PC Building Question - AMD or Intel ?

Zopyrus

Bench Warmer
Aug 11, 2004
Hey!

I've done alot of research about the different components to be installed onto a PC, but I'm stuck wether to go for AMD or Intel?? Which one is most stable?

It's really hard to decide on exactly what motherboard & processor one wants, (SOCKET 775 // AM2 - are the latest socket builds for intel resp. AMD right?), so I need some guidance, AMD or Intel? Why?

I don't play that much, but when I do - I want it to play the best of games smoothly (graphic card issue, i know) - I simply want to upgrade my current pc into a modern strong one, I don't intend to go for a i.e. a AMD FX Processor just yet, but I want my motherboard to have that compatibility - same goes for Intel.

I was thinking, If I go for AMD, I would probably buy - Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3,0GHz) Socket AM2 Box - Would that be a good one? I haven't found anything faster than that except going for FX..? What's Intels correspondence to that one?

Thanx in advance

Last edited:

Zopyrus

Bench Warmer
Aug 11, 2004
Been reading even further and checked out some INTEL vs AMD reviews.. apparently the Intel Core 2 Duo is stronger than AMD X2, so I guess Im going for Intel. B.t.w. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between ||| Core 2 Duo E6700 2,67GHz Box // Core 2 Duo E6700 2,67GHz Tray ||| ?? Box or Tray? The price difference is quite huge..

And just to have my facts straight -- The toplist should be something like this?

1. Intel Core 2 Quad
2. Intel Core 2 Extreme
3. Intel Core 2 Duo
.....pentium.....

Zopyrus

Bench Warmer
Aug 11, 2004
It's been a tough read, but I've come down to this:

Processor - Core 2 Duo E6700 2,67GHz

Motherboard - P5N32-E SLI Plus // P6N SLI Platinum // EVGA nForce 680i SLI - They all have SLI and are Core 2 Quad compatible. So I won't need to think about changing motherboard in the future?

Choosing motherboard is a pain in the butt.. any warnings about these components?

Last edited:

shayanm

Bench Warmer
Nov 1, 2006
Well, i can recommend you this build;

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 | 2.4Ghz | 800/1033 Mhz FSB | 4MB L2 cache|
Asus P5N32-SLI
2GB Corsair DDR2 PC6400 4-4-4-12
Seagate Barracuda 120GB (now u can get upto 320Gb with a great price) 7200rPm

Asus

Bench Warmer
Jul 24, 2004
Montreal Canada
Get the E6600.
and becareful which Asus P5N32-SLI you get because one of them is the 650i and they are both named exactly the same. But the EVGA one is much much better. (and again dont get an SLI board if you dont want SLI)

shayanm

Bench Warmer
Nov 1, 2006
Get the E6600.
and becareful which Asus P5N32-SLI you get because one of them is the 650i and they are both named exactly the same. But the EVGA one is much much better. (and again dont get an SLI board if you dont want SLI)
yeah, it doesnt really affect performance that much and SLi is less intense than Crossfire tho i heard.

dariush-44

Bench Warmer
Oct 15, 2004
I was purchasing a laptop and for a full 24 hour I was researching this from the internet and store to store. Intel have the upper hand right now with their Core Duo.

Pentium Duo is competiting with AMD Turion x2...but Intel came up with the Core duo now and AMD doesn't have anything to compete with them yet.

So for now, if you want to go with the latest go with Centrino Core Due. AMD was good 2 years ago for gaming and khar kari but now that's not even a concern because Intel's new processor are doing well as far as speed, heat, and all that shit is concerned.