Paraguay v. Japan (R) Live Updates

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
This was one of those events when even the anthems were shithouse! I think all records of this match ever having taken place should be destroyed or sent to Area 51 for safekeeping! Surely the human race can't let dvds of this shit circulate in public for future generations to find! What will they think of us?
Why don't you just stop watching. Nobody is forcing you.

Oct 18, 2002
here
www.apfn.org
how bout doing it my way?
after the 2, 15 mins. if still a tie;

get 6 out of each team and send them to semi
:D
or 7, or 8, I mean considering the subs, so dont be surprised about 12. the goalis will have to play 1 half only.
then everyone will live happily ever after

Oct 18, 2002
here
www.apfn.org
ROFL @ ehsan :D

good one :)

oh man set bladder is considering technology for goal line and sent apologies to england!

but fifa's problem is that if they just do the wc game then they think they have to do all games, they think what if someone in zaeir or bangladesh didnt have the new technology available, then fifa has to pay for it..
i think is more about money than keeping the tradition

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
FIFA's official world cup website still has not acknowledged an error was made by the referees in that game. Below is a paragraph from the official match review of the website that refers to the incident:

England pulled a goal back in the 37th minute when a short Lampard corner from the right was played to Gerrard who crossed into the box. Upson, atoning for his earlier error, rose highest above the Germany defence and with Neuer stranded, powered a header into the net. Meetings between these two sides often provide talking points and this one's came 60 seconds later when Lampard's shot from the edge of the box struck the underside of the crossbar and bounced down, with the referee ruling the ball had not crossed the goalline.
No mention that the ball did in fact cross the line! Not showing replays in stadiums is one thing, but hiding the truth after the fact is utter arrogance! What little respect they have for their own audience's intelligence!

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
What a boring game !!! ...
I really don't understand this ...
Teams in 1/16 of world cup and going to 1/4 and don't have any passion for scoring and attacking ...
No more Asian / North American teams in world cup ...
This shows that Football still belongs to South America and Europe and the rest are just a show ...

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I think penalty is necessary for this case ...
Even if they played for 3 days in a row, the wouldn't have scored :D
I disagree! If the teams know there's no penalties to fall back on, they have to come out and score. Its either that or get scored on! I think too many defensive minded coaches like the luxury of penalties not only for their chance to win, but to also mask the teams inefficiencies if they lose! So they can come out and say "we only lost on penalties, we were equal blah blah blah".

And I hate it when commentators say, "penalties are a terrible way to lose" when they're trying to console the losers of PKs. Well, penalties are a fucking terrible way to win also! You can do fuck all for 120 minutes and progress based on fuck all!

Don't forget South Korea came third in the last Asian Cup by not scoring a single goal in the knockout phase! Imagine if they'd won it with that stat!

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I disagree! If the teams know there's no penalties to fall back on, they have to come out and score. Its either that or get scored on! I think too many defensive minded coaches like the luxury of penalties not only for their chance to win, but to also mask the teams inefficiencies if they lose! So they can come out and say "we only lost on penalties, we were equal blah blah blah".

And I hate it when commentators say, "penalties are a terrible way to lose" when they're trying to console the losers of PKs. Well, penalties are a fucking terrible way to win also! You can do fuck all for 120 minutes and progress based on fuck all!

Don't forget South Korea came third in the last Asian Cup by not scoring a single goal in the knockout phase! Imagine if they'd won it with that stat!
The ideology is that 120 minute couldn't determine the result so let's have penalty ...
Just compare the Ghana - USA game, both teams were trying to hard to win but in comparison to this game ... both teams didn't show any passion ....

So there might be a good way to play more and more like Hockey ... but 120 minute is exhaustive enough for players ... unless more substitution is allowed

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I know no one can predict for sure, but my theory is that if there is no penalties to fall back on, most of these games will actually be decided within regulation time. That's because there's no fall back! You have to go out there and you have to either win or lose on the football pitch, not on the penalty spot!

If the game does go to extra time, I believe taking 1 player out from each team every 10-15 minutes will open it up more. There will be a goal and I guarantee it won't take long at all! With less players on the field and teams tiring, mistakes will creep in and someone will score!

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
I was pretty impressed with Paraguay today. They're a stable team, can control a game and have creativity. Da Silva-Alcaraz is a good central duo in defence, and Bonet and Morel are dangerous on the flanks. Ortigoza was great today, both as a DM as well as being the starting point of lots of attacks. In attack Paraguay has lots of depth, with Barrios, Santa Cruz, Benitez, Valdez and Cardozo all being good options. They've been very good this tournament, and out of the South American teams have definitely impressed me more than Uruguay (who really only have Forlán who's been phenomenal), and I'm doubting about Chile. Chile has more talent, is a more dynamic team and has more potential, but Paraguay is consistent, stable, stronger defensively and unlike Chile they can control a game when they have to and have creativity as well.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Well the game sucked ass but i observed something that i really have to share. There are a couple of paraguay players who have played in the Bundesliga and can speak german. German TV interviewed them today and its unbelievable how naturally unselfish these guys are. They seem to play just for the sake of the happiness of their countrymen. They laugh like babies when they are told that people back home are dancing on the streets. Its so touching, so nice. Its not the first time, i have seen something like that, these guys just love to make their countrymen happy. This little country has had a real tough history losing a massive and cruel war against an alliance of Brazil Argentina and Uruguay inwhich Paraguay lost around 70% of their population and 140 000km² of their territory to Argentina and Brazil. Since then, they keep together big time, they feel for eachother, no matter what they play or where they play they always underline the importance to make their countrymen be happy. I love it. This is how it should be.

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Really?! So you think Paraguay's win is proof for them being mentally stronger than Japan?
IMHO, Yes of course. Penalty is all about being ready mentally. If two teams can not beat each other within the regulation and extra time (mostly physical part of the game), then it is time to see who is ready mentally to advance and as I said before, I find penalty kicks to be very exciting. This does not mean it is fair, but definitely exciting.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
IMHO, Yes of course. Penalty is all about being ready mentally. If two teams can not beat each other within the regulation and extra time (mostly physical part of the game), then it is time to see who is ready mentally to advance and as I said before, I find penalty kicks to be very exciting. This does not mean it is fair, but definitely exciting.
I agree with you ...
Life is not fair so is penalty shoot-out