Oil Hitting $1 a gallon?

Pirouz

Bench Warmer
Feb 14, 2005
Can
www.klarweb.com
A small town hitting $1.29...I saw online that the cheapest in the Toronto area has been 71.9, so maybe 60's for canadians soon.

I better see cheaper flights and prices at the supermarket since they can't blame this anymore!

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/549153

Oil hits 4-year low

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) – Oil prices hit four-year lows Friday as employers cut the highest number of jobs in 34 years. The continuing decline in prices is so dramatic and so sudden that it is raising the prospect that gas prices could soon reach $1 a gallon.
Crude prices plunged immediately, at one point reaching $40.81, after the Labor Department reported a half million people had lost their jobs in November.

Demand for fuel has withered amid an economic tailspin, as companies cut back production and slash jobs.
Light, sweet crude for January delivery fell to $2.47 $41.20 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange by early afternoon.
The Labor Department reported that employers slashed a far worse-than-expected 533,000 jobs and the unemployment rate jumped to a 15-year high of 6.7 percent. Analysts were looking for job losses of 320,000.

It was the sixth straight day of declines for crude prices, with each release of new economic data outlining a stunning deterioration for the U.S. economy. Earlier this week, the National Bureau of Economic Research determined that the U.S. has been in a recession for a year.
Since the start of the recession, the economy has lost 1.9 million jobs, the number of unemployed people increased by 2.7 million and the jobless rate rose by 1.7 percentage points.

Crude prices have fallen 72 percent from record July highs.

"At this point, it's just keeps going, going and going," Peter Beutel of Cameron Hanover.

Crude could soon reach levels last seen in July 2004 when prices were last below $40 a barrel.
Prices at the pump fell 1.6 cents overnight to $1.773 nationally, according to AAA, the Oil Price Information Service and Wright Express. That is down 63.2 cents from a month ago, $1.261 from a year ago and $2.338 from just five month ago.

The jobs numbers suggest that demand for gasoline, which has been running well below year-ago levels even with the cheaper prices in the last several weeks, will fall even more in early 2009 as work-related driving plummets, said Tom Kloza, publisher and chief oil analyst at Oil Price Information Service.

"I believe that January 2009 will represent the most 'challenging' and ugly economic month of my lifetime, and my first memory is of Sputnik," Kloza posted on his blog Thursday.

He said retail prices could reach $1.25 a gallon soon in parts of the Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Missouri.
In Neelyville, Mo., population 501, prices at one station in the southeast Missouri town hit $1.29, according to gasbuddy.com, where motorists post gas prices.

In other Nymex trading, gasoline futures dropped more than 4 pennies to fetch 92.7 cents. Heating oil slid 6.5 cents to $1.44a gallon while natural gas for January delivery shed 24.7 cents to sell at $5.77 per 1,000 cubic feet.
In London, January Brent crude slipped by $2.42 cents to $39.86 on the ICE Futures exchange.

Agha Shojaa

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2002
Canada
It's good news for those who are abroad but sadly, people at home will suffer. To be honest, as much as I hate IRI and its thugs, high gas prices never bothered me that much. I know they made IRI's fat pocket even fatter but Iranian people could have been a lot more in trouble than they are today had oil prices stayed low.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
It's good news for those who are abroad but sadly, people at home will suffer. To be honest, as much as I hate IRI and its thugs, high gas prices never bothered me that much. I know they made IRI's fat pocket even fatter but Iranian people could have been a lot more in trouble than they are today had oil prices stayed low.
"Trickle" down theory is really at work in Iran. The $150 oil made no difference in the living standards. People were as strapped for cash as ever. Nobody felt rich. The country never saw an oil boom. Heck, gas was rationed and got more expensive. The only people who get squeezed now are IR officials.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
"Trickle" down theory is really at work in Iran. The $150 oil made no difference in the living standards. People were as strapped for cash as ever. Nobody felt rich. The country never saw an oil boom. Heck, gas was rationed and got more expensive. The only people who get squeezed now are IR officials.
yeah exactly. The only difference it'd make for ppl of Iran is that now Iran officials have a great excuse to not give back "retirement pension" equalization that they promised teachers for 4 yrs now, or any other overdue payments they owe to employees,labours,etc.

On a personal note though, its one of the best time, if not the best, to buy Energy fund. :) keep it for 3 yrs and boom u get %70-80 profit with a $150 oil price again!