One piece of advice put your kid into boxing at an early age

RaminS

Feb 19, 2009
I'm really blessed and lucky that my mom and dad started me out in boxing at an early age. When I was six I started taking boxing. The reason is stupid but I loved the movie Rocky and I wanted to learn boxing. My mom and dad were smart though because they never limited me to one boxing style. Once you master one form of boxing switch to another. As a kid I learned slugger and boxer-puncher boxing which are great starters. Boxing teaches you great footwork and how to throw a punch properly.

After I learned boxing I studied kickboxing because you need to be comfortable fighting on the ground as well. Now for the last month I have been taking krav maga to honor my Russian roots which is really the most challenging thing I have ever taken. It takes like 7-8 years to master it because it is so deadly it is the ninja arts so you deceive your opponent on your attack, and you learn balance above everything.

Chances are because your kid is Iranian he/she is going to get targeted. It is what it is. Hey when I was growing up in the 70's I had to deal with a bunch of prejudice. On top of that I was always on the small side until I grew up in high school Junior Year, so people always wanted to kick my a$$.

I always recommend folks to put their kids into boxing at an early age because it really teaches your kid three important life lessons.
1-Discipline-You get a lot of discipline because practicing boxing takes time, patience, and discipline.
2-Respect-You learn how to respect people and your elders because boxing in general is based on a seniority system.
3-You learn how to defend yourself in a fight. I never approve or advocate fighting but if you need to fight becasue you are forced to defend yourself, that is a different story. However, there is no honor in starting a fight just because you are a better fighter than the other guy.

I think sports, boxing, and music are three very important things you can teach your child on top of homework. Sometimes though with Iranian mom and dads they focus so much on school they forget about other things and your child won't be as well rounded.

That's just my two cents I highly recommend anyone who has a kid that is six or seven, boy or girl, to start boxing at an early age. Boxing is a good start because boxing teaches you defense and not too many people know defense. Everyone and their mamma knows Maui Tai and jujitsu but hardly anyone these days knows boxing.

Honestly stay away from Takwando and Kung Fu, . Honestly those martial arts forms are mainly for show and flashyness and nothing more. If you want to learn how to properly fight take something meaningful. Takwando is a great sport and you learn flashy kicks and Kung Fu is also cool as well but not very effective in a real fight.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
This story reminds me of Parviz Baadpa Asian champion who got ahead of himself challenging Muhammad Ali before embarking to Montreal Olympics and saying: man badpaam na bargeh choghondar !

Kayhan varzeshi printed a big picture of him on the ring floor after he was knocked out by a Trinidad boxer in few seconds into the match and wrote in big letters:
In Badpaast na bargeh choghondar !
:LOL: