Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Jun 18, 2005
No my friend. We are all awake and you are the one who keeps dreaming. Could you kindly give a list of his peace achievements please?

My list of achievements is actually longer: I broke up a fight between my kids last night and contributed to the world peace.
You could perhaps read some of my previous posts under this thread. If you are serious about reading and discussion that is.

Aug 26, 2005
I think you need to read on what Obama has done already. If you think it has been just promises so far then you have been pretty much sleeping the last 9 months.
What I don't get is that all I hear from the dems is that Obama hasn't been in office enough to be judged on...yet suddenly there's enough proof for him to have won the Nobel Peace Prize award.

Let's be serious, it's not really a huge deal (this disagreement, that is). But it just goes to show you how manipulative these powerful groups are when they give prestigious (LOL) awards to these kinds of politicians and the poor man on the street actually believes them. That's what gets my gripe, I couldn't care less about anything else.

Sith

IPL Player
Jun 13, 2005
www.wegotitfirst.com
Sorry I haven't gone through all the posts, but can someone explain what has he done to deserve the prize?

Is this a joke? I don't think Obama should accept this. It would be insulting to those who dedicate their life for peace.

Oct 18, 2002
The more I think about it, the more I see Obama to be deserving this award.

He removed the US missile defense shields from eastern Europe which has improved the relations between USA and Russia.

He signed an agreement with Russian president to limit the nuclear war heads.

USA has began diplomatic talks with Cuba, eased sanctions and travel restrictions.
To sum up the achievements you listed:

1. He hasn't bombed anybody yet.

2. He hasn't bombed anybody yet

3. He hasn't bombed anybody yet

4. He hasn't bombed anybody yet

5. ....

Aug 26, 2005
Deerouz, that list is unfair and misleading. He has only been in office 10 months. Give him time to bomb someone.

Mehran(ISP)

<b>Administrator</b>
Oct 16, 2002
MD, USA
What I don't get is that all I hear from the dems is that Obama hasn't been in office enough to be judged on...yet suddenly there's enough proof for him to have won the Nobel Peace Prize award.

Let's be serious, it's not really a huge deal (this disagreement, that is). But it just goes to show you how manipulative these powerful groups are when they give prestigious (LOL) awards to these kinds of politicians and the poor man on the street actually believes them. That's what gets my gripe, I couldn't care less about anything else.
Yes, you say this and it makes sense, than the other side can bring up Shirin Ebadi and argue otherwise. I really don't think this is that big of a deal. Tutu won the prize for being the first Black Archibishop, why can't the first black president of a major world power win it to say the least. Putting aside the bare minimum of all arguments about his achievments and promises. You have to be in the U.S to know the politics of what kind of achievement that is. Don't forget it was just over 40 years ago where everything was segragated based on race. Black schools, churches, cafe's. This is a milestone of its own opening the gates for many other opportunities. Just imagine England having a black Prime Minister, or Spain, Germany, France, Italy, etc...

Aug 26, 2005
Mehran jan, you make a good point and I am not saying all the Peace prize winners were fake and phonies. But, geez, there's quite a few of them and some of them that are so glaring that it's pretty amazing. You see some of those names and Osama Bin Laden wouldn't be so out of place. :p If anything, that makes the choice to award these kinds of winning candidates even more reprehensible - mixing the likes of Mandela and Kissinger. Essentially, using the good name of one to prop the other up.

Gaining the presidency aside, as a black man, he was supported with a lot...a lot of money and power. It was a feat to be the first black man, but when your predecessor was George W Bush you could be handicapped and you'd have a shot at winning. And regardless of that, the award was given for "international diplomacy" not simply him winning the US elections which is a domestic affair.

Jun 18, 2005
The award, announced in Oslo by the Nobel Committee while much of official Washington — including the president — was still asleep, cited in particular the president’s efforts to rid the world of nuclear weapons.
“He has created a new international climate,” the committee said.

US President Barack Obama and Russia's Dmitry Medvedev launched a milestone quest Wednesday to slash their nuclear arsenals, hoping to reverse the worst slump in the former foes' ties since the Cold War.
http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Obama_Medvedev_seek_huge_nuclear_weapons_cuts_999.html

Easing Travel and Sanctions on Cuba

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Obama intends to lift the U.S. ban on family members traveling to Cuba and remittances to the island, two senior administration officials said Saturday.
Obama will announce the policy change before this month's Summit of the Americas in Trinidad and Tobago, according to the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the announcement had not yet been made.
The move would fulfill a pledge Obama made during the presidential campaign and could signal a new openness with the communist nation.
Canceling the installation of US missile shields in Eastern Europe and better relations with Russia:

Barack Obama took office undecided about Bush's plan to base 10 interceptor missiles in Poland and sophisticated radar in the Czech Republic – a system designed to shoot down long-range missiles that might be fired from Iran or elsewhere in the Middle East. Building had not started in either country.
The Czech installation was planned for the Brdy military installation 55 miles (90 kilometers) southwest of Prague. The Polish site was to be at a former military air base near the town of Redzikowo, about 115 miles from Russia's westernmost edge.
Obama has been reaching out to Russia, which had expressed outrage at the notion of missiles being pointed in its direction from a region that was firmly in the Soviet orbit just 20 years ago.
On Thursday, Obama announced he was shifting the plan from Eastern Europe to other locations. He and other administration officials said they have concluded that Iran's medium- and short-range missiles pose a greater threat and require more flexible technology.
Reaching out to the Muslim world

(CNN) -- President Obama went to Notre Dame, a Catholic university, to do the abortion speech, and to the National Archives to do the Guantanamo speech, so James Zogby hopes when Obama gets to Cairo, Egypt, on Thursday, he'll do the Middle East speech.
Obama's successes in previous major addresses on subjects such as race serve only to raise expectations for this one, said Zogby, the president of the Arab American Institute in Washington.
"He has defined himself with his tendency to take on the big issue with the big speech -- and deliver," he said.
What Zogby wants Obama to deliver in Cairo is nothing less than a breakthrough in the Arab-Israeli conflict, he said.
Opposing the Israeli settlements in West Bank, a shift in US policy

On the day Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas met with President Obama to promote the pan-Arab peace plan, Israelis are concerned over an apparent shift in policy toward them from their closest ally.

The Obama administration has signaled a tough new stance that is opposed to Israel's settlement building in the occupied West Bank.
The issue of the settlements as an impediment to a peace process was emphasized today by Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas when he visited Obama at the Whie House, one week after Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu came to Washington.

Aug 26, 2005
Hasn't Ahmadinejad called for world-wide disarmament countless times? :)

I read somewhere who and why he was nominated won't be revealed for 50 years, per Nobel protocol.

Oct 20, 2003
To sum up the achievements you listed:

1. He hasn't bombed anybody yet.

2. He hasn't bombed anybody yet

3. He hasn't bombed anybody yet

4. He hasn't bombed anybody yet

5. ....
I am not defending his Nobel Prize winning, but in a short period he has been at the white house, he has accomplished the following:

Decision to cancel the Eastern European Sheild
Decision to leave Iraq
Decision to close down Guantanamo Bay
Calling for a new beginning with the Muslim world
Changing the foreign policy of the US from Unilateralism, to engagement
Last but least not abandoning the doctrine of "You're either with us or against us" :).

Aug 26, 2005
I am not defending his Nobel Prize winning, but in a short period he has been at the white house, he has accomplished the following:

Decision to cancel the Eastern European Sheild
Decision to leave Iraq
Last but not abandoning the doctrine of "You're either with us or against us" :).
He's also decided to keep troops in Iraq, send more to Afghanistan and Iran seems to be in the equation too.

He doesn't know yet what is going to happen with the Guantanamo detainees and has refused to prosecute Bush and co.

And unless he gets out of Isreal's ass - which he won't - he can't repair the muslim relations.

Also, he's called for, IIRC, extensions of the Patriot Act.

...I mean, for every one of those points, there is a retort. But simply put, he's not done anything but promised to do some things.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2002
Decision to leave Iraq
Not done yet
Not done yet.
Not done yet.
All of them remain promises at the moment.

Changing the foreign policy of the US from Unilateralism, to engagement
Last but least not abandoning the doctrine of "You're either with us or against us" :).
IP jan, if now "anything above Bush's policy" is the standard for who can get the nobel prize, I think I could be a serious contender!

Jun 18, 2005
This discussion is not going anywhere while the other side keeps ignoring the points raised.

Yes Obama is in bed with Israel and they have got their eyes on Iran! Furthermore Obama has done nothing but giving speeches. Why watch Glenn Beck when you can read the same crap here on ISP. :slowz:

Oct 20, 2003
Not done yet
Not done yet.
Not done yet.
All of them remain promises at the moment.
deerouz JAn, he had to start from somewhere, true these steps are not completed yet but how long has he being in office exaclty. The better question is has he seriously pursued such promises and goals? I think the answer is a resouding yes. These steps take time and effort. He is on the right track in accomplishing those steps.

btw: Glenn Beck has opined; "Nobel Prize committee awards its 1st 'participation' trophy" :).

Aug 26, 2005
Obama/Dems are lucky. Repubs are stupid enough to shoot themselves in the foot by making a mockery of the criticism against the award. Hannity, O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Beck...etc. Dumbass/Crazy United.

Aug 26, 2005
This discussion is not going anywhere while the other side keeps ignoring the points raised.

Yes Obama is in bed with Israel and they have got their eyes on Iran! Furthermore Obama has done nothing but giving speeches. Why watch Glenn Beck when you can read the same crap here on ISP. :slowz:
LOL, you're just at the other side of the spectrum when it comes to Beck and co.

Are you seriously going to deny that Obama is in bed with Isreal? Did you actually watch the AIPAC speech? The world's already had 8 years with half of America acting as apologists for one President, please spare us another 8 years with the other half of America doing so.

How about plain old critique when necessary and praise when deserved? This partisan support is just dumb, frankly.

Jun 18, 2005
LOL, you're just at the other side of the spectrum when it comes to Beck and co.

Are you seriously going to deny that Obama is in bed with Isreal? Did you actually watch the AIPAC speech? The world's already had 8 years with half of America acting as apologists for one President, please spare us another 8 years with the other half of America doing so.

How about plain old critique when necessary and praise when deserved? This partisan support is just dumb, frankly.
The least you could have done was to read the posts before commenting so quickly.

The right alleges that Obama is Israel's enemy and will doom them, Kazem claims that Barack is in bed with the Zionist state!

Maybe you were sleeping when Obama firmly told Bibi to stop and dismantle the settlements in West Bank? Even though Israel was and perhaps still is firmly against such a move.