One step closer - Inter vs Barcelona

ibrahim

Bench Warmer
Oct 20, 2002
Sydney

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]
Interesting Blog:

Inter are one step from the Champions League Final but
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Steve Wilson[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular], after watching the performance of Lionel Messi, wonders just how they will defeat Barcelona[/FONT]!!

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Well, if you are going to do something, you may as well do it the hard way – and Inter certainly have to do it the hard way in their European Cup semi-final. After a confident, but understated, 2-0 aggregate win against underdogs CSKA Moscow, the Nerazzurri will have sat back in their hotel and watched the match that decided their semi-final opponent. It is entirely possible that they have emerged from behind the sofa by the time you read this…

Okay, of course it is a little disrespectful to suggest a side containing players of the experience and ability of Javier Zanetti, Dejan Stankovic, Samuel Eto’o and Wesley Sneijder will be cowering at the prospect of facing Lionel Messi. However, it would be a fool who did not acknowledge that the little Argentine is currently the undisputed best player in the world and a legitimate threat to Inter’s ambitions. His four star show against Arsenal was simply sublime.

But before looking too far ahead let’s pause to praise Inter for their progress. Seven years after their last appearance the Serpenti are back on the cusp of achieving Massimo Moratti’s ultimate ambition. Jose Mourinho was brought in to deliver the Champions League crown, and despite the recent domestic stumbles, he is still on target for that goal. Now just one clash stands between Inter and their first European Cup Final since 1972 – but can they really defeat Barca?

For all the magic of Messi, until his fourth goal Arsenal were still realistically a crazy five minutes of fine play away from salvaging a result. Three goals over two games indicates that the Catalans are susceptible at the back. Meanwhile, Inter have not conceded in their last three continental outings. Factor in the reality that Inter have already faced Barca twice this term, and hopefully learned from the games, and you can see some clear positives.

Furthermore, the Zlatan Ibrahimovic-Samuel Eto’o swap deal adds another factor. Eto’o has faced Carles Puyol, Gerard Pique, Dani Alves and Eric Abidal time and again in training. If anyone knows their weaknesses he does. Similarly, the Inter players know all Ibra’s trade secrets. This cuts both ways, but certainly gives Inter an advantage they would not have had against Manchester United.

Then you must consider Mourinho’s past history with Barcelona. Employed at the Nou Camp as Bobby Robson’s interpreter, and then assistant to Louis Van Gaal, he would love nothing more than to succeed on the turf of his former employers. It is a feeling he has already experienced against Chelsea, but to eliminate Barcelona – the undoubted top team in the world at present – would be a far greater achievement.

So can Inter do it? They have their own magicians in their ranks. Sneijder’s free-kick goal – scored through a cleverly created gap in the wall by Eto’o – against CSKA, Eto’o’s burst of pace and cool finish against Chelsea, Lucio and Samuel’s defensive master-class in the same tie. All those talents, plus JoMo’s tactical dexterity, suggest it is a real possibility. For the past few seasons I have tipped Inter to win the European Cup, is this the year it pays off?
[/FONT]

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Inter can defeat Barca. They have the players, now the system, the manager, etc.

It will be an interesting game. Before I lose to any team, I prefer to lose to Arsenal or Inter. However, fuck me...Puyol lifting the trophy in Bernabeu....sorry..you can win it next year...

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
Barça will have a harder time against Inter than Arsenal. Mainly because Inter has alot more quality in defence than Arsenal; Lucio-Samuel is quite a different level than Vermaelen-Gallas/Silvestre. Also because Inter is much better at containing a team than Arsenal is, and have a tactically stronger coach. Arsenal's better technically but that's no use against a team that can do it much better. I still expect Barça to go through tho.

saeed agha

IPL Player
Oct 20, 2002
UAE
It will be a hard game for Barca NOT... Messi will come to rescue once again. I think CL is almost guaranteed for Barca this year. no real continder has remained. Inter was already beaten by Barca this year. Manchester is not good enough (they are old).. so no real challenege.
Now the real challenge is La Liga.. if they can beat Real then they are guaranteed the double at least.

IPride

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
What happens with Inter will depend on what happens this weekend. Barca will have a chance in the CL as long as they are hopeful about winning the league.

As for Inter itself, I think the game is going to be battle between the midfields. Mourinho has enough fire power in that department to cause problems..