by Obama) from US Sanctions against buying oil from Iran!!!

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
Masoud, I know you mean well, but my friend, come back down to earth. There has been sanction against currency, the first time ever applied, hitting the IR hard.

It makes it difficult to sell oil as they have to exchange currency.
I know you mean well too - but again.....all other sanctions against IR are meaningless as long as IR gets $$ for Iran's oil....get it? The crash of Rial does not hurt IR - it hurts only the people of Iran.